Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
quote:
Originally posted by HunterJim:
As far as the poll goes, the F&S guys are just fishing to make noise and sell magazines.

There is no spirit of game laws,
jim

Jim, while I agree entirely on your first sentence, I disagree entirely on your second. No surprise as you know me well enough to have guessed that. But muzzleloading seasons and laws in many, if not most states, were designed around the technology of the common early 19th century firearms.

Without a doubt, that has been completely lost on the bulk of modern muzzleloading hunters.

While inlines, in and of themselves offer no major advantages, the modern bullets certainly do as do scopes. The latter more for light issues than for range - though most people do not know how to shoot iron sights to their full potential. And then there are those that have to shoot smokeless powder. What's the point of a muzzleloading season with all of this?

Open sights and roundballs would be sufficient limitations, but unfortunatly, few states are willing to buck the technology trend.

If you decide to look for a flinter, there are better rifles out there than the Mortimer.

Brent

Howdy Brent,

I seem to be drawn into the black side this year, powder that is. I have tags now for ML deer in Colorado in September, and a special late season in San Diego County, California the second half of December. (These are both mule deer hunts.)

What do you like better than the Mortimer in a flinter?

thanks...jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
The Lyman Great Plains rifle will cost you less and work as well or better. You can choose from a variety of twists and caliber to match up to the bullet you want to use.

You can get one in many places, such as Track of the Wolf, but other places may be cheaper.

In addition, you might look at the semicustom guns on TOW at
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partList.aspx?...subID=81&styleID=280

Beware that locks on just about all guns are less than wonderful these days. That includes P'solies as well as just about any American or Italians. I like the Americans a bit more on average. The flinter that Thompson Center used to make (and presumably still does) is probably pretty reliable if not authentic per se (coil springs among other things).

I just bought a Pedersoli Gibbs percussion rifle but will have the lock internals replaced by Bob Roller. I don't think he does others, but he will make custom locks occasionally. They are wonderful locks indeed.

You might ask Sikes (I have not heard from him in a coon's age) and see what he might know of in the way of good English rifles that may been barrel work. Sorta a project there though.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mister:
quote:
Originally posted by Sixgun Symphony:
The traditional flintlock and percussion ML rifles are effective and humane on game. Crimson Mister would know this if he knew more about shooting. But instead of wanting to learn he would rather project his lack of skill onto everyone else.

Inlines? Again, if you want a modern rifle then go get a .308 Winchester. If the law says you can't use it in muzzleloading firearms season, then get a tag for the modern rifle season.

Try readin' the post before ya reply, Dimwit. What I said was, your little make believe Daniel Boone fantasies are not the MOST effective means of killing an animal. If it were, we'd still be using flinters and round balls now wouldn't we Nancy. You claim to be concerned about an animals suffering, but all you're concerned with is stroking your own ego along with other parts of your body. So you get all dressed up in your buckskin dress and go huntin'. Or at least you sit in front of your computer and play a hunting game because I'll tell ya, in 31 years of hunting I ain't never run across anything like you in the woods. For others who read this post. I have no problems with someone hunting with a flintlock, bow, spear, wrist rocket, willow switch or anything else. Just don't get all high and mighty about what I choose to hunt with.

Rich Big Grin

Again, You show a real lack of knowledge and skill with traditional firearms.

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SIXGUN

You show a real skill at generally pissing
of others with your holier than thou attitude

by the way

BITE ME troll

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:

You might ask Sikes (I have not heard from him in a coon's age) and see what he might know of in the way of good English rifles that may been barrel work. Sorta a project there though.

Brent

Brent,

Thanks for the recommendations. I sent it along to goatskin, so we will see. I haven't heard from him recently either...jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Inlines? Again, if you want a modern rifle then go get a .308 Winchester. If the law says you can't use it in muzzleloading firearms season, then get a tag for the modern rifle season.

OR, you could get a tag for muzzleloading season, and use an inline! or a FL or what ever. why flame people for using inlines and making cleaner, quicker kills. i'm getting confused...Sixgun, your logic seems to be a bit off. As said before, what exactly DOES a .308 have to do with muzzleloaders? I'm somewhat confused about that statement. Like i said, logic issue here.

Gun control is hitting your target.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While ur at it sixgun, bite me too, troll and i'll salute you for being the high and mighty flinter. salute

Gun control is hitting your target.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Inlines are infact muzzleloaders, of course. But they are not a primative weapon, at least not the modern ones. I shoot both, but the Lyman Great plains rifle I have is more of a nostalgic hunting tool. My TC Omega is basically a results oriented hunting tool. They are very different. The Lyman is for the experience, the TC is for when you have to succeed. I like them both, but the Lyman a little more. I wish I had the time to practice as much as I should. I wouldn't then need the TC. Most of us have to work way more than a 40 hour week. We don't have the time we wished we had to shoot and hunt as much as we would like. I think this is a fair assesment in our "modern world".

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1241 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
P.S. Sixgun, grow up.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1241 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Omega
posted Hide Post
Here's the deal as I see it. The ones who take the moral high ground and use only trad bows and ML claim it is more sporting, a bigger challenge and perhaps they are right. For instance I filmed 9 archery hunts last year with very skilled archers using the latest and greatest compound bows. The results: 2 dead animals and 7 wounded. The reality is as the challenge goes up the percentages of humane kills goes down, way down. So what are we really yelling about?

Posts: 72 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote