New
Find
Notify
Tools

.54 Bore Ball For Elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a .54 cal. "Hawkin Buffalo" rifle, cap/ball. Rifling is set up for ball, not for conical.

Long barrel, I can load the bejeezus out of it and push the ball really fast. Chrono'd at circa 2,000 fps.

Do I want to chase Roosevelt Elk with this gun? Deep woods, short ranges (70 yds or less) and we're good about shot placement and tracking game that's been wounded.

Using a 45/70 Govt. in the woods, 350 gr. flat point Speer. Shots at 70 yds or less. But no field data on shooting with a 54 cal ball.

???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I would do it. I used a similar load (1931 fps) in my .54 flinter for moose. Did not find a moose however. But I would not think twice about using our load for elk.

Good luck,
Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
load for accuracy and put the ball thru the lungs.. 2000fps will break a shoulder out to 50 yards maybe more im guessing.. velocity will drop to 1/2 at 100 yards with poor balistic coeficient. crosswind at 10 mph will blow round ball about 8 inches at 100 yards... if you shoot an elk at 75 yards in the lungs he is dead.. most game ive seen posted and listed is 65-70 yards with ball.. temperature and hold will change impact slightly with black powder.as much as 2 inches at 50 yards.. 75 yards will give good consitencey/ accuracy for big game.. .. 100 starts to get squirly..modern substitutes wont have the0se problems as much.. .. clean and oil barrel well so you dont ruin your gun.. dave

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .54 ball is unreal! Go for it! The last deer I shot looked like a .300 Weatherby hit it.
I shoot to 200 yd's with my Hawkin all the time on steel targets and it is very accurate. I once hit 4 chickens in a row offhand. Deer at 100 yd's blew blood everywhere. Have a good time and let us know how you do.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But no field data on shooting with a 54 cal ball.
You may need to consult older sources for details of shooting elk with roundball rifles. The Lewis & Clark expedition used 54s and ate lots of elk.