New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzz bullets for black bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm hoping to do a black bear hunt next Fall and am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on muzz bullets. Out of my TC Triumph I'm using BH209 with WW 209 primers, and for deer I use 250 gr. Hornady SSTs. Not sure whether those bullets are ideal for thicker-skinned animals, especially with the fat of a fall bear.

Shots are likely to be fairly close, 100 yds. and in. I've read good things about Barnes and Thor. Any thoughts on what I'm using currently, or on the two alternatives?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the time on most bears the 250's well work just fine.

But on a true big bear 400lbs plus I would want a 300gr bullet just to insure enough penetration.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, p dog shooter. Any thoughts on the SST bullet not just in terms of weight, but in overall performance/penetration on bears?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use .452s XTP's in my 50 cal. they shoot through deer.

Haven't shot anything else with them.

Never shot a SST there are some Youtube reviews out on the net.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Instead of the SST, look at the 250gr Monoflex. You may have to change your sabot as they are a .458” diameter bullet vs the typical .451/2”, but they expand really well and are solid copper so the also penetrate. That’s all I use and I have had excellent results with them.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into the XTPs and the Monoflexes.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For real muzzle loaders, I use either Maxi Balls, or Buffalo Bores.
You are shooting pistol bullets.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not hesitate using the 250 grain sst’s. Although I have not hunt a lot of black bear, from what I’ve seen, they are not hard to kill.

Opinions vary…..

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed black bear, moose, mule deer, whitetails, caribou and others with PISTOL BULLETS .452 Hornady xpt out of an Omega .50

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do NOT shoot a black bear with any hollow point PISTOL bullet. They will not penetrate a good bear's rib cage.

If you doubt my word, contact several Wisconsin bear hunters, the ones with dogs, and ask after a pistol hunt. In particular, bullet choice.

A mono bullet is good advice. I like Barnes X TMZ out of my Savage 10ml. Shooting deer head-on, I will get about 30 inches of penetration. I am surely not hitting any bones comparable to a bear's

Learn to shoot a bear through a shoulder to break the spine.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
We’ve had excellent results with Barnes Magnum MZ bullets on elk, getting full penetration on broadside shots. If they’ll quickly kill 900 lb elk, they’ll certainly be great for black bears.

Posts: 3854 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
I have a nice 12 bore round ball shooter or the smaller .69 would work also.

Big holes, better blood trails! [if needed]

Get Close and Wack'em Hard