ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Anyone hunt with single shot BP Pistols?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hunt with single shot BP Pistols?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering how many of you have the longer barreled pistols and are you getting hunting performance out of them?
Now Im not talking about the dueling type but the T/C Scout,Kahneky, Traditions 12" Buckhunter and are there others? that will hold 70-80gr of BP and shoot heavy conicals for deer or elk.

Posts: 68 | Location: Snohomish, Wa | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Just guessing, but I think the lack of suitable firearms is one issue that restricts use of BP pistols.
The TC Scout pistol was ahead of its time and might sell better in todays world!

LouisB

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I would agree with that The other issue that is hindering its popularity is the regulations restricting the use BP pistols for big game hunting. Shooting my traditions 12" 50cal. I can exceed 1150ft lbs of energy @ the muzzle useing a 260,320 or a 400gr conical. I haven't chrono'ed these at 50,75 and 100 yds yet but Im very confident the remaining energy would be sufficient for deer and elk at handgun ranges.

Posts: 68 | Location: Snohomish, Wa | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I became enchanted with the T/C Scout pistol too late and have been looking for a clean one in .54 ever since the fire. The handgun barrel for the Encore is just too long and too heavy, plus it's not a .54. A Lyman Plains Pistol in .54 caliber should strike about as hard as 45 ACP ball so it ought to do for the average whitetail but I'd hold out for a shot that was better measured in feet rather than yards.