Find
Notify
Tools

Spring Break Muzzleloader Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Staley Keck
posted
Had a few days to head out west to try my new muzzleloader on some wild hogs. I was lucky enough to connect on a big spotted pig about 130 yards out with a 250 grain barnes sabot.

The ending result was a hog DRT. The only downside was the way I was twisted for the shot the scope bit me a little, whats no pain without any gain!

Posts: 79 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 06 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Staley Keck
posted Hide Post
I recovered the bullet after processing the hog, 82% weight retention through a shattered shoulder bone without a pass through, looks like the barnes did what it needed to do.

Posts: 79 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 06 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Hog!!
I smell BACON!!! LOL
What kind of load did you use? That looks like pretty good performance by the Barnes.

Im in Wichita Falls, where are you from Staley?

Regards,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Staley Keck
posted Hide Post
Thanks I used 2 pellets of 777 from a TC Impact. I'm from Nocona, but hunt out in Knox County.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to high school in Bowie, and have known Elton Teague for more years than I care to recall. He worked the stock on my 416 Taylor, the man is a true artist.
Regards,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Staley Keck:
Had a few days to head out west to try my new muzzleloader on some wild hogs. I was lucky enough to connect on a big spotted pig about 130 yards out with a 250 grain barnes sabot.

The ending result was a hog DRT. The only downside was the way I was twisted for the shot the scope bit me a little, whats no pain without any gain!

Ha! Ha! That is God's punishment for putting a scope on a muzzle loader!

Big hog!

..................................................................... Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a nice hog!! I had the "scope bite" problem too.

Here's how I fixed it. I put a comb riser kit on my Omega and it solved my problem. Here's the link:

http://www.beartooth-products....mb-raising-kits.html

Hope this helps.

Paul

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 November 2005Reply With Quote