ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Sabot questions for PR 50 cal (40/260gr)

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabot questions for PR 50 cal (40/260gr)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
At the range today I tried some Precision Rifle 40/260 Dead Center bullets through my two Savage ML's. Used 46 grains of 5744 and accuracy was horrible! I couldn't get two shots to hit within 6 inches of each other. These two rifles are otherwise proven performers so I know there is an issue with the bullet/sabot/load.

Does anybody know if the blue colored sabots that come with the PR's are the same as the blue HPH sabots that MMP sells?

UPDATE: Checked with MMP and the sabot that PR uses is indeed made by them. Have learned that this set up is not suited for the Savage ML's (as I found out at the range).

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
If memory serves correctly MMP does make sabots for
PR, but it seems they are made specifically for a
boat tail. MMP will let ya know for sure if you call
and ask them.

5744 has too fast a pressure spike to use for the
pure lead bullets. You need something like H4198
at loads which will not exceed 2200fps.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote