New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 or 50 cal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking about purchasing a muzzleloader. Which one could I expect the best accuracy from, 45 or 50 cal?

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you much about accuracy of the 45 but the 50 should be excellent. I have a T/C Encore 209x50 shooting 250 grain Barnes. 1-1 1/4 " groups all day at 100 yards. the other consideration is that there are several states that will not allow hunting with the 45. If your state does great but if you plan to hunt out of state the 45 may not be a legal caliber. Just something to consider.

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you much about accuracy of the 45 but the 50 should be excellent. I have a T/C Encore 209x50 shooting 250 grain Barnes. 1-1 1/4 " groups all day at 100 yards. the other consideration is that there are several states that will not allow hunting with the 45. If your state does great but if you plan to hunt out of state the 45 may not be a legal caliber. Just something to consider. < !--color-->

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
both will be extremly accurate with there repective load but the 50 cal has a huge advantage because it has a better selection of bullets to choose from. i prefer the 50 cal my self i have shot all of the tc inlines i owen the 209x50 and sold the omega but have developed load for all of the tc guns at one point or another helping people out i also shoot kight and wight muzzel loaders.

id say stick with the 50 you wont be disapointed.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also shoot a 209x50mag Encore with 3-50gr pyrodex pellets and 245gr Aero tip power belt. Have excellent accuracy, and will make a 3 inch mess of neck bone in a cow elk at 150yds