New
Find
Notify
Tools

TC 209-50 breechplugs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How much difference in accuracy does the various style breech plugs have on accuracy . I have 3 styles One has a .250 deep pocket . One has about a .125 deep indentation and one is less than .062 deep. Every time the hex part of plug starts rounding off I buy another they are always different. Any body ever run any tests to see if the different styles make any differience. Information is appreciated.Its probably just my Immagination but it seems my encore likes a different load every time I change .
Wayles

Posts: 57 | Location: western nebraska | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
The different styles were introduced in an effort to contain Triple 7 fouling-- there is no basis to call one automatically more accurate than the other.

It is not your imagination that a new breechplug changes things, though. Hot charges erode breechplug flash holes, opening them up-- all of them. They open up in as few as 100 shots or so-- regardless of brand.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they have more impact on breechplug seizures than accuracy. I find the flat-face plug allows easier plug removal than the deep concave.

In a way it makes sense - since the concave plug allows more flash/heat into the cavity that's surrounded by plug threads.

The plug touch hole enlargement also plays into nipples with 777 powder. I find most relief/extended use comes with HotShot nipples versus other hotter nipples like RedHot or Spitfire.

Just my opinion....

........ Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas" ............

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote