Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pellets or Loose Powder???
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to muzzleloading and I have been struggling to decide whether to use pellets or loose powder. What are your thoughts? I assume loose powder is much cheaper and I know it burns more efficiently. Although I have not actually shot my rifle yet, I have bought my supplies (including a cannister of Hodgdon Pyrodex Select). I will likely try this out and then try something else if I do not get good results. So what is the verdict, pellets or loose powder?

Hawkeye

Hawkeye0585

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer pellets, but for the simple reasons that I don't have to measure every load and if I don't get the shot, I just pull the breach plug and they drop into my hand to be loaded again.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am of the opinion that the firearms were designed for loose powder, and that is what they should be fed. To me, pellets are nothing more than a gimmick, something to be able to make money on.

Additionally, some of the western states are specifying loose powder only on their MZ hunts now...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
Loose powder......more reasonable priced (you won't believe what you pay a pound for it in pellets) - totally weight adjustable.

woods

Savage ML'er....... a New Generation Traditionalist....... Thanks to Henry Ball

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Whatever shoots the best in YOUR Rifle. I found that loose 777 was more accurate than pellets in mine.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loose powder gives you more load tweaking options - plus costs less per volume.

........ Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas" ............

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
The only reason I am using pellets right now is because I am new to Muzzleloading...but I haven't really found a bullet that didn't like 100gr of T7.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote