New
Find
Notify
Tools

28" to 22" barrel velocity loss
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there too much loss in velocity with a 22" barrel to use on elk? I have a Ruger 77/50 and it shoots 300 gr powerbelts 2-3" @ 100. Colorado does not allow sabos but the powerbelt fits the rules as they consider it a gas check. Do I need a longer barreled rifle for elk and what would anyone recomend for bullets, non sabot. FYI the gun weighs a little over 6 lbs. and that is why I like it in the mountains.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Moorepower:
Is there too much loss in velocity with a 22" barrel to use on elk? QUOTE]

No!..... only an inch or two difference -- depends on the powder choice and volume.

........ Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas" ............

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Do you mean a 295 gr. Powerbelt?

What is the actual barrel length from muzzle to breechplug?

What range are you intending to shoot at?

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For sure the 295 gr. powerbelt. I am a firm believer in heavy bullets with muzzle loader velocity. Ruger calls it a 22" barrel and although I havent measured it it seems short. I will measure to breach plug. I have converted it to 209 primer and it is rated at 120 gr. 777. After 777's reply I guess I should not worry about length ov muzzle, but what about the power belt?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never shot any PBs, but there has been a fair amount of conversation on here about them not holding up... I think I would try heavy conicals and see how they do in your rifle. It would be a real shame to lose an elk because a bullet came apart, and according to several posters on here, the Powerbelts have done exactly that.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have shot elk with a powerbelt and I would not go below 348 grains better to go with 405,
Chest shots only.
Redclub

Posts: 9 | Location: Fremont Wi. | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
A 405 gr. or heavier is the standard(ish) heavy conical load.

A .45-70 will kill an elk. cigar

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not opposed to using a heavy conical, actually I have a few, it will just take a little more shooting to find the bullet drop and max range with a 405g bullet. I would venture to say, more big game has been taken big and slow 45-70- 50-120 than anything else. I just am not looking forward to shooting this 6 lb. 5 oz. gun with 405s and 120gr 777 off the bench to find the trajectory, most likely 125-150 yds or so I would guess. It is great to carry a light gun but less fun to shoot! I think I am going to get a good recoil pad. I was looking at Parchmayr decelerator pads and Brownells has prefit pads for the 77/50.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Moore

At least move up to the Platinum Powerbelts in 338 grain. Using around 100-110 gr of 777, you are good-to-go for your 125-150 range. Won't be that bad in recoil either.

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than weight, what is the differance between platinum and regular? Are they a harder lead?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just stumbled across Bullshop bullets and I like what I saw. I saw some photos and they have a 460 grainer that sounds like the deal. I am going to call and see if I can get a couple of different diameters to see what would work the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd worry about your bullet choice long before your barrel length. Hard to beat a 370 gr T/C Maxiball for penetration.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scroll about half-way down.

http://www.powerbeltbullets.com/docs/PBB2006.pdf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moorepower:
I just stumbled across Bullshop bullets and I like what I saw. I saw some photos and they have a 460 grainer that sounds like the deal. I am going to call and see if I can get a couple of different diameters to see what would work the best.

Mr. Moorepower,
Is this the "Bullshop" located in Alaska?
Best Wishes

Posts: 48 | Location: Sawmill Creek, Alaska | Registered: 22 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Delta Jct Alaska. I also looked at the maxi ball and maxi hunter, but I think the bullshop is more suited to o9ne on one getting me with the right type and diameter bullet. That is the one negative I have heard about the Ruger 77/50 is the barrel sizes are inconsistant. I think this is something I will have to pay attention with with the lead conicals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan (Bull Shop) has a ruptured disc and is scheduled for surgery in about 3 weeks. He is going to try to cast tomorrow even though he is in a great deal of pain. His wife is trying to discourage him from casting and can't say I blame her.

He makes some exceptionally nice cast bullets and his lubes work very well. Just be patient if you order within the next few (several?) weeks.

Picture is a bit fuzzy as it's really a compilation of several individual pictures.
http://home.mchsi.com/~rltsr/bullshop.jpg

Dan was looking into expanding his lineup a bit before his back acted up. I expect he will eventually add some nice .54 conicals in addition to the ones shown in the pic above.

WHUT?

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Moorepower,
Dan does excellent work and can provide a variety of bullet hardness as your situation may warrant, if you so desire. He has been involved with various bullet development projects that are being conducted by some shooters in the lower 48.
We have been very pleased with his work and have used his lube extensively.
If you do end up using heavy cast bullets, may we recommend you weigh each and every one. We use +/- .2 grain for sorting our bullets into groups, as a guideline for our hunting bullets.
Dan can do this for you if your wish but it will increase the cost per hundred.
(You may already be doing something of this sort and no insult is intended regarding your reloading practices. Just trying to share/help.)

Sorry to hear Dan's back problems have flared up again. He has a very loving wife and a great bunch of kids. We wish him a speedy recovery.
Best Wishes

Posts: 48 | Location: Sawmill Creek, Alaska | Registered: 22 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I am going to have him tell me what I need for elk! Guys like that know a heck of alot more about muzzle loading bullets than I will ever care to!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Moorepower,
Have every confidence Dan will do his level best to steer you straight as to what will work.
As I recall, he has quite a bit of personal experience hunting with BP cartridge weapons. Including Paper Patched Bullets.
Good luck with your hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moorepower, you have a PM...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote