Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 10ML rivals the 458 Win Mag?!?!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted
Sounds odd doesn't it??? Well take a look at this...

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/cowboy/lrrd.php#50-140

The data for the 50-140 smokeless should be easily adaptable to the Savage 10ML. Both .50 caliber, and you can use 350-500gr .458 bullets paired with MMP sabots. It stays well below 30,000psi. I've never tried these loads. I don't even own a Savage 10ML... Yet. Does anyone see anything VERY wrong with these assumptions? No, this is not a trick question sofa

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I had a .50-140-3.25" Sharps once upon a time, but I used it as a black-powder (well, Pyrodex) cartridge rifle to shoot lead bullets. It was a fun rifle to shoot, but I never used it for hunting.

I had a M70 .458 Win too, and mostly shot jacketed bullets in it, I never tried to work up a lead bullet load.

I would suggest asking Savage what they think about these loads transferred to their ML rifle. I have one coming, but no experience with it yet. Wink I don't know how good the seal is in practice.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been using 4198 powder in my savage for alittle over a year now, went to the slower burning powder for heavier bullets with reduced pressures. Have had good success with the imr powder which produces a little faster speeds than the Hodgsdon for the same charges. I wouldn't exceed 67gr. for 300 gr. bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like most muzzleloader manufacturers, Savage provides a list of recommended and approved loads. http://www.savagearms.com/images/pdf/manuals/MLII_loads.pdf

WHUT?

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
The Savage uses saboted projectiles with smokeless; no projectile heavier than 300 grains is allowed by Savage Arms with smokeless powder.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
It will safely meet and exceed the 458WM when using powders such as H4198.

There's a pile of interesting data over on the Savage Muzzleloading Message Board at Doug's site.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
Shhhhhh.... Wink Wink Wink

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote