ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Having a devil of a time getting my X7 Omega to shoot.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having a devil of a time getting my X7 Omega to shoot.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I love the concept of this little rifle as I am a horse back hunter and it fits so nicely into a little lever gun scabbard.

I live and hunt in Colorado so I can't use Sabots.

My buddy has Z3 Omega that shoots Power belts into an inch at 100 yds.

I can't get this little X7 to shoot ANYTHING under about 5 inches at 50 yards.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I imagine you've shot muzzle loaders a bit, so you're doing everything properly, the most important to me is an even pressure on the ramrod.

Also, you've done the usual check-over for secure mounts, etc.

Have you tried any solid lead bullets like Lee's REAL, or their improved minie?

What sort of load are you using, and have you recovered any bullets to inspect them for rifling marks, evidence of tumbling, etc?

Hopefully it can get figured out, when groups are crazy big like that usually the problem will be big enough to easily figure out.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
aSeveral thinks to try,I have a finicky Omega with powerbelts, I hunt in Co. so I understand your problem. First thing give the rifle barrel a super cleaning, Try using a fibre wad between your powder and bullet, twist the powerbelt skirt so it can come off every time. Use 348 grain powerbelts or heavier. I assume you are using open sights so get a large target so you can see what you are aiming at.18" target with a duct tape cross works well.
Good luck.
Redclub

Posts: 9 | Location: Fremont Wi. | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I will try some solid lead bullets. I have shot the GP bullets and they are equally unimpressive.

My bullets are not tumbling.

I've been using 777 with loads ranging from 80 gr to 150 gr.

posted Hide Post
I shoot the opposite end of the spectrum with smokeless!

IMO, for get what Colorado says is legat to hunt with, find what your gun will shoot . THEN, work backward to see if BP and conicals will work.

It seems as though you are picking what you want and not what the rifle is capable of shooting.

edge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Edge,

You are correct I am trying to make this thing shoot with what I can use in it for hunting in my state.

I will shoot some sabots out of the thing and see if it shoots ANYTHING at all. That is a good idea.

Greg

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
If 777 doesn’t work for try RS or Black Powder.

I shoot a 54cal Knight MK85, 50 Cal Thompson Center Encore & a 54 Cal Lyman Great Plaines they all shoot very well but each has its own quirks when it comes to powder charge and projectile. The one consistent I have found is to swab between shots and give the rifle a few minutes to cool.

I have heard that if you charge a power belt to hot you can blow the skirt and ruin your chance of group. If you load and shoot to fast the skirt will get soft and ruin your groups also. I know this happens with sabots.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Surestrike -

My X7 likes 100gr of T7 with a 348gr Powerbelt, also the 350gr Maxi-Hunters shoot equally well out of it. As good as inside 3 inch groups at 100 yards with the williams peep.

I know this does not apply to you since you mainly hunt in Colorado but for an easy load my X7 really likes 100gr of T7 with a 300gr Shockwave! Extremely accurate I've gotten sub 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with the williams peep.

I am still attempting to get my first muzzleloader kill but it wont be long I dont think.

Good luck!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
surestrike, I have two fast twist barrels that LOVE 410 gr Hornady great plains bullets. I load 100 gr of Pyrodex select FF. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Many Omega shooters have discovered the QLA is the fault with the Omega not being able to shoot conicals.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote