Notify
Tools

Re: Advice on Remington 50 Cal.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
George,

I just recently rigged one out for a fellow and they are pretty nice MLers but, there are a couple of things I don't like about them. The 209 conversion kit that I installed was not even close to being weather tight (there was a good size open air gap in front of the primer while it is seated in the nipple). That gap makes it easy for primer removal but, it is a terrible design when you are talkin' bad weather and also hard-to-ignite charges such as 777 pellets. Alot of the primer fire blows out through the gap instead of contacting the powder charge through the nipple. While using 777 pellets I had several misfires and hang fires but, when using loose powder or Pyrodex pellets it will shoot fine.

Using Hdy's 250 grn SST and supplied HPH sabots it would shoot pretty good groups at 100 yards (When it didn't misfire).

Overall, I think it is a pretty good MLer but, I would not use 777 pellets in it. 777 or Pyrodex loose powder works good and Pyrodex pellets too. The 250 SSTs (or Shockwaves) shot the best out of three combos I tried (240 XTPs and 200 Shockwaves were the other two).

If you want a rifle that is alittle more weather resistant, I would go w/ a Savage, Knight, or T/C.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I have had a M700SS ML in 54cal since they were first offered. I got the 209 conversion kit from Cabelas and it shoots fine once the barrel is "seasoned" properly. I have not noticed any blow-back problems and I shoot left handed! It has accounted for 2 elk in Colorado.

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote