New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: smoke poll roll call
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lets see I started shooting ML about 25 years ago. Atarted with a CVA Kit rifle in .45 my father bought me for Christmas. Rifle still shoots very well with a Hornady .440 ball, .015 patch, and 70 grains 3F Goex. This was also my first deer rifle and I hunted deer with it long before muzzleloading seasons.

Later I assembled the Matching CVA Kentucky Pistol also in .45. Next came a "Hawkin" or more correctly a plains styles rifle in .50. This was my first black powder rifle with a 1:48 twist. After 15 years I have yet to find a load for round ball (other than a 30 grain plinking load). Shoots Maxi Balls good though. Really do not shoot it much as I like the longer rifles better.

I later built a .50 plains rifle for my brother and another plains style for a friend. Both of these were upgrades from the simple kit guns in the past.

My current project is a Bucks County Styled Flintlock. a rifled .54 cal 38" Octagon to round Colerain barrel, Chambers/Siler lock, sand cast soft brass hardware, Grade 6 curly maple from Wayne Dunlop, Davis trigger, and other parts made by me. I plan on installing a wooden box lid and adding some carving.

My current pet fun gun is a SXS 24 GA Flintlock Double. It is and original. Dated to about 1790-1810. Lots of fun to shoot (I use moderate loads and soft lead shot naturally) and death on squirrel and rabbit. Even took it to the skeet range. Really helps me correct form problems in a hurry ... but I do manage to hut several clays with it each time. Makes my scores with my modern shotgun much better too.

I do have a Knight T-Bolt just for grins. I don't use it much as I have more fun with my "traditionally styled guns".

I prefer to build or assemble my own rather than buy. Now if I only had the time to work on them but with two kids under 4 yrs old my time is spoken for. Which is great because we have a lot of fun and the older proudly spout off with flintloskd rule and wants to go shoot muzzleloaders next time it gets warm. He He.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought my first muzzle loader last week so I am new to all of this.I have been hunting and shooting handguns for the last few years.I bought a CVA Magbolt in 50 cal. and put 4x glass on it.I like it so far but I am still working on getting a better group at 100 yards.

Posts: 175 | Location: mineral wells texas | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We talkin' just muzzle loaders or black powder in general?
ML's= .58 cal. Fraser River Hawken(1980), .50 cal Bedford flinter(Eric Martens), Uberti Penn.REPRO,siler lock),
14 bore Chance double(1800's) ,Hughes 14bore double(1890-1900).
Cartridge blacks = 45/110 Sharps repro(pedersoli),
577 Snider,22Khornet(rebarrel,tip down Stevens), 25/20Stevens 44,
12 boreBelgian double,(1870), 16 Lefeaucheauxdouble(?)
The Chance is my main bird gun, the french double my skeet gun. The cartridge guns are21/2", and shoot brass cartridges. I use them all!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, 700, do what I do. Don't read what it says.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
man its nice to see so many bp shooter keep it up.

thanks bfr i just ignore the sh%t disturbers now its not worth my time or effort to even reply to them.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
700 Nitro, I only have one muzzeloader. It's a TC Black Diamond XR .50, and it is a tack driver! I killed my first elk with it this year at 30 yds, right through the heart, 5x5.

Whale

Posts: 4 | Location: Washington | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Buchenshmeid,

Do you make ou own barrels and trigger assemblies?

Whale

Posts: 4 | Location: Washington | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine are as follow:

.50 cal. flintlock I built with a Siler lock and a Green Mountain barrel. It's a copy of a Tennessee Mountain Poorboy with steel furniture.

.32 cal. precussion similar to the one above.

Cheers,
MaBell

Posts: 79 | Location: Colorado (out in the sticks) | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T/C Renegade in .50 cal. A little beat up, but I am looking at having it refinished and another stock made. With roundball (and my inept loading/shooting) it is reliably accurate to 50 yd. With T/C Maxi-Balls and 90gr of loose Pyrodex, I can stay on a 8" bull out to 100yds. Was going to start ML hunting with it, but got sent to Germany where such things are not legal. Looking forward to ML hunting when I go back to the Mother Country.

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Lessee,

I've been hunting with muzzleloaders and black powder pistols for about 8 years now.

First was a Ruger Old Army that I sold to buy an Encore 209x50 pistol that I haven't aquired yet. I'm still not too sure I should have sold the Old Army...

Second one I never owned but borrowed to hunt with four years straight... A TC Hawken 50 cal kit gun. I really liked this one and it was VERY accurate, well balanced, and easy to carry.

Third was a CVA FireHawk which is a very handy and light gun that is reasonably accurate and a dream to carry.

Fourth is a new, unfired stainless TC Encore 209x50 with camo furniture that I will scope and that I have high hopes for.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my locks are fairly larg but they are both l&r queen anne locks they both look and operate great. they dont look out of place at all.

i payed 3200 each for both of my jagers and the 10 bore is fully done out with silver wire inlays

you wouldnt happen to know any one who would be intersted in a 10 bore jager? i want to sell mine since i am happy with my 8 bore email me if your interested or know some one who is i will get you as much info on the gun as i can .

sferguson17@cogeco.ca

posted Hide Post
I'm a new guy here on the Accuratereloading boards. I currently have two Hawken style rifles I assembled from Cabelas kits. One percussion and the other a flintlock. I took my first ever deer with the percussion rifle a few years back. I also shoot a 1851 Colt Navy for fun. The next one on my list is a Pennsylvania long rifle.

Doc

Posts: 3 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two .54 Lyman Great Plains, one percussion and one flinter; One .54 Thompson Hawken.

Posts: 54 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.50 cal flintlock - Thompson Hawken, double trigger.

100 yards, pie plate every time with balls, maxi's whatever.

Posts: 28 | Location: USA, Georgia for now | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just have a TC Greyhawk, but it has served me well. Equipped with apature sights, and shooting Lee minnies I cast, it has accounted for at least 10 big game animals over the 8 or 9 years I have had it. Love the stainless steel, with traditional side lock.

Posts: 53 | Location: Meadow Lake, Sask., Canada | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i didnt think this thread would last this long............keep it coming nice to see lots of fellow shooters on this board.

posted Hide Post
T/C SuperMag 209x45

It's my initial foray into the sport and, I'm please to say, after testing several loads I've found one that the Encore really seems to like - patterns sub 1.5' @ 100. It's a hoot to shoot!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me see:A 54 cal. Santa Fe Hawkin with an extra 50 cal. barrel,a Knight 50 cal Mk85, a TC Seneca in 45 cal.with an extra 36 cal. barrel,a custom Doug Scott southern mountain poor boy,full stock with a Bill Large barrel and convertable from flint to percussion,an original 36 cal.Ohio percussion and a Western Arms 36 cal. 1862 pocket police.Two deer have fallen to the hawken and two javalena to the 40 cal.flinter. I love em all.
Bravo

Posts: 109 | Location: New Mexico,USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I started out with a 54 cal TC Renegade.....took a fat doe as my first.
Didn't take care of the barrel and now it hangs on the wall.

I now have 2 TC Black Diamonds in 50 cal, one for my son and one for me.

I still shoot Goex black powder.....

Posts: 24 | Location: Texarkana, AR USA | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
It all started with a .50 cal. TC Hawken Kit.

Know I have three Underhammer recievers with 8 interchangable barrels. One stainless 7ga. underhammer.

Mostly round ball shooters.

.36 ............small critters

.50 1 in 30

.54 1 in 36............... Elk

.72 Tapered................Doe

.88 7ga....................Doe

.45 Traditions Scout [kids gun]

.50x.50 Kodiak Double

Blanks to finish

.50 1 in 30 Tapered

.50 1 in 20