New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lead Remover Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Remington M700ML Stainless and discovered after using some JB bore paste that I have what looks like lead fouling just beyond the breach plug. While I've tried a few mechanical approached to remove it, it has been nonetheless stubborn. Can any of you recommend a lead removal procedure?

I'm not the original owner of this M700ML and suspect this is from the use of some lead conical.

re5513

Posts: 72 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WipeOut works to soften the other alloy metals in the bullet material so it is easier to remove. It won't remove lead, but leaving in for an overnight treatment will really help. I get severe leading in a TC Black Diamond using the all lead PowerBelts, WipeOut is the best stuff I've used so far. Haven't tried the screen scrapers yet, though.
http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

quote:
SPECIAL NOTE FOR ALL SHOOTERS SHOOTING LEAD BULLETS.

We specifically state that Wipe-out does not dissolve lead. Most chemicals that dissolve lead produce a galvanic reaction. This reaction in effect acts like a battery. In most cases it will etch steel ( both stainless and carbon steel). It is for this reason that we don't use chemicals that specifically work on lead.

We use chemicals that will dissolve the other metals ( tin , antimony, zinc, etc.) that are incorporated in most bullet alloys. So we work to destroy the integrity of the bullet alloy, and it begins to come apart in small black flakes. This process takes about 24 to 36 hours.

So while Wipe-Outâ„¢ does not dissolve lead , it will degrade the alloy so that it can be pushed out with a tight patch.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it is lead and not plastic left from shooting sabot's. I bought a used Knight Wolverene that was coated with plastic it took me 2 hrs a couple of brass brushes and a lot of elbo grease. They make a solvent made to remove plastic it is used mostly for shotguns. Check Brownells web site. I am not sure but they may make a lewis lead remover for your needs.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Home/default.aspx

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, after re-reading your post, if the fouling is just beyond the breech plug, I doubt it's lead, the only fouling there would be from powder, as that would be where the powder column would be....sure it's not corrosion from not being cleaned? Lead or plastic fouling shouldn't start until just past where the charge would sit. If it is plastic fouling, I've read that Shooter's Choice Black Powder Cleaing Gel is good stuff. Good luck!

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
First off let me state that I'm not a muzzleloader shooter and I never tried this in a muzzleloader, but here's a technique used by pistol shooters that shoot alot of cast bullets.

Go the the grocery store and buy some brass or copper "chore boy". It's a scouring pad used for cleaning pots & pans. Cut some into flat pieces and wrap in around a brass cleaning brush and then run it through your bore. Like I said I don't know about a muzzleloader, but it works like a charm in handguns. It's the quickest way I've ever found to remove lead from a gun barrel.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2292 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote