New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working up a muzzleloader load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What methods do you use to systematically work up a load for a muzzleloader?

Do any of you use a spreadsheet, or something like that?

How many grains of powder do you start with, and how many shots load? How big of an adjustment for each load -- 5 grains or so?

How do you adjust for barrel heat and powder residue? Do you have a specific habit, like "2 wet swabs, then a dry one ..."?

At what yardage do you do this? I'm thinking to start at 50, then once an accurate load is settled-on, moving to 75 and 100 (open sights -- no need to be throwing them out there too far.)

Anyway, I know there are some shooters who have very specific, systematic ways of doing this ... and I'd like to hear from them.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 143 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't run anything too methodical but I keep a notebook whether running cartridge guns, blackpowder guns, or modern muzzleloaders (pellets, plastic, jackets, 209s). I only change one variable at a time; ball diameter, patch thickness, powder charge, powder granulation, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
Don't run anything too methodical but I keep a notebook whether running cartridge guns, blackpowder guns, or modern muzzleloaders (pellets, plastic, jackets, 209s). I only change one variable at a time; ball diameter, patch thickness, powder charge, powder granulation, etc.

More "methodical" than I am, but good advice Smiler. I start with a bore (land) size ball and .020 ticking patches. A combination which has always worked for me, after over 40 yrs of ml'ing. Then I just start @ 10 % over caliber in grains & work up from there. EG: 40 cal -44 grains. I also use 3F for most stuff; except over 50 cal & shot guns I use 2F. I shoot a lot of ML target & compete with them so I have 2 loads for each gun. One for target & one for hunting. Sometimes they are the same but usually not.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep notes on the targets and then shoot 5 shot groups, running a wet patch (windex) and then a dry one between shots. I clean after 5 and start with the next load.

I like pellets, so I bought a box of 50s and a box of 30s, I started with 90 grains of pellets (3x30). Then I went up 10 grains at a time until I got to 150. 100=2x50, 110=1x50+2x30, etc. I found that in both my rifles, 110 grains was the most accurate, so then I started playing with other components.

I have not tried pointed bullets yet. That is for this year. It is about time for Cabelas to have them on sale in the bargain cave.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote