Notify
Tools

Would anyone use one for Grizzly or DG?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted
Thoughts? Loads?

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
Hell YES!! But only with the October Country 8 bore double rifle... One serious muzzleloader that I would feel more than comfortable hunting DG with. 835gr Roundball on top of 200gr of powder!! Eeker Eeker thumb thumb

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A .62 or larger rifle using a prodigious charge of black powder ought to suffice. There have been plains rifles made for such work but I can't abide a hooked buttplate. The Zephyr might be interesting http://www.pacificrifle.com/african.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My White 97 Ultra Mag, with a 460-grain Power Punch bullet, and the highest charge of either Pyrodex or Triple 7 that gave good accuracy at ~75 yards. Not a problem...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A man from this area has a game room full of his trophies taken via muzzle loader from all over the world.A couple of years ago he was booked for elephant.

one of us
posted Hide Post
man cannon the october country 8 bore takes 300 grains of ffg i should know i had one.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Jim Shocky has taken many with his Knight, er ah, well before he switched to the dark side AKA T/C.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1189 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
THE CHARGE OF THE GRIZZLY AND FOUR ACES

The challenge of hunting the dangerous grizzly bear armed with a .54 caliber flintlock rifle and a .58 caliber flintlock pistol.

*click here*

beer

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
If you'd shoot one w/ a 458 Win Mag, you could just use a Savage Wink

I can imagine a .458 solid or X would be quite effective in a MMP HP sabot ontop of a stout charge of 4198.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
I shoot an inline just to get another week in the woods. So NO I would not feel that using a muzzleloader was anything special.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote