New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time muzzleloader questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just received a muzzleloader permit for Kansas. Now I am looking for a muzzleloader. Can you guys tell me what you recommend., muzzleloader, loads and bullets. Who is the best retailer to buy from ? So far I think I want a Stainless Encore.
Thanks Robert Johnson

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hunt4ever
posted Hide Post
Robert you are thinking right just keep thinking that way !!!!!!!I dont know the laws for Kansas but here in West Virginia and on Ohio Whitetail we use 250 gr Barnes MZ, and 3 50 gr pellets in 4 different encores. This load works extra well out to 200 yards !!!

Posts: 129 | Location: Carroll, Ohio | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert pop over to this site and talk with this group,

www.modernmuzzleloader.com

They have a very heavy inline group, and more than likely will point you yoward either the Savage or White.

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have went the inline route and now I am back to a TC renegade. I put a Stainless 50 Cal Green mountain with a 1-28 twist on it. This gun is easy to clean and I can shoot several shots before the accuracy slips
I also put on a lyman 57 sml peep sight and a 17 aml globe sight with Lee shaver inserts. This is the gun.

I have this gun sighted in for 100,150, 200, 250, 300 yards.
All I have to do is use a range finder and set the sight to the yardage. This is my best 100 yard three shot group.

For hunting I don't think I would take a shot past 200 yards although I am sure I could hit the target. Energy out that far starts to be the issue. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You had better check the law in Kansas to see what guns are considered muzzle loaders. Some states don't allow inlines.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In-lines are OK in Kansas as long as they are not wearing any type of scope. I think any inline muzzleloader by TC, Knight, White, Austin & Halleck, would be alright but would stay clear of the cheaper ones.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1189 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Kansas allows smokeless powder which makes the Savage a possibility for you also. Since you are limited by the no scope law you cannot take advantage of the potential extra distance the Savage will let you shoot but the lack of fouling with the smokeless would be a big help especially if you need a second shot. The Encore is great but you are paying a lot for the ability to add additional rifle barrels if that is what you want. If you only want to use it as a muzzleloader I would consider other options like the Omega or even an NEF break action. I would personally stay away from the Spanish guns for a couple of reasons, service and parts being one big reason. Thompson Center is great on service and will stand behind one of their rifles even if you buy it used. Try to handle some and see what fits you. As far as dealers you will have to see what is available. Usually the end of the year is the time to buy as they have great sales then. Now is not the time and if you just got drawn and have not done any shooting or even have a rifle you need to get busy as some time with the rifle is necessary to get a working load determined.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys thanks for the help, I have a older 54 CVA I am thinking of using, If I don't buy a new inline . Can you recommend any of the new compressed powders or sabot bullets? ( Cabelas is my only option)

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert, It is my understanding that the powder in pellet form is not to be used in the traditional rifles. I have used 777 in my Renegade, and I did not like it. It burns HOT, and 70 grains of 777 is equal to 100 gr of Pyrodex RS. I have confirmed this with my Ohler 35. The reason I didn't like it was because it made a "crud ring" right where the bullet sits. Accuracy was not good so I tried a fiber wad between the bullet and the powder. The bullets started to key hole,
and the nipple stuck so bad I had to use breach plug grease to lube it so I could get it out. I have a cleanout screw in the snail of my rifle, it also got BIG time stuck. I kept fighting it trying to get good groups and finally went back to pyrodex RS. I am happy with the results in my rifle. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert johnson:
Guys thanks for the help, I have a older 54 CVA I am thinking of using, If I don't buy a new inline . Can you recommend any of the new compressed powders or sabot bullets? ( Cabelas is my only option)

I have a Lyman Great Plains 54 that loves 100grs Pyrodex with a round ball (it has a slow twist)

My Knight Inline 54cal loves 80grs Pyrodex RS with a 44cal 240gr XTP

My TC Encore 50cal loves 100grs Pyrodex with a 44cal 240gr XTP.

You may have trouble with the CVA and Sabots depending on how good the rifling is. It may work best with lead conical’s like the Lyman Great Plains or Buffalo bullets.

Kansas allows inline muzzle-loaders during muzzle loader season you can only use open sites no scopes allowed. You can do a check on the regulations at the
http://kdwp.state.ks.us/

Good luck hope you get a Monster buck

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own two Whites (scoped): a 97 Ultra Mag in laminate, and a synthetic Super 91, both 50s. Either rifle will shoot 300-grain Hornady SST/MLs to just a bit under 1-1/2" at 100 yards, using 100 grains equivalent of Hodgdon 777. For my money, they are the best thing since sliced bread. The action is simple, they are easy to break down for cleaning, are engineered for the #11 cap, and come with Bold triggers, set at roughly 3#. Check them out at
www.whitemuzzleloading.com

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
A patched .490 ball will work fine on deer.

If you don't have a rifle, then check out the .50 caliber Hawkens percussion rifle from Thompson Center Arms.

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure like the picture of the very attractive female. I hope she is either your wife or your daughter. If so you are a lucky man.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Robert johnson, stick with the Encore, I would never go back to any other M/L. In my opinion the Encore is the best M/L out there.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLKeith:
Sure like the picture of the very attractive female. I hope she is either your wife or your daughter. If so you are a lucky man.

Not my wife or daughter. Her name is Rosa Kato, I think she is on a Japanese TV drama or something.

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gota start watching more Japanese TV!!!