New
Find
Notify
Tools

.50 Cal Winchester Apex Loads
 Login/Join

posted
Gentlemen-
I am new to muzzleloader hunting and I recently purchased a .50 Caliber Winchester Apex. I have read all of the prior posts but I talked to several people who own an Apex and are very happy with them. I want to start working up a load for deer and would like some help. If you own an Apex, please post the powder (type and amount) and the bullet that you use. I would also like to hear what types of groups your are getting. I understand that every rifle is different, and I need to try different loads in my gun. However, I would like to narrow it down prior to going to the range, if possible. Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.

Hawkeye

Hawkeye0585

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
I can't find a .50 Apex ! Basspro.com clk on reviews for Winchester Apex lots of load info .

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Copied from elsewhere: "Then I shot my new Apex. I sited it in at 50yds and moved my target back to 100. I had a 1" bull on my target and put the next 3 shots in the bull. about a .50 group. First time this gun was shot was today. 2 T7 pellets and 250gr shockwave but I used harvester crushed rib sabot with them. For a 229 dollar gun looks like it will shoot with any of them."

Post made by a fellow at Huntingnet.com

WHUT?

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Does anybody else out there shoot a .50 Cal Winchester Apex?

Hawkeye

Hawkeye0585

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I sighted one in last year. I shot well with two Pryodex 50 grain pellets under 250grn HDY SST sabots.

That load has been accurate in just about every MLer I've tried it in and it is great on whitetails.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes I have the blued one whtn the synthetic stock

Loads I have tryed I like to use tripal 7 and FFFG

#1 95gs of FFFG and a 295gr HP Lead Power Belt 5 shot group at 50 yards 1.85" bench open sights 3.5" high and .75" low at 100 yards at 100 yards 2.75" groups 1620fps

#2 85gr of FFFG and a 295gr HP Lead Power Belt 5 shot group at 50 yards 1.44" bench open sights 3.5" high and 1.22 low at 100 yards at 100 yards 3.42" groups 1550fps same speed as 2 777 pellets but lot nicer groups

load #1 has taken 3 deer and just about stops them dead in there tracks, I had to track one 15 yards she was under a brush pile

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 90 grains Pyrodex or 80 gr. 777 with 300 gr. 45/50 XTP in a Harvester sabot.

........ Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas" ............

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote