ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Has any one else used .50 cal sabots in a .54 cal

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has any one else used .50 cal sabots in a .54 cal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have three marlin .54 caliber muzzle loaders that I want to start using at least one.I got a pack of .54 caliber sabots to use .50 caliber bullets in.I am going to udse the 325 gr speer bullets.I dont know who else makes bullets for it.If I ever get drawn for the muzzloading hunts for moose I will use this rifle and load.I was just wondering if anyone else used this on game?

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
I had asked the question earlier if any body had used the MMP purple 54cal sabots and 50cal bullets. I got one responce from a fellow that said he had tried and they just would not go down the bore of his Renagade.In a PM he asked for my address to send them to me to try in my Remington 700.
I got them but haven't been able to shoot them yet.

I did remove my breech plug, then loaded one to see if it went down the bore. Not what ai would call a thump fit but it slid in half way and a short starter, then the ram rod got it down as easy as the red MMP 54cal sabots with the 45cal HP XTP's.

Since they fit I will bulk order more from MMP and more than likely use Speer gold dots in the 300gr 50 cal range.
there are a few ammo companys that make bulk amouts of 50 cal bullets for reloaders that will work in those MMP sabots.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the .54/50 purple sabots, but I have had good luck with the .54/45 red sabots. These will permit you to use any of the .45 cal. bullets in my .54 bore, I had best results with the 300 grain variety.

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Tried those 54/50 sabots and bullets yesterday.
I am very pleased with the results.

Remington 700 54cal. ML, 100gr. T7, Remington sts 209 primer. @ 50yds.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote