Tools

Anyone shot this BP pistol before?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-...=cat20817&id=0012637

Looks like fun. Game usage?

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Walkers are fun. The problem you will have is at full power loads, 40-50 grains, the loading lever will drop and bind up the cylinder.
If you realy want C&B Revolver to hunt with get a Ruger Old Army. My father has carried one for 15 years or more and has killed several deer with it. It packs about the same punch as .40S&W. Keep the shots close and it does the job fine.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm, interesting. What do you think about the remington "shooter" pistol? I would like something c&b that maybe used for large game if needed.....

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Can't get enough powder in them. The max load is something like 20-25 grains.
The ROA will take 45gains of FFFG sans wad, just put crisco on top of the ball.

BTW I carried a Remmy for a couple of years as back up for my .50 Hawken. One day I acctually used it instead of the rifle on a previoulsy wounded doe. From broadside at about 15 feet, I found all three balls in the hide on the far side. The remmys are qute, but they don't pack nearly enough ass for my tastes.

The ROA with its 45 grain charge goes right through at 50 yards.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colt Walker was the most powerful handgun on the planet until someone came up with the .357 magnum.

According to the standard "load rules" the 44 cal. Walker should be running ball w/ about 66 gr. fff, or Pyrodex P (pistol). Rule of thumb is 1.5 X bore diameter in "caliber" -- 1.5 X .44 cal = 66.

Much beyond that load, and you're going to be blowing unburned powder out the muzzle.

Of course I could be wrong . . . Loading a 1" bore cannon, 10" free bore w/ 500 gr. F "cannon powder" BP, and I don't see unburned powder.

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
I had a Colt Walker signature series until it and most of my other guns were stolen last spring.

The loading lever falls down, but one of those short, fat rubber bands works well.

It was surprisingly accurate at 50 and even 100 yards. There's a mold for conical bullets specifically for the Walker that would be worth a try.

Sure miss mine... someday I'll get another.

mark

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jack, First off, I'm not a BP user, so these other folks can provide experienced info, where I'm only going by what my buddies relate to me.

That said, two of them have managed to Blow-Up BP revolvers by not sealing the front of the Chambers well, with Grease. As luck would have it, neither of them lost any flesh, but said it was an experience they do not want to repeat. One revolver was totally trashed and the other one just needed a new Cylinder.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
I have a walker and Love it. 2 things though: 1. As stated earlier, the loading leaver will drop with heaver loads. My remade was to tie a bit of leather strap around the leaver and the bdl. 2. As the Walker was designed as a horse pistol, the sights are poor by hunting standards. That doesn’t mean that I haven’t taken it out. However in Hawaii it is all but impossible to hunt with a B/P pistol… Very poorly written laws. homer

To a point you can never have too much horsepower!
Hauptjager

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote