New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knight's New KP1 is here
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Looks like a very nice rig and should give the Encore some serious competition. If I were buying another BP only ML, meaning not smokeless compatible, this is the one I'd buy...or their KRB.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, I added a page 2.

I think I should have stopped with the Bull Shop big gas checked bullets. Big Grin Those other conicals need sizing to .503 and I believe they will perform well (and I need to fix my bullet lube).

WHUT?

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice report! I wish you would try some T7magnum pellets and 250gr SSTs or Red Hots in this rig. Around here the vast majority of ML shooters are using pellets and sabots, and I bet that would be true in most areas.
When we got the Encore last year, we tried loose T7 as well as pellets and in our rifle, the pellets were the way to go. 2 of those new T7mag pellets and a 250gr SST make nice 1.25" groups at 100yds with boring regularity...and they kill deer pretty well too!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry John, but I won't buy pellets. I've been muzzleloading for a very long time and won't pay triple or quadruple price for pellets just for the slight convenience over loose powder.

I will very likely try some Triple7 and maybe some BlackMag 3. The new powder that Western Powder is supposedly going to sell also sounds very interesting.

WHUT?

posted Hide Post
Can't blame you for that, we use some loose powder too but in the Encore I cannot get loose T7 to shoot as well as 2 of those T7mag pellets! So, we hunt with pellets and target practice with the loose stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underclocked:
Sorry John, but I won't buy pellets. I've been muzzleloading for a very long time and won't pay triple or quadruple price for pellets just for the slight convenience over loose powder.

I will very likely try some Triple7 and maybe some BlackMag 3. The new powder that Western Powder is supposedly going to sell also sounds very interesting.

thumb

let us know how the different powders compare. Triple7 is as modern as I've tried. Smiler

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richard, a fairly in depth article. Thank you for taking the time to do that... You have answered quite a few questions, as I see it.

So, all in all, not a bad rifle. The only thing that bothers me is takedown and cleaning. Just not a simple rifle to disassemble and clean, is it?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Richard, a fairly in depth article. Thank you for taking the time to do that... You have answered quite a few questions, as I see it.

So, all in all, not a bad rifle. The only thing that bothers me is takedown and cleaning. Just not a simple rifle to disassemble and clean, is it?

Actually it is very easy to clean. Just break the action, pull the breech plug and clean it out. The trigger mechanism snaps out in about 2 seconds, and if you want, the forend and barrel will come off in much less than a minute. What difficulty ?????

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That might be the case using the FPJ system but it sure wasn't the case with the regular 209 plug after 28 shots with black powder. Residue was EVERYWHERE. In fairness, I've seen Encores every bit as filthy after similar shooting sessions.

But disassembly is very easy. And the only problem I'm having with reassembly is aligning the hinge pin properly - that part is a bit tricky. A slightly undersized short dowel helps a lot. Young eyes would probably help more. Frowner

So, no, not a bad rifle at all. I do wish they had left some adjustment means to the owner but the trigger is very livable as is. I'm sure someone with more courage will disassemble that trigger/hammer assembly and map it out for us... but we'll just wait for that brave soul to come along. Smiler

Had a couple of better days for shooting since that range session, but I'm waiting for a sizer to arrive so some of these bullets can be made to fit better. I was going to hone out a .501 sizer to .503 but WOW!!. I did that once, opening one up to .504, but had somehow forgotten how time consuming that is with the meager equipment I have. After about 45 minutes of honing I had the .501 all the way out to .5012. Wink

ps: I meant to add that 30-06 Man (moderator over at Graybeard forums) had opportunity to fire a spankin' new KP1 in .270 Win. He was getting 3/4" groups with Federal ammo. I'll probably be buying a .270 barrel for mine (eventually).

WHUT?