New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sorry to see this is even happening in Texas Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Cops quit woke Austin in droves, plunging Texas city into crisis: ‘If you’re conservative, it’s a hostile place’

By MaryAnn Martinez
March 3, 2023 2:23pm Updated
More On: texas

Texas’ woke capital, Austin, is in the midst of a policing crisis with over 300 vacancies and cops quitting because they feel disrespected, multiple sources tell The Post.

“We’re right there with Portland and Seattle and San Francisco as being one of those places where if you’re at all conservative or in law enforcement, it’s become a hostile place,” Lt. Brian Moon, who retired last month, told The Post of the city he protected for 23 years.

Another 77 officers are expected to retire before the end of March — on top of 264 existing vacancies, according to the Austin Police Association.

Austin Police Department’s staffing is so bad, 911 calls are being redirected to the 311 non-emergency number because there aren’t enough cops to solve crimes.

“If you come home and find your home burglarized, calls like that are now going to 311,” said police union president Thomas Villarreal. “You’re not getting a police response to many property crimes if it’s not a violent crime that is currently ongoing.”

The beleaguered department has also pulled detectives from solving cases to act as patrol officers, Berry said.

Moody, a former watch commander, started working for the Austin Police Department in 1999 and says things have dramatically changed. In 2021, the city recorded a record 88 homicides and although that number decreased in 2022, the first six months of the year saw dramatic increases in the number of rapes, with 179, and almost 2,000 aggravated assaults, according to local news site KAXN.

“You could see that the city’s attitude towards its police department had started to shift and, personally speaking, I didn’t feel that the city was really appreciating us the way they used to,” Moon told The Post Thursday.

Sources told The Post cops are quitting because they feel disrespected.

An additional 77 officers are expected to retire before the end of March, according to the Austin Police Association.

“Austin had always been a pretty liberal-leaning city, but it was pro-law enforcement at the same time. They expected us to do things the right way, obviously, but they weren’t hyper-critical like they became.”

In 2020, the city council voted to defund cops by $150 million, slashing their budget by a third in the months after protests over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis at the hands of the police, which sparked protests and clashes with the cops in Austin.

Elected officials also nixed three cadet classes and cut 150 officers from the budget.
Retired Austin Police Lt. Brian Moon

Last year, the local district attorney announced the indictment of 19 police officers accused of using excessive force against protesters in the 2020 protests.

“It almost felt like there was a target — like the District Attorney’s Office and the city was looking for an opportunity to do something to you, to prosecute you or fire you, no matter if you did it right or did it wrong,” Moon stated.

In 2021, Austin chose to refund the cops, after it was told it would face losing its ability to raise taxes or annex land under a state law that was enacted to deter cities from taking money away from law enforcement.

see also
Indicted Austin cop Justin Berry makes GOP runoff for Texas House seat

Austin should have about 2,000 police officers for a city its size, but instead is only authorized to have 1,825 — although its current staffing levels are far below that, the police union claimed.

“Who wants to work for someone that belittles you and demonizes you,” Justin Berry, a current officer who was among those indicted in 2022, told The Post.

Potentially piling on the progressive policies, city voters will get to decide if they want to create a police accountability office later this year.

Mayor Kirk Watson has admitted the city has “unacceptably long waits” for police in a previous statement to The Post. Watson did not respond to a request for comment on upcoming cop retirements.

The Austin PD told The Post it didn’t want to speculate on the number of officers who are about to retire, but said in a statement: “Our officers work hard every day to provide a safer environment with the resources we have at hand.

“We will continue strategizing about providing safety to the community and with other tasks ranging from patrol to investigations.”
A picture of an austin police cruiser.
Austin Mayor Kirk Watson has admitted the city has “unacceptably long waits” for police in a previous statement to The Post.
KXAN

At times, entire areas of the city are left unpatrolled while the few officers who are working respond to a large incident.

“A homicide comes out or a shooting comes out, that’s going to tie up every officer available,” Berry explained.

A recent night of chaos caused by street racers set an example for what residents can expect, according to Moon. The drivers shut down intersections, driving dangerously and even setting people on fire.

Vandals attacked a police cruiser, breaking windows and injuring one officer. The first officer to respond waited over 22 minutes for backup because no one were available.

“We’ve pretty much conceded that we’re not going to show up anymore on certain calls,” Moody charged. “Eventually it’s going to get to the point where it’s so bad, everyone’s going to realize that something has to be done.”

https://nypost.com/2023/03/03/...B_NkHkLsCMAtU2A0g-ME

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everybody should stay away from Austin because all the cops are quitting. dancing

Ann, you are a fucking idiot. I'm sorry, but you are.

Have you ever been to Austin?

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15106 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Stupid response that didn’t address ANY of the issues raised. Nice ad hominem attack but what about the facts and figures? Even the mayor admits there’s a problem….

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know it's a bumper sticker response, but it rings true.
A society that makes war on it's police had better make friends with it's criminals.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very sad indeed.

On the other hand, the police should start getting their act together.

Today I see in the news cops killed a man at a traffic stop, because he did not comply with their orders??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66996 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Austin is a liberal utopia. It is the warm version of Ithaca, NY. I would rank it among the most liberal cities in the country.

It has always been friendly and as safe as any city however. But…while I have not seen it first hand…it is making the news here lately with some lawless events.

Austin likes the reputation of being weird. “Keep Austin Weird” is a popular bumper sticker there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36635 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Stupid response that didn’t address ANY of the issues raised. Nice ad hominem attack but what about the facts and figures? Even the mayor admits there’s a problem….

All the cops are quitting in Dallas too and they have been ever since I moved here 35 years ago. The pay is shit, the job is high stress and dangerous. This is a problem that is endemic in all cities of any size, not just Austin or other places in Texas. How'se that? Happy?

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the New York Post. animal

You would think Ann could find a report from Austin, or possibly Texas, but no, she had to go to New York, and then was ashamed just to post the link. It reads like a negotiating ploy by the union and the city council, nothing more. (Must have been a slow day for news in New York.)

(The Loons could add the word "teachers" and it would be just as relevant for the same reasons Mike mentions.)

My suggestion would be for Ann to never cross the Red River.....too dangerous, and besides we have enough MAGA true-believers here already.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no plans to go there. It's clearly inhabited with people like Mitchell and Kenny. No wonder it is a hell hole. Good luck.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I have no plans to go there. It's clearly inhabited with people like Mitchell and Kenny. No wonder it is a hell hole. Good luck.

I am heartbroken. dancing

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Mike knows full well-
KalifornicatedAustinistan-
has been working at defunding the police in relentless fashion.

The results are coming home to roost.

Even my liberal friends that reside there are in dismay as to the extent of the resultant damage this city has experienced.

Kinda: "Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good."

Right Mike Roll Eyes

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin is the San Francisco of Texas...... Nuff said!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
Mike knows full well-

Even my liberal friends that reside there are in dismay as to the extent of the resultant damage this city has experienced.

Right Mike Roll Eyes

Austin is fine. BTW, when was the last time you were there, if ever?

And forgive me if I'm not surprised that the folks you say you know in Austin agree with your political viewpoint.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Austin is the San Francisco of Texas...... Nuff said!

San Francisco is a great city. Great bars and restaurants. Lots of weirdos and the homeless are a problem.

You ever been there?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

I am heartbroken. dancing

Works for me! moon

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
Ann, wants everybody to think like her, be like her. If they’re not, then they are pukes.

Posts: 8613 | Location: Oregon  | Registered: 03 June 2018Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger:
Ann, wants everybody to think like her, be like her. If they’re not, then they are pukes.

You mean just like the left pc brigade?

The brainless wokes? clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66996 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
No, not like the left. We understand these knuckle staggers will never get a clue. Hooking up two dots is their limit.

Posts: 8613 | Location: Oregon  | Registered: 03 June 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, not like the left. We understand these knuckle staggers will never get a clue. Hooking up two dots is their limit.

Doug, do you still believe the 'rona was caused by Chinese people eating bats?

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Mike knows full well-

Right Mike Roll Eyes

And forgive me if I'm not surprised that the folks you say you know in Austin agree with your political viewpoint.

Sure Mike,
as a member of the legal brotherhood,along with Murdaugh,
professional prevaricators,
we should simply beleive you and not the people we know that actually live there and are living through the downfall of the city.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:

Actually,Doug,
we realize you’re much more maliciously dangerous than some merely ignorant”puke” (as you put it)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Wow. the liberal left sure makes personal attacks and shaming just because someone points out a different viewpoint....

are you sure winning hearts and minds is your approach, or is it more like "if you aren't with us, you are the enemy"

You do understand Austin exists in denial of this silliness...

yeah, i've been to austin, this calendar year, and san fran just before the 'rona... I can see the cool and the bad ... and with the cops they have, Austin is safe for young ladies on S. Lamar and S Congress ... keep it up like this, and it'll go back to the 90s

I am actually an actual property OWNER near campus, as my youngest is a freshman - What about YOU? just visiting and wenging?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38490 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you can stop trying to win the minds of the MAGA faithful when they have voted for Trump twice, and would again if he's the candidate. Their minds aren't worth winning. And you can't really appeal to their sense of shame, as they have none of that either. All that you can do is put their stupidity on full display.....over and over again.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Mike knows full well-

Right Mike Roll Eyes

Sure Mike,
as a member of the legal brotherhood,along with Murdaugh,
professional prevaricators,
we should simply beleive you and not the people we know that actually live there and are living through the downfall of the city.

Sorry, idiot... I don't know Murdaugh or anybody else that doesn't qualify for legal representation. Or, should idiots like you get to decide?

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Do you want a mulligan on that response?

Or,are you good with that Fettermanization of a deflection?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI