Notify
Tools

Damn, another invasive bug to worry about Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...3485604fbb3576&ei=19

CDC Rings Alarm As Cow-Killing Ticks Spread to 19 States
Story by Jess Thomson • 14h

I am out and about so much that I sometimes get a tick or two.

I certainly don't like it.

I'll have to learn ways to be more careful, and for my dogs too.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19784 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And another:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...bb3576&ei=48#image=4

A dangerous tropical parasite may now be endemic in America
Story by Zeleb.es • 2h

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19784 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:
And another:

Story by Zeleb.es • 2h

Not to worry, it's just in Texas, not in the U.S...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9580 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awh chit.

I've been trying to make a trip out to Texas since last spring for some hog hunting. It's basically shooting rather than "hunting" since they are so numerous and baited with corn feeders.

Anyway, we high-grade them and I butcher only to most desirable, no stink, about 120 to 150 lbs, etc.

My transportation has been in various mechanic shops for the last two years, since my last trip to Alaska. I counted up the # of mechanics - seven. None were totally satisfying for various reasons.

Anyway, the latest one says it's fixed - another $2500, rounded off.

We shall see.

At least it's now cool enough to avoid the ticks, mostly.

One state park in Mississippi where I have been camping to divide the trip into two days is apparently infested with ticks. I've picked up several just walking the dogs there.

XXX

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:
And another:

Story by Zeleb.es • 2h

I guess you'd be quiescent in the case of Texas deciding to leave the Union, nay, i would ask that you support it. Are there other States you consider to be outside of the Union? Please, by all means, name them

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
quote:
And another:

Story by Zeleb.es • 2h

I guess you'd be quiescent in the case of Texas deciding to leave the Union, nay, i would ask that you support it. Are there other States you consider to be outside of the Union? Please, by all means, name them

Shit, once we pull out military assets and Federal dollars out of Texas the next stiff breeze would blow it away.

Posts: 9580 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Awh chit.

I've been trying to make a trip out to Texas since last spring for some hog hunting. It's basically shooting rather than "hunting" since they are so numerous and baited with corn feeders.

Anyway, we high-grade them and I butcher only to most desirable, no stink, about 120 to 150 lbs, etc.

My transportation has been in various mechanic shops for the last two years, since my last trip to Alaska. I counted up the # of mechanics - seven. None were totally satisfying for various reasons.

Anyway, the latest one says it's fixed - another $2500, rounded off.

We shall see.

At least it's now cool enough to avoid the ticks, mostly.

One state park in Mississippi where I have been camping to divide the trip into two days is apparently infested with ticks. I've picked up several just walking the dogs there.

It's getting to where a body has to carry a cage full of guineas everywhere they go...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck, Jeffe, Texas left the union long ago, not technically, but state of mind. Smiler

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's getting to where a body has to carry a cage full of guineas everywhere they go...

lol

Guinea fowl do indeed eat ticks. Good bird, but they require acclimation to a hen house when biddies. Otherwise they run wild and roost in trees.

They are good substitutes for barking watchdogs too.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

lol

Guinea fowl do indeed eat ticks. Good bird, but they require acclimation to a hen house when biddies. Otherwise they run wild and roost in trees.

They self-convert to game birds...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heck, Jeffe, Texas left the union long ago, not technically, but state of mind. Smiler

Truest post you've ever made

quote:

Shit, once we pull out military assets and Federal dollars out of Texas the next stiff breeze would blow it away.

you keep believing that, jeffrey, all of it - you are winning, sarge, keep it up

quote:
Guineas
most useful bird on the planet -- eat ticks, run off snakes, lay eggs, guard the homesite, and aren't bad eating

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

lol

They self-convert to game birds...

They will always be marginally domesticated. It's only a matter of convivence to them.

Bantam chickens are easier. But Guinea fowl are a worthy challenge, if one plans to be home most of the time.

XXX

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Any domestic fowl will keep the ticks cleaned up in your dooryard and barnyard if they are allowed to run around. Most effective are momma hens with their chicks clean sweeping any arthropod as the forage.

So chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, guinea fowl, peafowl. Guinea fowl are really noisy so if you can take that noise they are fun but they will also attack your chickens.

One of the reasons ticks are so prominent is in many places there are no longer any significant populations of wild game birds, ground nesting types, that forage the woods and grasslands anymore.

I'd look out for MORE zoonotic diseases to come.

Look for more livestock diseases too. A perfectly placed pig infected with African swine flu will destroy the pork producers here. Trust me, pork people are worried.

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ann,
i love the Guinea sounds!

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
And another:

Story by Zeleb.es • 2h

A lot of the time I wish it was " just Texas " and not the US....then dumbasses like you would have much less impact on a real lifestyle and real values.....

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Ann,
i love the Guinea sounds!

I do too. As well as a peacock calling. I don't have guinea fowl anymore because they don't get along with the other fowl. They did not 'free range' much either. The chickens do better and also get along better but there is still a segment of tribalism with them as well. They follow my sheep and guardian dogs afield all day.

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A perfectly placed pig infected with African swine flu will destroy the pork producers here. Trust me, pork people are worried.

It is something to worry about. If it gets out in the domesticated pigs, it will certainly get out in the feral pigs.

Some feral pigs already have diseases that can be transmitted. I worry about that. But so far that hasn't stopped me. I use precautions when butchering, rubber gloves, face mask, and if it stinks, it's gone.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wild swine do have issues as far as diseases and parasites. Just be careful!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about that tick that much- it causes death by repeat bites and blood loss- so it is something that an aware farmer can treat the cow for.

Cutaneous Leishmaniasis is treatable and curable- but its just very rare and thus liable to being misdiagnosed, so it gets untreated for a long period of time and then can be damaging. Declaring it to be endemic to the US puts it on the map if you will to be considered as a disease in someone who states that they never traveled to a tropical area.

Not that concerning a change- its still very rare here.

Posts: 10663 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote