THE ACCURATE RELOADING POLITICAL CRATER

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  The Political Forum    Religion is the greatest scourge humans have ever inflicted on themselves
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: DRG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion is the greatest scourge humans have ever inflicted on themselves Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
- Countless examples in human history of mass murder, rape, pillaging, and other atrocities committed in the name of religion. Every major religion can claim its share of inhuman acts committed in its name. Religion turns people into monsters.

- Throughout history every religious-based government, i.e. theocracy is characterized by oppression and intolerance.

- In a dark way, religion twists people, distorts their ethics and morality. For instance, people infected with the religion virus (any of its variants) will judge and demean people who aren't so infected. The infected do good not for its own sake or the sake of humanity, but to avoid eternal punishment from the Magic Man in the sky.

- Religion takes an enormous toll on human emotion and relationships. Spouses, even whole families, will divorce each other over religious differences.

- Indulging religion costs society a lot of resources, energy, and productivity. Hoping to save their souls, people give enormous amounts of money to institutions that do little more than preach the same mythos the infected have all heard from childhood. Pass the collection plate.

Overall, religion hurts humanity more than helps us.

My comments apply to all religions, not just one or two.

Debate?

You've mentioned your son's religion in some detail in this forum so I feel no hesitancy to ask you; what is it about your son you find damnable? You are disappointed in your son why? You find your son lesser because?
You've told him so?
Your son is aware of your disapproval of him?

Sorry, I don't think your boy is the problem. His religion, church, faith generally Religion globally, isn't destructive.

Saeed is Muslim so he's less than how?
DRG is Jewish so hes less than how?

Mother Theresa was Catholic, I go to Mass on Sunday and my six year old is Baptized Catholic, what's our problem?

Would you say the Dali Llama and China are/ would be better off Buddhist/ faithful or Communist?

M.E. has been cross with his sister and her religion at length, publicly here. My bet would be that M.E's sister genuinely loves him, cares about him, works physically for his well being and wishes/ prays for his every sucess.

How is it Saeed as a Muslim isn't a bomber, DRG as a Hebrew isn't what ever they malign them with, and my Catholic six year old isn't a pedophile? We all suspect Doc Lane is a good father and husband, loyal son, and most likely an ethical vet and business man. Assuming Doc Lane is Southern Baptist, he'd actually improve at any of the above if he were an atheist how?

Religion is not the problem, it's what folks do with it. Religion wasn't evil, Jim Jones was. religion wasn't evil, Dave Koresh was. How exactly do we espouse the idea that, "guns dont kill people, people kill people!" and then assert that the religious book or writings laying there on the coffee table or pulpit are responsible for mankind's failing rather than mankind being responsible for itself.

Who here admires Tumbleweeds snide atheism? Come on now, show of hands! Who here read Tumbleweeds post about and said, " yeah man! I wanna sound just like that guy!" Lofty high browed prose from the Albertan.

Roland, id think you wanna see your kid and spouse after this life. If you are not prepared and happy to say adios forever in the next twenty years or so, you may wanna consider some religion.

Who says I think my son is damnable? To be damned, someone has to be sent to hell. I don't believe in hell, except for hells people make. As an agnostic, I can't find persuasive evidence for or against God's existence.

I hold my son in high regard. He's probably the best MAN I know, and the best personification of his religion. Like his mother, a cultural but non-practicing Buddhist, he's one of the nicest people I've ever met, a kind and gentle soul.

You caught me painting with too broad a brush, for I admit religion has been a positive force in HIS life (as opposed to most).

Sure, I'd like to see them in an afterlife...if there is one. But there's no evidence for an afterlife, and wistful thinking doesn't reality make.

Really, really happy for you. A fine son, and a son you can say is the best man you know is huge. I suspect for you, little else matters, it would be like that for me.

I doubt you can say with any authority that religion hasn't been positive for most, and for me, the afterlife and time with my daughter is my hoped for, it is my Heaven. If I have a conscious after death here and my girl isn't in it id consider it Hell. Why not hope for and have faith in the best?

Again, really happy for you.

Posts: 9092 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
I had a text conversation with a former coworker yesterday. I mentioned that I’m an atheist; something I generally keep to myself. She was shocked. I told her that I try lead a good life and be a good person. She wanted know why. Yes, why I would be a good person without a magic sky fairy to approve. Which is why I generally keep my beliefs to myself.

I've heard that a lot from the "saved." Why would you be good if not for fear of damnation?

It's like religion takes away their obligation, as a human being, to treat other human beings decently.

Do what they want now, then ask for forgiveness later. (Catholics. I was raised Catholic, btw, so don't try any of that Latin mumbo-jumbo around me. lol)

Do what they want, secure in the knowledge they are saved by their belief in Jesus. (Baptists.)

Posts: 6106 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:
quote:
If religion can be blamed for people's death, couldn't guns/ assault weapons be blamed for people's death?

This is a false equivalence.

Religion is a state of mind. Guns/assault weapons are tangible things, a tool.

Assault weapons such as the AR15 are not only a thing (tangible), but some people associate them with a state of mind (intangible). That's obvious in case you want to argue about that.

Religion has been the activator. Assault weapons are not the activator. They are merely tools to facilitate the fantasy, in the cases of mass shootings.

Well you know I don't want to argue with you so that takes care of that. Big Grin

If an assault weapon is a tool to facilitate a fantasy, it most certainly is an activator.

Id suggest that religion as written on a tablet or in a book, religion as spoken words or heard music is no more or less dangerous than an assault weapon. Yes the Bible and other religious texts have previously recommended correction and punishment for some behaviors. I'm familiar with some examples, no I don't feel inclined to stone anyone. That the text or even religious leaders may write and say so, ( speech,) still doesn't drive me to.

The hotrod can facilitate the fantasy of manly superiority in speed, technical skill, bravery. Religion can facilitate the fantasy of manly superiority, technical skill in reading and translating and bravery in the religious pursuit or execution.

The assault rifle the same as above.

We say over and over, that pistol laying there in the table never hurt anyone, neither has a Bible.

I was just trying to make the point that "religion", generic, is belief, a state of mind, which is intangible.

Religion has tangible things, such as books, symbols, such as a cross, the stuff Catholic priests wear, etc.

IMO, it's the intangible beliefs which is the activator, on the same plane as the fantasy of an active shooter.

With nails, lumber, rope, hammer (all tangible) one can choose to build a house or a gallows. It's the intangible state of mind that activates the choice. Some 1/6 rioters chose to build a gallows. I don't know if those were religious driven people or not, but there definitely was religious belief running amuck that day in that place.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19678 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've heard that a lot from the "saved." Why would you be good if not for fear of damnation?

I've come to believe that our worst sins bear a startling resemblance to poor judgement...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would fear be a motivator?

Children, for example, can be really messed up for life if fear is the tool used to get them to behave according to parent's expectations.

Same for when they join society as nearly or supposedly adults, or even while attending schools.

Take a dog or horse, for example. It won't ever be "good" if trained using fear.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19678 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:
quote:
If religion can be blamed for people's death, couldn't guns/ assault weapons be blamed for people's death?

This is a false equivalence.

Religion is a state of mind. Guns/assault weapons are tangible things, a tool.

Assault weapons such as the AR15 are not only a thing (tangible), but some people associate them with a state of mind (intangible). That's obvious in case you want to argue about that.

Religion has been the activator. Assault weapons are not the activator. They are merely tools to facilitate the fantasy, in the cases of mass shootings.

ME stated it very well. Religion is the reason and the gun, bomb, sword or spear etc. are just the tools to do the killing. If you look back in history from ancient times to modern day the number of people killing other people in the name of religion is staggering. Most of the current day terrorist are doing it because they are taught that killing infidels is the best thing you can do to get a higher place in heaven and the whatever number of virgins they get. The "leaders" are controlling and manipulating people with religion to get what they way. Anyone should be able to see how religion is being used for bad purposes.

The flip side is that religion can be used to make people do good stuff. Regardless of if it is being used for good or bad the point is it is still being used to control people. It always has been and always will be used to that way either for good or bad.

A base part of human nature is that humans need something to believe in. It really does not matter what but they have to have something. The believe can be religion, money, politics, family, love, hate trump, biden etc. Like I said it really does not matter what a person believes in it just matter that they believe. Believes can be in two different forms. Tangible and nontangible. Tangible are usually physical things like money, politics, people (trump, Biden etc) Things or people who that are easy to prove or disprove. Nontangible is stuff like religion, love, hate. Things that are nonphysical and very hard to prove. Nontangible are much harder to get people to believe in but once you do the believe is almost impossible to break. Religion is by far the most prevalent of the nontangible believe and certainly one of the strongest.

How strong is religious beliefs. Just think about the 911 terrorists, young men that believed so much in their religion that they were willing to give up everything including their life in the name of their religion.

The whole point of the conversation is that religion is used to control people. Some people choose to not be controlled especially by religion.

Posts: 499 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
One giant moronic thread. All peoples, all cultures, around the entire world and in every corner practice religion of some sort. Ubiquitous with the human experience. Allowing mankind and this nation to flourish. It’s importance cannot be overstated. Murder greed rape corruption are endemic in the human race. Sure all that has been done and more in the name God. Surprised? Don’t be, we’ll take most any reason offered. Why not choose the one that allays our guilt the most? For those things shall be done regardless. Now picture the German and British soldiers Christmas truce in 1914. Singing songs trading cigarettes and wine, playing games and enjoying fellowship.

“Later on in the day they came towards us,” Reading described. “And our chaps went out to meet them…I shook hands with some of them, and they gave us cigarettes and cigars. We did not fire that day, and everything was so quiet it seemed like a dream.” First hand account.

If religion God or whatever you want to call it, is man made, don’t be so arrogant as to think you know better. Our civilizations are built upon the experiences and lessons of our ancestors for good reason…they survived and made it. Maybe we can too.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
One giant moronic thread. All peoples, all cultures, around the entire world and in every corner practice religion of some sort. Ubiquitous with the human experience. Allowing mankind and this nation to flourish. It’s importance cannot be overstated. Murder greed rape corruption are endemic in the human race. Sure all that has been done and more in the name God. Surprised? Don’t be, we’ll take most any reason offered. Why not choose the one that allays our guilt the most? For those things shall be done regardless. Now picture the German and British soldiers Christmas truce in 1914. Singing songs trading cigarettes and wine, playing games and enjoying fellowship.

“Later on in the day they came towards us,” Reading described. “And our chaps went out to meet them…I shook hands with some of them, and they gave us cigarettes and cigars. We did not fire that day, and everything was so quiet it seemed like a dream.” First hand account.

If religion God or whatever you want to call it, is man made, don’t be so arrogant as to think you know better. Our civilizations are built upon the experiences and lessons of our ancestors for good reason…they survived and made it. Maybe we can too.

This may be the most excellent post I've ever seen here.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15056 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote