THE ACCURATE RELOADING POLITICAL CRATER

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  The Political Forum    This Strange Species Invading the Everglades May Be More Destructive Than Pythons

Moderators: DRG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Strange Species Invading the Everglades May Be More Destructive Than Pythons Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...a49d6e8eca12e3&ei=32

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19678 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well damn I am disappointed. When I read the headline about swamp eels I thought it was about politicians from Florida!

Posts: 499 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...8da9fbe72eeb86&ei=28

Deep in Florida, an ‘ecological disaster’ has been reversed—and wildlife is thriving
Story by Douglas Main • 5h ago

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19678 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
In the case of the Florida python, wouldn't broadly applicated poison work?

Of course I know it'll never happen and of course I know I am completely ignorant on the subject, but anyway,....

In the case of these eels they're counting 90% native species destruction already.
In the case of the pythons I seem to remember mention of some native species extinction, wouldn't it be better to go nuclear and eliminate all python prey and by extension the python?

If the Florida panther and white tail could be re introduced, if other at risk native fauna could be replaced, it seems reasonable to go scorched earth now and sterilize the bio.
No?

I'm happy to take my beating, go ahead.

I do know of a lake in California that northern Pike were illegally introduced to. At least twice state fish and game poisoned the lake to stop the spread of pike and it didn't work.

Posts: 9092 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too some extent yes. In a slightly round about way I was involved with an organisation looking at trying to remove invasive freshwater species from entire ecosystems here. Its a bloody tough task. Near impossible. There has been serious discussion about catching up a survivable population of at risk species and then starting at the headwaters, rotenoneing the entire system and starting again.

Posts: 4239 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

Of course I know it'll never happen and of course I know I am completely ignorant on the subject, but anyway,....

In the case of these eels they're counting 90% native species destruction already.
In the case of the pythons I seem to remember mention of some native species extinction, wouldn't it be better to go nuclear and eliminate all python prey and by extension the python?

If the Florida panther and white tail could be re introduced, if other at risk native fauna could be replaced, it seems reasonable to go scorched earth now and sterilize the bio.
No?

I do know of a lake in California that northern Pike were illegally introduced to. At least twice state fish and game poisoned the lake to stop the spread of pike and it didn't work.

Poison won’t work on pythons as they only eat live prey they kill. I’ve had Burmese pythons as pets….. popcorn

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13147 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

No?

Poison won’t work on pythons as they only eat live prey they kill. I’ve had Burmese pythons as pets….. popcorn

Didn't know or think of that. I can see why Hawaii has such strict laws regarding exotics. Very sad to read about these problems in Florida.

I still think Australia is a perfect place to introduce African game animals. Big Grin

Posts: 9092 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
How long can a python go without eating? No small mammals or other edibles for a year or two do the trick?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
How are you going to keep any prey away from pythons for 1-2 years? They can easily go 4-6 months without eating.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13147 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott, tequila causes strange thoughts. Big Grin

That the only excuse I can think of for your above posts.

Florida is a really phucked up state for invasive species. They were lax too long and lots of bad critters got loose.

It's been a Red state - that's the problem too. They don't call it the Red Tide State for nothing.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:

Florida is a really phucked up state for invasive species. They were lax too long and lots of bad critters got loose.

It's been a Red state - that's the problem too. They don't call it the Red Tide State for nothing.

Reminds one of Australia and the mess they're in.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
You put a big enough bounty/contest prize out there, you will catch dam near every wild and captive boa/python in a 3 state area. There’s er 300 million people in the country. If you want invasive snakes gone…it can be done.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is about an eel, not a python.

The removal of crawfish from natural habitat should cause some repercussions in the food chain.

I doubt this was a case of released pets.

FL is screwed as it’s a very isolated (biologically speaking) habitat with little local interspecies competition that is very fertile.

The pythons, eels, peacock bass/Oscar’s, etc have no competition from native species and outbreed them.

The eels are undoubtedly passengers from Chinese cargo ships. The pythons and fish are from stupid pet owners.

Most of the stupid exotic pet owners I’ve met have been progressives…

The republicans that have exotics are generally game farmers or home zoo folks doing it for $$$.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:

It is strange, entering ridiculous and no, not a drop of booze. tu2

But you did notice Shanks has information on the topic and both Dollar and I are familiar with the northern California Lake Davis experience, ( I think he'll remember,)

Like I said, ridiculous, but what is the successful alternative?

Editing to add that snakes are not Red State; go back to The Book of Genesis, serpents have always been Satan. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
You put a big enough bounty/contest prize out there, you will catch dam near every wild and captive boa/python in a 3 state area. There’s er 300 million people in the country. If you want invasive snakes gone…it can be done.

Damned if I'll go around the swamp seeking out pythons before there's anything short of a b52 napalm strike. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait for a dry season and burn the swamp. Not unlike how they regenerate African land.
I have done it on my property. Vegetation comes back better than ever.
Feet animals can escape most of the fire.
point is you might be better able;e to locate the snakes and address the issue better.
gators can find a holes to dive into.
Not perfect but a step.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the blame has gone to pet shops taken out during hurricanes. At least that has been florida's fish&wildlife dept's take. That is for snakes and lizards.
Eels,as with zebra mussels, dumped out of bilges by ships. Snakeheads, they think released by Asians who were partial to eating them.