Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Worst Lawyers on Earth Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
There are lots of incompetent lawyers out there making a marginal living doing simple bankruptcies and no-fault divorces, but nowhere in the legal world are worse lawyers to be found than those Donald Trump hires.

Right now they have an Appeal pending in the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals that claims, in part, that prosecuting Trump for criminal acts that were included in his second Impeachment, which Republicans were too cowardly to vote for despit clear evidence, constitutes "double jeopardy", or being put at hazard twice for the same offense.

If we turn our Constitutions to Article 1, Section 3, Clause 7, discussing the Senate's role in the Impeachment of Federal officials to include the President, we find:

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law. (emphasis mine)

Does that leave anybody wondering what the original intent of the Founders was? Any way to read that to mean if you are convicted and removed from Office you are still liable to criminal prosecution but if you aren't removed you magically acquire immunity?

Special Counsel Jack Smith just escalated the question to the Supreme Court.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9578 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It kind of makes sense.

If you were impeached and removed, your conduct was so egregious that your protections by being in office are removed. Therefor you are now criminally liable.

Of course, this line of reasoning means that it is reasonable to have impeachment proceedings after a person has left office.

Killing people in a declared war is not murder or conspiracy to murder.

But if you are no longer protected by virtue of office, aren’t you now liable for those charges?

I get that there should be immunity for elected officials who are performing their duties as best they can.

Posts: 10648 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
It kind of makes sense.

If you were impeached and removed, your conduct was so egregious that your protections by being in office are removed. Therefor you are now criminally liable.

Of course, this line of reasoning means that it is reasonable to have impeachment proceedings after a person has left office.

Killing people in a declared war is not murder or conspiracy to murder.

But if you are no longer protected by virtue of office, aren’t you now liable for those charges?

I get that there should be immunity for elected officials who are performing their duties as best they can.

All that typing to say nothing.

Posts: 9578 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don’t get the argument, it’s not my fault.

Posts: 10648 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you don’t get the argument, it’s not my fault.

He is not charged with conduct related to the duties of his office, nor was his second impeachment about such conduct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was he charged with crimes that occurred while he was in office or charged during his term?

Those would have bearing on privilege.

If he’s being charged for crimes that occurred before he was in office, I’m not buying that he has privilege.

I doubt that SCOTUS will return that he has due to double jeopardy. He was not charged with a crime in impeachment, he was being impeached.

His lawyers are trying anything to get him off, like lawyers are supposed to.

I’m just stating that privilege exists and for a reason. The reason for the statement of you no longer have privilege if you are removed from office seems pretty logical… you have privilege while in office, and for acts occurring while you were in.

I suspect the founders never expected the electorate to elect a known problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was he charged with crimes that occurred while he was in office or charged during his term?

If he’s being charged for crimes that occurred before he was in office, I’m not buying that he has privilege.

I doubt that SCOTUS will return that he has due to double jeopardy. He was not charged with a crime in impeachment, he was being impeached.

I’m just stating that privilege exists and for a reason. The reason for the statement of you no longer have privilege if you are removed from office seems pretty logical… you have privilege while in office, and for acts occurring while you were in.

You have immunity for official acts pursuant to the office, not criminal acts unrelated to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
There are lots of incompetent lawyers out there making a marginal living doing simple bankruptcies and no-fault divorces, but nowhere in the legal world are worse lawyers to be found than those Donald Trump hires.

Right now they have an Appeal pending in the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals that claims, in part, that prosecuting Trump for criminal acts that were included in his second Impeachment, which Republicans were too cowardly to vote for despit clear evidence, constitutes "double jeopardy", or being put at hazard twice for the same offense.

If we turn our Constitutions to Article 1, Section 3, Clause 7, discussing the Senate's role in the Impeachment of Federal officials to include the President, we find:

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law. (emphasis mine)

Does that leave anybody wondering what the original intent of the Founders was? Any way to read that to mean if you are convicted and removed from Office you are still liable to criminal prosecution but if you aren't removed you magically acquire immunity?

Lawyers become judges and the height of stupidity would be a judge who agrees with trump

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1209 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ANTELOPEDUNDEE:
quote:

Lawyers become judges and the height of stupidity would be a judge who agrees with trump

If they grant Trump immunity it also applies to Biden, unless they want to hand down another "custom" ruling that only applies to Republicans like Bush v Gore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Executive Privilege is rather narrow and explicit and really has no application here.

"The doctrine of executive privilege defines the authority of the President to withhold documents or information in his possession or in the possession of the Executive Branch from the Legislative or Judicial Branch of the government."

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not really sure he does get bad lawyers.

trump doesn't really give his lawyers much to work with. He acts like an idiot and does idiot shit. He doesn't listen. He lies literally every time he opens his mouth. He publicly disparages the judge who is going to decide how much money he'll have to pay in the NY case in just a few days. I'm not sure what you do with all that as his lawyer.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15127 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:

trump doesn't really give his lawyers much to work with. He acts like an idiot and does idiot shit. He doesn't listen. He lies literally every time he opens his mouth. He publicly disparages the judge who is going to decide how much money he'll have to pay in the NY case in just a few days. I'm not sure what you do with all that as his lawyer.

What most lawyers do, embrace plague monkeys rather than represent him.

It's actually a step down for Alina Habba from representing parking garages.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Court will hear it and expedite it, Trump's response is due Dec. 20.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nope - just nope
an impeachment, under article II, is not a trial under article III - and therefore not double jeopardy. his legal team is dead wrong in this

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38509 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm sure the other aspect is the notoriety/publicity. I promise you that Ms. Habba will have all the work she can handle for many years to come. If she's not made the head of trump's DOJ Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm sure the other aspect is the notoriety/publicity. I promise you that Ms. Habba will have all the work she can handle for many years to come. If she's not made the head of trump's DOJ Big Grin

Yeah, it's worked great for Giuliani and Sydney Powell...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, typically, legal representation does not include joining in potentially illegal activity. Giuliani and Powell became a part of the narrative and not in a representative capacity.

I'm not sure what you're saying? trump isn't entitled to counsel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you do one thing right it's make sure that YOU GET PAID IN ADVANCE!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, typically, legal representation does not include joining in potentially illegal activity. Giuliani and Powell became a part of the narrative and not in a representative capacity.

I'm not sure what you're saying? trump isn't entitled to counsel?

I think he's getting the representation he deserves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, the double jeopardy argument is ridiculous. As we have discussed, an impeachment is merely a political proposition. It has no barring on criminal procedure/prosecution.

It is a clear application of Nixon v United States, 506 U.S. 224 (US 1993). Nixon being Walter Nixon an impeached Fed Judge who tried to get the Supreme Court to intervene in said impeachment. The S. Ct., rightly ruled impeachment was a political matter. That the due process being provided in the Senate was a matter for the Senate to decide, and not the Courts.

The bottom line, impeachment is a political proceeding and not a judicial proceeding.

Jefffive, you are 100 percent correct. My only caveat is they have to try something, and they need is 5. Now, they are not going to get it.

What Jefffive is saying is Lawyers have an obligation not to advance totally unsupported, obviously unmerited claims. This argument is very short on merit. Now, that statement is made expressly and limited to this claim of immunity based on impeachment.

I would expect the President’s lawyers to raise other immunity defenses.

Posts: 10937 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh, I'd bet you would be surprised by the number of people looking for representation by these lawyers. You cant be serious.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Quite like the hooker lawyer Michael Avenatti, right? Best not to forget your own heroes.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . you mean the hooker that that champion of family values and hero of the evangelical right, Trump, was humping while his wife was pregnant. That hooker?

Mike

Posts: 21240 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The worst lawyers in on earth are in America.

They have it easy.

Preying on everyone, and fed by the most ignorant bunch of supposedly intelligent "voters"!

It would be interesting to know how much do Americans PAY lawyers every year!

I bet it would make for interesting reading! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67013 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

. . . not nearly enough.

Mike

Posts: 21240 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

. . . not nearly enough.

Of course not.

Otherwise you would be hunting in Africa 3 times a year! clap

And I hope you enjoy your hunts.

Best part is you won’t be bothering some poor sole while chasing lions and elephants! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67013 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Don't know about worst lawyers, but we have one of the worst DA's offices in the country here.

Same prosecutors office simultaneously claiming entirely different facts for prosecutions of the same crime:

https://denvergazette.com/opin...0a-76d491fafdf8.html

THIS is a perfect example of why many Americans have little faith in the Justice system and why lawyers are held in such low regard.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
Yay, you have a presidential candidate who has been convicted of both fraud and sexual assault and guess what, a lot of people are going to vote for him, he’s likely to get the R nomination and stands a good chance of being elected. You couldn’t make it up…

Posts: 7188 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He wasn’t found guilty of sexual assault. He was found liable for damages related to a claim of sexual assault.

It’s a subtle distinction, but the level of proof is very different.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
There is no difference in their minds.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m all for all of Epstein’s “clients” to be named and shamed.

I have already stated I’m not voting for Trump.

Are you willing to disavow Biden? Pretty much the same amount of proof he behaved inappropriately with young girls.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Of course he wouldn’t. You see, Jefffive is a liar.

https://www.politifact.com/fac...-with-a-girl-on-jef/

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:

Deleted, I have no desire to spread false anything.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:

Deleted, I have no desire to spread false anything.

Good call.
I rescind my assertion that you are a liar.

Unfortunately, in the future we will have 100% confidence in only what we see with our own eyes or hear with our own ears.

I am so pining for the day when I can choose to participate only to the level I decide I want to.

Unfortunately, for now, I need to earn a living, pay taxes and raise a family in this environment.

One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
He wasn’t found guilty of sexual assault. He was found liable for damages related to a claim of sexual assault.

Ok, thank you for pointing that out. Could you clarify why he was ordered to pay damages if he wasn’t “guilty” - not arguing with you, just want to understand.

Posts: 7188 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nute:
quote:

Ok, thank you for pointing that out. Could you clarify why he was ordered to pay damages if he wasn’t “guilty” - not arguing with you, just want to understand.

One is a civil matter and one is a criminal matter. The burden of proof is way lower in civil court and one is not found “guilty” in civil court…merely liable and incarceration is not a penalty.

OJ Simpson was found innocent of murder in criminal court yet liable for the damage inflicted by the murder in civil court.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36643 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
Thx Lane Smiler

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nute:
Thx Lane Smiler

Welcome sir.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36643 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the US, in criminal court you are to be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

In civil court, you are found to be liable if you are felt to have caused a loss more likely than not.

Add in that the lawyers on both sides are using psychology to both choose a sympathetic jury and sway them to vote their way; and that most folks would rather not be losing a lot of time sitting on a jury, we get some rather strange results at times.

Not that I find the finding against Trump all that bizarre.