THE ACCURATE RELOADING POLITICAL CRATER

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  The Political Forum    Thomas Sowell…he has actually studied history…full of common sense
Page 1 2 

Moderators: DRG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thomas Sowell…he has actually studied history…full of common sense Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Fair enough but beyond the race based policy supported by Heym what ones are you complaining about?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Huh. The real racists here are suddenly quiet. Whatsamatter Heym? Hopefully you’ve been doing some thinking about your position on race based affirmative action policies. That is real racism.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess my question re Sowell’s argument would be how many slaves total were brought in vs birth increase.

I suspect that if you added up all the descendants of the folks enslaved by the Barbary pirates, it would be a pretty huge number as well.

I’m not really sure what makes the trans Atlantic slave trade more reprehensible than any other slave trade.

The American slave trade’s reprehensibility is more related to the US citizen than generic evil. The Europeans definitely have their contribution to black slavery every bit as much as the white North Americans from a historical perspective. After all, it started under their control… if those pesky Europeans hadn’t brought the franchise when they came here, it’s certainly dubious that it would have developed here on its own.

The whole argument that society owes reparations for the past is nonsense.

There is a good argument that current racism should be addressed.

Posts: 10639 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slavery was part of Native American culture before Europeans got here. It was rather prevalent in that time frame no matter where you went.
I cant say we can blame Europe for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Slavery was part of Native American culture before Europeans got here. It was rather prevalent in that time frame no matter where you went.

That's true, but the thoughtful point out that this Country was, in fact, largely built on/with slave labor. Cotton fed the mills in the North and it was mostly slaves that built the Capitol and White House.

Lots of places had slaves in their past, not that many going concerns that depended on them like the United States did for its first seven or eight decades and before.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not really on the whitehouse and capitol buildings.
The Whitehouse was built using enslaved and free Africans, along with Europeans who hadnt achieved citizenship. Mostly Scotsmen, built the sandstone walls. Italian stone masons were brought in to construct the US Capitol.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by theback40:

Are your damning comments reserved only for the US? Or will you be including the rest of civilization throughout its history?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, how is that relevant or any way justification for the 18th Century Chattel Slavery practiced in the United a states, that the slavers said at the time of rebellion was not supported by the principles of the Constitution?

The answer is, it is not.

Posts: 10913 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Not really on the whitehouse and capitol buildings.
The Whitehouse was built using enslaved and free Africans, along with Europeans who hadnt achieved citizenship. Mostly Scotsmen, built the sandstone walls. Italian stone masons were brought in to construct the US Capitol.

quote:
Enslaved laborers participated in every stage of building construction, from the quarrying and transportation of stone to the construction of the Executive Mansion. They worked alongside European craftsmen, white wage laborers, and other free African-American wage laborers.

Link

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by theback40:
Are your damning comments reserved only for the US? Or will you be including the rest of civilization throughout its history?

The rest of the world can answer for and reckon with their own actions, I am an American Citizen and will not try to hide my County's actions behind the Queen of England's skirts.

If folks simply had complaints against individual slaveholders it would be of historical interest but little concern to me, as far as I can tell none of my people had slaves though some wore Confederate gray.

My Country, on the other hand, has had racism built into its Laws and institutions since its inception and it's past time we recognized that's wrong and fixed it.

Under NO circumstances should THIS government treat Citizens disparately because of the color of their skin.

Or the shape of their genitals, for that matter.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Nobody is arguing to “justify” slavery. Civilized society “evolved” past it. Hallelujah!

The OP was about the reparations conversation and lends itself to the discussion about whether there even is such a thing as “institutional racism.”

The only “institutional racism” I see is that of “affirmative action” based laws.

“Only racists run around spewing the slur racism.” - me!

quote:
My Country, on the other hand, has had racism built into its Laws and institutions since its inception and it's past time we recognized that's wrong and fixed it.

The vast majority of it IS corrected. The abolishment of “affirmative action” was another step in the right direction.

The quicker we get away from race as a criteria at all…the better off we will be.

Democrats!!! Quit “picking the scab” for political gain!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36635 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Nobody is arguing to “justify” slavery. Civilized society “evolved” past it. Hallelujah!

The OP was about the reparations conversation and lends itself to the discussion about whether there even is such a thing as “institutional racism.”

The only “institutional racism” I see is that of “affirmative action” based laws.

quote:

The vast majority of it IS corrected. The abolishment of “affirmative action” was another step in the right direction.

The quicker we get away from race as a criteria at all…the better off we will be.

If that were true a white man and a black man convicted of the same crime would receive very similar sentences; that's not the case.

If that were true your house would appraise for the same value whether represented as owned by a white family or a black one; that's not the case.

If that were true there would be NO "legacy" admissions policies to universities because they are, by definition, racist since most admitted few if any blacks two or three generations ago.

American Citizens cannot be guaranteed equal outcomes but they should damned sure be able to expect equal rights and equal opportunities; that's not the case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, I think what I posted already said what you copied.
You said it was built using mostly slave labor. I corrected that untruth.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:

more importantly,
they should stop creating fresh wounds

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

If that were true a white man and a black man convicted of the same crime would receive very similar sentences; that's not the case.
If they were tried and judged in the same jurisdiction I should expect them to be treated equally.

If that were true your house would appraise for the same value whether represented as owned by a white family or a black one; that's not the case.
I find this a bit hard to believe that it’s based on who owns it. Some proof (and as real estate is all location, I suspect it’s hard to find similar properties in identical areas…)

If that were true there would be NO "legacy" admissions policies to universities because they are, by definition, racist since most admitted few if any blacks two or three generations ago.
Legacy admission is essentially payback for alumni contributions. I don’t think it’s racist. Is it wrong? Maybe, but getting something for money is an American thing.

American Citizens cannot be guaranteed equal outcomes but they should damned sure be able to expect equal rights and equal opportunities; that's not the case.
I agree with this. I’m just not so sure your claim of it happening is all that accurate.

Posts: 10639 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
quote:
quote:

quote:

If they were tried and judged in the same jurisdiction I should expect them to be treated equally.
I don't just make this shit up Doctor: Link

I find this a bit hard to believe that it’s based on who owns it. Some proof (and as real estate is all location, I suspect it’s hard to find similar properties in identical areas…)
Anecdotal but consistent
Link
Anecdotal but consistent:
Link
Not anecdotal:
Link

Legacy admission is essentially payback for alumni contributions. I don’t think it’s racist. Is it wrong? Maybe, but getting something for money is an American thing.
Colleges that had no black students two or three generations ago grew no black donors.

I agree with this. I’m just not so sure your claim of it happening is all that accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one with “proof” was not identical.

They stated black majority neighborhoods vs white majority.

School quality? Crime stats? Proximity to jobs? Etc.

I know crime stats are one thing that gets claimed as racist, but frankly, I wouldn’t want to live in an area with rampant crime, even if it’s relatively petty like vandalism/tagging of garage doors, etc.

Also, at least up here, the estimates are pretty consistent because your property taxes are based on them. This state mandated that the evaluations be kept close to actual sales value. Frankly, you can price your house as you like, and I would rather pay taxes on a low valuation than an inflated one.

That being said, it is wrong if they price based on race, either way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
quote:
quote:

quote:

The only people picking the scab are folks like the Alabama legislature with their racial gerrymandering that are still trying after the S. Dr., told them they are violating federal law and one man one vote S.Ct., precedent.

Posts: 10913 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Go read the Supreme Court striking Alabama’s racial gerrymandered map. The same map Alabama refused to correct. Read the opinion snd the 20th and 21st century racism of that state legislature.

You have been trying to justify the South’s Chattel Slavery for awhile now.

Let us not forget the inconsistencies in testament the TN 3, particularly the two young African American representatives faced in TN, and are still facing. I have payed proof of Legislative Republicans not being punished for much worse conduct on the Legislative floor. Such as urinating on the opposition’s seat.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

To all the above Roll Eyes

American Citizens cannot be guaranteed equal outcomes but they should damned sure be able to expect equal rights and equal opportunities;

They are.

that's not the case.

Total baloney.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36635 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote