Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:
The only praise I give McCarthy is his foresight and desire to preserve the USA.

His methodology and political procedure sucked and did cause harm.

There lies much in common with McCarthy and Trump. Both had good ideas…they lacked acumen for execution.

McCarthy was a sick drunk who persecuted a lot of people needlessly and for his own aggrandizement. All of us want to preserve the US. You don't get points for that in my estimation.

I used to believe that too.

0bama ran on change…and change he did. thumbdown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/97reHqY6oPo

https://youtu.be/SMA7Ca_JT5g

https://youtu.be/svUyYzzv6VI

https://youtu.be/t9f8x999cUw
“Where’s My Roy Cohn?”

https://youtu.be/C_B1yt98lrI
The Cold War on TV: Joseph McCarthy vs. Edward R. Murrow

https://youtu.be/Pv4s0wdDOK0
Good Night, And Good Luck (2005) Official Trailer

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19762 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
The only praise I give McCarthy is his foresight and desire to preserve the USA.

There lies much in common with McCarthy and Trump. Both had good ideas…they lacked acumen for execution.

McCarthy was a sick drunk who persecuted a lot of people needlessly and for his own aggrandizement. All of us want to preserve the US. You don't get points for that in my estimation.

Disparaging Obama while posting fondly/nostagically about McCarthy. Bizarre. 2020

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15120 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Disparaging Obama while posting fondly/nostagically about McCarthy. Bizarre. 2020

Fondly? Nostalgically??? How about truthfully!? 0bama DID run on change and McCarthy had him pegged.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
0bama ran on change

Name one president who ran on same-old, same-old - I promise no change?

Remember the scandal?

https://youtu.be/WrTf6CaTTc0

Obama's Tan Suit: The Worst Scandal in Presidential History

https://youtu.be/f6MrskSNtCo

Double sTANdard? GOP Silent Over Biden Tan Suit After Obama Freakout

https://youtu.be/7dtSIvD9uDA

President Reagan's Remarks on Signing the Captive Nations Week Proclamation — 7/13/88

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19762 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
George H W Bush

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was he the one who promised no new taxes, or his son?

XXX

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Sr did. He ran on “same old same ole”

Everyone was pretty happy in the 80s.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/z6j6iTN7Tkw

Edward R Murrow's final reply to Senator Joseph McCarthy's See It Now appearance April 13, 1954

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
George H W Bush

quote:
Sr did. He ran on “same old same ole”

Everyone was pretty happy in the 80s.

The ole "read my lips" guy.

https://youtu.be/RZtaZTEO3jA

Convention flashback: 'Read my lips ...'

It's one of the most memorable political quotes of the last quarter-century. In 1988, George H. W. Bush was a vice president seeking the nation's highest office. With one pledge, he revved up the crowd and provided the media with the soundbite of the season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...%20to%2024%20percent.

Read my lips: no new taxes

On November 5, 1990, Bush signed the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990.[21] Among other provisions, this raised multiple taxes.

The law increased the maximum individual income tax rate from 28 percent to 31 percent, and raised the individual alternative minimum tax rate from 21 percent to 24 percent. It also increased other taxes, including payroll and excise taxes, and limited itemized deductions for high-income individuals. However, it increased access to the earned income tax credit for low-income families, and limited the capital gains rate to 28 percent.[22]

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
People dying of AIDS that the Christian Right called the Gay Plague were not happy in the 80s. Then straight people started dying of it.

The folks killed on that plane shot down by Libya and their families were not very happy.

North taking the fall could not be very happy.

WACO and a new militia movement was not for happiness.

There is no praise to give Sen. McCarthy. His goals were simply and grossly personal.
There is no good from or by him.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regardless of policy, AIDS patients in the 80’s had nothing. Even with the evil republicans running things, drugs were invented, and things got better. The GOP were the ones that gave those drugs around the world, not the Dems… that same GW Bush that caused the wars…

The folks who died in that plane bombing by Libya… how did that change? We had several bloody wars that made improvements for folks in the west, at a cost of civil liberties and ease of travel.

As for North taking the fall… he was a going nowhere rapidly Field grade officer who became more politically influential and wealthier than I suspect he ever imagined by his taking the fall publicly. If Regan had totally disavowed him, he would have been a nothing. Not that great of an example.

Were the 80’s perfect? No. But the world was more stable then. Folks often look on stability with nostalgia.

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

WACO and a new militia movement was not for happiness.

Waco and Ruby Ridge were in the 90s, sir

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38503 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The GOPers get more and more off the rails of sanity.

What's next? "Mussolini was right, it was just his methods that were flawed."

Anyone who would defend McCarthy or say he was right about anything has no real sense of morals.

I repeat: there is no Communist threat to the US today. It's just another GOP lie.

Posts: 6136 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
To be sure, some folks are willing to put Party in front of Country. Those kind of people are the real threat to this country. patriot

Happy 4th!

Speaking of which, anyone know how's Schiff doing?

Apparently, he is doing just fine. It looks like holding Trump accountable has dividends.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...p-rebuke/ar-AA1drLm0

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Regardless of policy, AIDS patients in the 80’s had nothing. Even with the evil republicans running things, drugs were invented, and things got better. The GOP were the ones that gave those drugs around the world, not the Dems… that same GW Bush that caused the wars…

The folks who died in that plane bombing by Libya… how did that change? We had several bloody wars that made improvements for folks in the west, at a cost of civil liberties and ease of travel.

As for North taking the fall… he was a going nowhere rapidly Field grade officer who became more politically influential and wealthier than I suspect he ever imagined by his taking the fall publicly. If Regan had totally disavowed him, he would have been a nothing. Not that great of an example.

Were the 80’s perfect? No. But the world was more stable then. Folks often look on stability with nostalgia.

I too fondly recall those days of stability, record violent crime, and crack wars raging in our cities.

The halcyon days indeed.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/5A-mUbW0VsU

"TRUMP" LEAVES ADAM SCHIFF A VOICEMAIL!

XXX

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I too fondly recall those days of stability, record violent crime, and crack wars raging in our cities.

The halcyon days indeed.

you forgot the record high inflation, and the fall of the soviets --
because in the 80s, the nation decided to vote in republicans, and then everything changed -

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The halcyon days indeed.

you forgot the record high inflation, and the fall of the soviets --
because in the 80s, the nation decided to vote in republicans, and then everything changed -

The Soviet Union fell in 1991 but the 80's set the stage.

The real change came under Clinton and the prosperous economy that he ran for two terms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
The GOPers get more and more off the rails of sanity.

What's next? "Mussolini was right, it was just his methods that were flawed."

Anyone who would defend McCarthy or say he was right about anything has no real sense of morals.

I repeat: there is no Communist threat to the US today. It's just another GOP lie.

Who would have thought? Defending McCarthy? How do you even start to address it? It's a waste of time arguing with crazy people.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15120 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All McCarthy was right about was the number and position of communists/sympathizers/folks with communist connections.

This clearly came out in the Soviet records after the fall of the USSR.

Was McCarthy a insightful guy? No, I don't think so.

Did he have an idea how to combat it? No, just screaming.

His methods were reprehensible and a violation of our constitutional and historic morals.

As to no communist threat, well, it looks like (look at China's most recent fighter plane) I think you are sorely mistaken.

I also think the idea of increased government control is a communist one, by and large. Both parties are playing that game now. The GOP pushed all the homeland defense crap through and the Dems are pushing reparations (its coming from some of them and the rest haven't shut it down...) and climate change regulations that have little to do with fixing anything.

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct. WACO was 1993. President Bush resigned from the NRA as a life member due to WLP statements. President Bush had already left office. Ruby Ridge was 1992. When do you think those ideological seeds were planted.

The 80s were the fertilizer for the Militia mov on the far right.

https://www.britannica.com/event/militia-movement

The Turner Diaries was published in 1978.

See also here

https://www.press.umich.edu/pd...72116829-origins.pdf

I am not sure what Crbutler is getting at.

The 80s were not peaceful and stable as the Faction here has broached. We have provided enough examples that the “good days” are a falsehood used to keep others considered less then from exercising political power.

I believe President Reagan’s White House knew all about North. That the White House was fine with it.

The policy of the GOP was to ignore AIDS in the 80s. They got what they deserved. Yep, they had nothing.
President Regan did not publicly mention AIDS until July 25, 1985. The Crisis is considered to have begun in June 5, 1981. The CDC first used the term AIDS in 1982.

Yeah things were just swell in the 80s.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Easter claims he is not extreme. Yet, here he is defending McCarthy.

You do not see his opposition defending Fred Hampton, Elijah Muhammad, or the Black Panther.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
McCarthy’s worries were well founded. Have to give credit where credit is due.

His methodology and political prowess were atrocious. Maybe he was a horrible human being…I don’t know.

One has to look no further than the size, scope, and objective of the US Bureaucracy of today versus the 1950s to see McCarthy had a valid point.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are correct. WACO was 1993. President Bush resigned from the NRA as a life member due to WLP statements. President Bush had already left office. Ruby Ridge was 1992. When do you think those ideological seeds were planted.
Waco was a goofy religious cult. Can’t blame that on the GOP. Ruby Ridge was a pure push by the Dem AG on gun law enforcement.

The Turner Diaries was published in 1978.

See also here

https://www.press.umich.edu/pd...72116829-origins.pdf

I am not sure what Crbutler is getting at.

The 80s were not peaceful and stable as the Faction here has broached. We have provided enough examples that the “good days” are a falsehood used to keep others considered less than from exercising political power.

The 80’s had a lot of issues. Most of which were addressed successfully by GOP led bipartisan action.

I believe President Reagan’s White House knew all about North. That the White House was fine with it.
I am sure they were as well. I think the White House felt that benign neglect of North served policy better than making a fuss either way. The point was you claimed North didn’t feel it was a good thing. Well, he wasn’t really going anywhere as a Marine, and it made him an influential figure in the nation.

The policy of the GOP was to ignore AIDS in the 80s. They got what they deserved. Yep, they had nothing.
President Regan did not publicly mention AIDS until July 25, 1985. The Crisis is considered to have begun in June 5, 1981. The CDC first used the term AIDS in 1982.

And? The medical industry was working full time trying to identify and come up with treatments. What would a presidential hand wringing do other than politicizing the situation?

Again, the 80’s had their issues, but we addressed them. Compare that to today. Furthermore, many of today’s issues were caused by political developments that occurred after the 80’s.

My personal view is that all times have their challenges, and while things in retrospect can appear better, it’s because the outcome is known now… nostalgia.

I can guarantee that in a few decades there will be folks waxing nostalgic about how nice it would be to live in a lockdown like Covid.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You say we have addressed them. The 80s were no better than now.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are correct. WACO was 1993. Ruby Ridge was 1992.

The 80s were not peaceful and stable as the Faction here has broached.
The policy of the GOP was to ignore AIDS in the 80s.

Yes, counselor, I corrected you -- your facts were wrong in that post, and are here in this post.

I take it you either weren't born in the 80s, or still in diapers - it's OBVIOUS you didn't live through it

BTW, I may need to remind you, we aren't British - and your use of "Faction" and occasionally "the Party" is rather pretentious. We tend to use colloquial english here. of course, that label is used to describe MPs in Parliament - and since there is "The Party" with a clear majority, that makes the minority party "the faction", therefore your usage is incorrect

https://www.apa.org/pi/aids/youth/eighties-timeline
quote:

In 1983, U.S. Congress passed the first bill that included funding for AIDS research and treatment, but it was still hard for people to understand AIDS. That same year, Joseph A. Sonnabend, a physician and AIDS researcher, was threatened to be evicted from his building in New York City for treating AIDS patients. Sonnabend’s case was the first AIDS discrimination lawsuit.

1984-86
1984-86
By 1984, San Francisco and New York both began to close bathhouses due to high-risk sexual activity occurring. Also in that year, the CDC reported that IV drug users shouldn’t share needles. By 1986, the CDC reported that African-Americans and Latinos were disproportionately affected by AIDS, especially children who made up 90 percent of AIDS cases.

The FDA approved the first antiretroviral drug zidovudine (AZT) in 1987. That year, Princess Diana was also photographed shaking the hand of a patient living with HIV in a London hospital. She went on to break down barriers and advocate for people living with HIV.

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like we have a new member of the cranky old bastard club old Big Grin

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like we have a new member of the cranky old bastard club old Big Grin

I guess that was "Aimed" at me -- thanks for welcoming me to your club, Steve

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome my brother in gray hair Big Grin

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Welcome my brother in gray hair Big Grin

LOLS ... the hair isn't so bad, just whitewalls when i get a haircut -- but my formerly brick red beard has about 2 feet of snow over it

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are correct. WACO was 1993. President Bush resigned from the NRA as a life member due to WLP statements.

Wrong, again, on several levels. Pres Bush resigned from the NRA in 1995
quote:
George H.W. Bush submitted a letter dated May 3, 1995, to the NRA, resigning his Life Membership in that organization

The "80s were the fertilizer..."

The ADL disagrees with you
quote:
Militia groups began to form not long after the deadly standoff at Waco, Texas, in 1993; by the spring of 1995, they had spread to almost every state

https://www.adl.org/resources/...der/militia-movement

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:

as to: "HIV"
Actually information and therapies developed relatively quickly
(as compared to treatment of other viral entities)

The first case that was documented in Texas occurred in 1980/81
(a case i was involved with)
as well as other cases being noted in centers around the USA.

Of course the term had not yet been coined.

It was referred to as :
"an unspecified immune deficiency presumed virally mediated"

Shortly thereafter the CDC coined:
"GRID" - for "gay related immunodeficiency", in 1982 "AIDS " was coined.

By 1983 research was underway at almost every major US center (and around the world).

"HIV" was coined in 1984.
Blood Banks began a screening procedure in 1985 (albeit with mixed results)

With Rock Hudson's death, public research donations began to rapidly increase,
as well the Reagan Administration began a campaign for more federal funding.

Few " novel" medical disease discoveries had ever gone from essentially unknown to heavily researched in as short a time.

Particularly with only about 3 to 4000 known cases at the time.(US)

and so on and so on

(yeah we surgeons know nothing of viruses,
nor the research thereof))

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

other than this actually being factually incorrect, you must, by your own "logic" must believe Trump is the greatest president EVER do to his incredibly short response time for creating treatments, sending aid, ships, mobile hospitals, and ventilators IMMEDIATELY --

Now, I know you can't rationally say trump was awesome , but you can state that your presidential greatness meter needs to be recalibrated

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not fault President Trump overall for his response to Covid. I find it contemptible those on the Left who now complain about the “lockdowns” ad self serving.

I have given reason why the majority of Americans ignored the AIDS issue in the 90s; including the Administration.

No, I do not believe President Trump was the greatest president because of the Bog Lie and Jan 6. I fault him for his policy on NATO, and the border.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You are correct. WACO was 1993. President Bush resigned from the NRA as a life member due to WLP statements.

Wrong, again, on several levels. Pres Bush resigned from the NRA in 1995
quote:
George H.W. Bush submitted a letter dated May 3, 1995, to the NRA, resigning his Life Membership in that organization

The "80s were the fertilizer..."

The ADL disagrees with you
quote:
Militia groups began to form not long after the deadly standoff at Waco, Texas, in 1993; by the spring of 1995, they had spread to almost every state

https://www.adl.org/resources/...der/militia-movement

The ASL gives a date of 1993. That is not far into the 90z again, the militia movement Bible is the Turner Diaries published in 1978. The Turner Diaries is where the ideology for the violence of the early 90s comes from. It is the Militia Movement’s Mein Kampf. It being sold on the back tables is why I quit going to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot.

I am not wrong on President Bush Registration. I did not give a date. I know it was in 95. The point is the milia movement is fertilized in the 80s. We see violence in the early 90s peaking in 96. Violence the NRA condoned. See WLP statement.

Now, we see this violence being brought again by far right ideology. Ted Nugget, “ Suck in my Machine Gun-NRA Board Member, Jan 6, and most recently the nut who went President Obama hunting at the institution of President Trump.

Oh, the guy who went to shoot yo a puzzle place bc Dems were having children sex cults.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

His methodology and political prowess were atrocious. Maybe he was a horrible human being…I don’t know.

One has to look no further than the size, scope, and objective of the US Bureaucracy of today versus the 1950s to see McCarthy had a valid point.

There is nothing inherently Communist about Administrative Regulations. Marxism as a goal seeks an end to the Government State. There is no defense for McCarthy. Anyone who does and use Administrative Law as a point is not a serious person.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Easter claims he is not extreme. Yet, here he is defending McCarthy.

You do not see his opposition defending Fred Hampton, Elijah Muhammad, or the Black Panthers.

McCarthy is no better, just as worse as any of those. The difference is no one here is trying to Defend them.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There is nothing inherently Communist about Administrative Regulations.

bsflag

Marxism as a goal seeks an end to the Government State.

As a distant end over 100s of generations maybe. But the primary tool achieve this distant goal is “government regulation.”

There is no defense for McCarthy. Anyone who does and use Administrative Law as a point is not a serious person.

And I would submit that anyone who can’t see the correlation is too obtuse, ignorant, and/ or biased to be able to see a forest for being obstructed by trees.

Some people are able to play chess…while others only checkers. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

The ASL gives a date of 1993. That is not far into the 90z again, the militia movement Bible is the Turner Diaries published in 1978. The Turner Diaries is where the ideology for the violence of the early 90s comes from. It is the Militia Movement’s Mein Kampf. It being sold on the back tables is why I quit going to the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot.

I am not wrong on President Bush Registration. I did not give a date. I know it was in 95. The point is the milia movement is fertilized in the 80s. We see violence in the early 90s peaking in 96. Violence the NRA condoned. See WLP statement.

Now, we see this violence being brought again by far right ideology. Ted Nugget, “ Suck in my Machine Gun-NRA Board Member, Jan 6, and most recently the nut who went President Obama hunting at the institution of President Trump.

Oh, the guy who went to shoot yo a puzzle place bc Dems were having children sex cults.

uhm, i'll give you a chance to go back and proofread/correct you post before I answer --

#dumptrump

476AR,