New
Find
Notify
Tools

24,000 ARs for Israel? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
This sale of Colt rifles is likely to go through very shortly, with an unknown number of these weapons to be given to civilians, which will surely include right-wing settlers in the West Bank, where 150 Palestinians have been killed since October 7.
No one disputes Israelis' rights to self defense, but this is disturbing on a number of fronts, especially in light of the record of the far-right minister of national security, Mr. Itamar Bin Gvir. From this morning's NYT:

"Those fears have heightened because the process has been overseen by Mr. Ben-Gvir, who was barred from serving in the Israeli military as a teenager in the 1990s because of concerns in the security services about his extremist views.

Until 2020, Mr. Ben-Gvir displayed a large photograph in his living room of a Jewish mass murderer who killed 29 Palestinians in a West Bank mosque in 1994."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16418 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the NYT’s blatant choosing sides and pro Hamas slant (see the whole hospital rocket thing), I’m not sure I’m going to worry about what a NYT op Ed says.

I think the world overall would be better off if all folks were granted the right of armed self defense, similar to the US.

That is certainly up to the individual nations to decide, and how they do it is up to them…

But as the Swiss show, high numbers of weapons don’t automatically mean abuses.

Probably has more to do with the homogeneity of Swiss society than anything else, but as what happened in Israel shows, being unable to defend yourself has some pretty real consequences.

Posts: 10656 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rights are not granted. They are acknowledged, abused, or violated...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14388 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
This sale of Colt rifles is likely to go through very shortly, with an unknown number of these weapons to be given to civilians, which will surely include right-wing settlers in the West Bank,

Wow!

Great news!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36644 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
While I fully support this and MORE.

The other side of the coin is:
Current Colt production AR-15 types
(M4, M4A1, EPR, Trooper, etc)
are only moving at or below listed distribution (wholesale prices).

The irony,
this may help Colt more than Israel.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's their own fault.
the only one I feel bad for is CZ having to sit on all those over priced POS rifles for so long.

Posts: 4982 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ knew what they were getting in to.

I think the Colt rifles (and I have a few) are good, but I’d agree they are overpriced in today’s market.

Posts: 10656 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote