Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here's what the Texas Legislature is up to.... Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
House Bill 1147: Teaching third graders how to apply tourniquets for use in battlefield trauma.

(4) require the district or charter school to annually
offer instruction on the use of a bleeding control station from a
school resource officer or other appropriate district or school
personnel who has received the training under Subdivision (3) to
students enrolled at the campus in grade three [seven] or higher.
(d) A bleeding control station required under this section
must contain all of the following required supplies in quantities
determined appropriate by the superintendent of the district or the
director of the school:
(1) tourniquets approved for use in battlefield trauma
care by the armed forces of the United States;
(2) chest seals;
(3) compression bandages;
(4) bleeding control bandages;
(5) space emergency blankets;
(6) latex-free gloves;
(7) markers;
(8) scissors; [and]
(9) instructional documents developed by the American

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15096 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it, but it appears necessary.

Posts: 10902 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
It beats "Gender Queer" in the school library.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Seems just fine to me. Better than teaching them that John is now Mary……. tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Exactly!

Something useful at least!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Exactly!

Well, that's the whole point. What sort of society do we live in where you idiots are more concerned about kids being taught that some people are different versus the necessity of a third-grader knowing how to dress a wound from an assault rifle in preparation for the next school massacre?

faint

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I am unaware, anecdotally, or otherwise of any 3d grader at any school shooting ever having to dress a wound from a gunshot. Is basic first aid invaluable to all of us? It sure is.

What is not invaluable is the public school; i.e. the State stepping in to get involved in the culture wars and taking sides with that sort of filth.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
I am unaware, anecdotally, or otherwise of any 3d grader at any school shooting ever having to dress a wound from a gunshot. Is basic first aid invaluable to all of us? It sure is.

What is not invaluable is the public school; i.e. the State stepping in to get involved in the culture wars and taking sides with that sort of filth.

Well, I guess that's the point.....now, third graders can apply battle dressings to the wounded in the aftermath of the next massacre. An important legislative priority these days, I suppose.

But, thanks to you and those who think like you, they'll be insulated from knowing that some folks are different in terms of gender. And, by the way, seeking fair and equal treatment is not "taking sides."

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
It is my hope you really do not believe the nonsense about changing one's gender. Despite any past interactions or bad feelings between us I know you are an educated man. It is not difficult to recognize the agenda at work here by deconstructing society. It is not the job of the public school to further that agenda. Performance nationwide on scholastic aptitude tests has been falling for decades. I submit the schools in this nation should be more concerned with addressing education rather than people parading around playing make believe and expecting the rest of us to play along. Children will grow up soon enough and realize there are all sorts of people out there on their own without their math teacher talking about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck, when I was in middle school they offered basic first aid and CPR as part of our health class. This was a required class.

We were taught about tourniquets, various bandages, etc. and yes, GSW's were covered (mainly due to the preponderance of hunters in the area...)

So while I do feel getting that specific in passing a law about school curriculum is overreach, after what has happened in TX with the one school shooting, depending on first responders seems to be a bit wishful thinking.

Posts: 10628 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:

Well, I guess that's the point.....now, third graders can apply battle dressings to the wounded in the aftermath of the next massacre. An important legislative priority these days, I suppose.

But, thanks to you and those who think like you, they'll be insulated from knowing that some folks are different in terms of gender. And, by the way, seeking fair and equal treatment is not "taking sides."

Are you simple enough to think school is the only place children will be exposed to life?

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Exactly!

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36618 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Much, much better!!!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
That age group is likely to see WWIII…good tools for their tool box.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36618 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
When I was in school, I took my shotgun with me to class!

Left it behind the classroom door with a box of ammo.

Used it to shoot birds on the way home! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

I don't think I want my future third grader to consider combat medicine.

Posts: 9116 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:

I don't think I want my future third grader to consider combat medicine.

I don’t “want” to think about it either. As a realist…I see it on our horizon.

That said…she may come upon a car wreck with a bleeding femoral artery — still good solid knowledge for the tool box.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was in school, I took my shotgun with me to class!

Left it behind the classroom door with a box of ammo.

Used it to shoot birds on the way home! clap

As a senior in high school…I was an assistant teacher in Agriculture. Took my .22 to school to shoot rats in the haybarn of the school farm. I would drive the freshmen out there to do landscape work with .22 beside me in the seat of school pickup.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fucking idiots. The legislative response to school massacres in Texas is to pass laws requiring the teaching of combat medicine to third graders instead of doing something about stopping school massacres. And, the only comment that any of you fucking idiots have is "that is a good thing."
Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now national standard day not to stop and assist because when you do that more people get killed.

That is the main problem besides we need to have this conversation that I see.

Posts: 10902 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fucking idiots. The legislative response to school massacres in Texas is to pass laws requiring the teaching of combat medicine to third graders instead of doing something about stopping school massacres. And, the only comment that any of you fucking idiots have is "that is a good thing."
Confused

There is only one thing to do to have immediate effects — harden schools. My son’s school has been hardened. The day the Snapchat threat was made…it looked like it was a DPS station.

But…we should help more to harden all schools.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But don’t spend any tax money to accomplish that to a national standard.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Confused

The floor is yours. How would you propose to stop school massacres? Assume you are king for a day. What is your solution?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Confused

The floor is yours. How would you propose to stop school massacres? Assume you are king for a day. What is your solution?

Teach the rainbow nation’s children to sit around a campfire singing kumbaya while roasting their weanies and warming their buns, of course…

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
But don’t spend any tax money to accomplish that to a national standard.

Fine with me as long as long as cut equal spending elsewhere.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Except the people’s representatives (elected by majority) have voted for those spending measures.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
That's why it's the Uniparty.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Except the people’s representatives (elected by majority) have voted for those spending measures.

Well…I guess the people will have to decide what they want more.

That is generally how things work isn’t it.

Man I would really like to have those new Air Jordans (equivalent to many things our gvt supports). I have enough money in my account to buy them. Wife says: don’t you really need a couple of new pair of work boots (equivalent to school security)? Yeah, you’re right…I will spend that money on them.

You have the mentality of a Democrat — always thinking there is more money available…just gotta figure out the right way to confiscate it legally with a tax.

Let me clue you in. Money is a finite resource. Only so much to go around.

The government should reallocate resources and correct the problem. Oops I forgot!!! The real problem is guns! 2020

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess we can have a tax that pays for national hardening of schools.

I would have Pittman like tax on firearms and ammunition sales.

The real problem may be too relaxed access to guns.

I believe the best solution includes Harding schools to a national standard, and paying for it. That unfunded mandates are not Conservative.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
The federal government already gives plenty. Education should be returned to the states. The federal department of education is an abysmal failure. The problem is not easy access to guns. The problem is with the culture. A moral culture would not tolerate this. We live in an immoral, post-truth culture and violence comes with immorality.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I guess we can have a tax that pays for national hardening of schools.

I would have Pittman like tax on firearms and ammunition sales.

The real problem may be too relaxed access to guns.

I believe the best solution includes Harding schools to a national standard, and paying for it. That unfunded mandates are not Conservative.

Yes, a real-conservative will cut spending from a less important project and reallocate that money to the more urgent situation. In fact…manipulating a budget in that manner WITHOUT increasing taxes is the sole essence of conservatism.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with coming up with a new source of funding if I cannot find anything that we could cut instead.

Frankly, I can find a lot that I think should be cut.

In particular the pay raise and pensions of the congress critters that got us into this patch in the first place.

You want to place a ruinous high tax to discourage behaviors? How about a 50% tax with no exemptions for legislators and executive branch elected positions on any money earned or value increased over their base congressional salary?

Posts: 10628 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Confused

There is only one thing to do to have immediate effects — harden schools. My son’s school has been hardened. The day the Snapchat threat was made…it looked like it was a DPS station.

You're touting a school that looks like a state police station.

Lane, WTF?

Something has to be done. I can't believe that we can't agree that something meaningful has to be done. I don't know what it is. I am a gun guy and I have my guns. But, something has to be done. We can't not do anything and we have got to get together and push for something to try to stop this shit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can certainly agree that something meaningful has to be done. In fact, something meaningful should have been done forty years ago. Instead, one segment of our society strove to blame an object (the gun) while avoiding any tendency to simply blame the perpetrator or his parents. On the other hand, another segment was so busy trying to protect the right to own the gun ( an understandable response to an assault on that right) they ignored any suggestion that perhaps there were people who should not have that right.
I do not believe that "hardening" schools is any sort of an answer. That is a defensive move and I think we are better off playing offense. At some point, we, as a society, have to recognize that some behaviors are anti-social and they have to be recognized and dealt with. I'm pretty sure that assisting transexuals to groom children is of no value.
As far as the teaching of emergency medical techniques to children is concerned, whether the context is school shootings or farming accidents, I don't think it a bad thing. I do think of school shootings being the context does seem just wrong. Sixty-five years ago, I was taught rescue breathing and basic first aid in my fourth grade. It was just part of helping rural kids help themselves.
Speaking of school shootings, I still recall one day, during lunch hour, when a fellow showed up behind the school with a Lee Enfield. He loaded it up, then picked up an empty soup can and threw it into the air. He kept that can in the air for several shots until one shot sent it flying too. He repeated this a couple more times. This was not part of the curriculum and I don't know who he was, but we kids were some impressed. This was in Taylor B.C., in 1959. Different times. List the things which have changed from then, and within that list, we might find the answer. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I could not disagree more about not hardening schools. The very place where our most valuable are at their most vulnerable should be protected. Do you take steps to protect your most valuable assets? Why should our children get any less?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not expect the state to turn schools into fortresses. I think it is much better to work at making such action unnecessary. Hardening of schools is just like hardening airports or bus depots. Let's sacrifice some freedom to gain some security.
I can agree with cops (constables on patrol) being present in neighborhoods around schools. If they see some one approaching the school while carrying an AR 15, they can take him down. If they see a pedophile hanging around, they can take him down. If they see someone dealing drugs, ditto. At the same time, we can get back to encouraging good behavior and discouraging bad behavior. Quit glorifying the drug dealer and pimp, the prostitute and drug user. Accept that it is OK to be normal. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3531 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Exactly which freedom(s) do you see being sacrificed at the expense of hardening schools?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Confused

Lane, WTF?

Something has to be done. I can't believe that we can't agree that something meaningful has to be done. I don't know what it is. I am a gun guy and I have my guns. But, something has to be done. We can't not do anything and we have got to get together and push for something to try to stop this shit.

Harden schools…it is the ONLY immediate solution. I am for it. What solution do you propose that will help immediately?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Confused

Lane, WTF?

Harden schools…it is the ONLY immediate solution. I am for it. What solution do you propose that will help immediately?

I would propose that we blind the school shooter with a hot poker, pull out all of his teeth with a pair of rusty pliers, squeeze his nuts in a vise for several hours and then throw him into an enclosure with several ravenous feral hogs. But, I guess the lawyers wouldn't allow that.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Fine by me^^^

I would settle for a public hanging on the square and ban all social media from blocking films of it on their platforms.

J. Lane Easter, DVM