Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Renewing drivers license in Texas Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Got letter that because I am 79 I cannot renew DL online. Went to their hard to navigate site and made appointment. I misread the letter--my fault I thought my military ID would be all I needed. No they want birth certificate or current passport. Couldn't find my birth certificate but had expired passport. Found birth certificate, was told it was photo copy wouldn't work. Had to go to County clerk office and waste $23 for one they would accept. For 64 years what they had on file for me was working but now it doesn't work. Do they think I was born again in some other country? I hope the idiot that set all these policies loses his job.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
Like everything else, even bureaucracy is bigger in Texas?

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not drivers license, but an amusing story about bureaucracy.
Washington state went online for reporting fuel purchases and mileage for ifta. (International fuel tax agreement). We are required to file quarterly returns. When they rolled the program out, they deleted accounts that weren't active in the last 31 days.much fun and merriment ensued. Can't operate a truck interstate without an ifta account.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It took me from November until yesterday to meet the feds & Iowa's brain dead regulations trying to get a passport. They threw me a curve at every step, most involving about 2 weeks of waiting for Iowa to furnish birth certificate data & such. I got the application sent off yesterday, after 3 months of delays, state related BS.

Posts: 15874 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
When did this change take place???

Once you could walk into your county office and be done in 10 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

The ritual sounds like "Real ID" to me, did this little dance a few years ago. Social Security card disappeared a few decades back with my draft card, had to go get another one. SS wanted two of birth certificate, passport (current), and one other thing that I can't remember now, maybe the Real ID drivers license I was getting from the state. Of course the passport people wanted two or three IDs as well, and there were loggerheads for awhile until I got that mess sorted. I did have my birth certificate, good because I don't know if the hospital still exists.

Thanks to the Bush Republicans for this national ID card scheme. Your papers, please...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14373 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
carpetman1,
does yor expiring TX DL have the Gold Star in the right upper corner?
If so , you already have "Real ID" status.

At 79 to 84 , yes, you have to go in on the 1st expiration.

At 85, they will make you go in every year or two.
(have seen it both ways).

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
When In3as born here they had no birth certificates clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Part of it started after 9/11,
the remainder came with the "Real ID" requirements

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s a joke everywhere.

I had to renew mine up here.

I decided that I might as well do the real ID compliant stuff and brought everything needed.

I got there the day after my birthday, so I was technically expired…but within the 30 day grace period.

They refused to renew with real ID compliant license.

But they were just fine with renewing the old form, and told me to come back in a week when I got it and I could renew the real ID form… for another fee.

I will just bring my damn passport card for flying. Jeez.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
It took me from November until yesterday to meet the feds & Iowa's brain dead regulations trying to get a passport. They threw me a curve at every step, most involving about 2 weeks of waiting for Iowa to furnish birth certificate data & such. I got the application sent off yesterday, after 3 months of delays, state related BS.

Mow you can look forward to 3 months of waiting until it comes back to you, then pray the USPS does not lose it.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DuggaBoye--No star here.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote