THE ACCURATE RELOADING POLITICAL CRATER

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  The Political Forum    Alabama loses again to keep African Americans unrepresented

Moderators: DRG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alabama loses again to keep African Americans unrepresented Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
S. Ct., told Alabama it had engaged in impermissible, racial gerrymandering.

Alabama refused to follow the Court’s instructions.

S. Ct., refused to grant Alabama any relief when the State refused to correct the map.

Now, a Federal Court has drawn the map.

https://apple.news/AkMnvSH2JQIKF88MNXwAzAA

I am glad the Federal Government is strong enough to ensure basic fairness in voting and enforcement of the one man one vote principle.

If you want people to stop thinking of you as racists, then stop doing Racists things.

Posts: 10930 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's just ridiculous that 25% of the population somehow thinks they should be entitled to have any chance at electing more than 14% of the State's Congressional delegation...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see if they apply the same standard to what the dems did here in New Mexico.

Posts: 315 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Hhhuuuuummmmm, I wonder what could be more racist than designating a race (to the exclusion of other races) to insure guaranteed racist representation.
What about other groups that have been traditionally been discriminated agains like old age, women, country of national origin, religion.
Kinda like “We had to destroy the village to save it”.

quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
It's just ridiculous that 25% of the population somehow thinks they should be entitled to have any chance at electing more than 14% of the State's Congressional delegation...

I agree that a state should be prohibited from gerrymandering to ensure the majority race’s retention of power, but at the same time, it makes no sense to do just the opposite.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
What Mr. Jilek said. I was just going to raise the New Mexico issue. The Dems have been in control of that fair state for something like 90 of the last 100 years, and look where it ranks in education, quality of life, etc., ad nauseum.

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-...th%2C%20respectively.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16415 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Hhhuuuuummmmm, I wonder what could be more racist than designating a race (to the exclusion of other races) to insure guaranteed racist representation.
What about other groups that have been traditionally been discriminated agains like old age, women, country of national origin, religion.

quote:

I agree that a state should be prohibited from gerrymandering to ensure the majority race’s retention of power, but at the same time, it makes no sense to do just the opposite.

Drawing a District where 48% of voters are black doesn't "guarantee" them anything but a chance.

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._District_13_map.png

Look at the history of racist mandated redistributing.

Dead cat district because it looked like a road kill.

Just put equally spaced squares on a state equal to the number of districts and open or close the area to include the proper number of citizens therein.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looks like Gym Jordan's District, and I'll guarantee it was drawn by Republicans to corral Democrats into a single district.

Later versions after it was redrawn made it a 75% Biden District.

Redistricting should be done by non-partisan commissions and Districts should be as compact as possible and should include entire communities when possible.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Democrats or Black people? Dog whistle? You hit the racist nail on the head. Qualifying folks by color instead of beliefs, character, education or whatever Martin King tried to teach us is racism, plain and simple.

Joe Biden’s racist stupidity paraphrased, “ You’re not Black unless you vote for me”
Captures it perfectly.
quote:
Looks like Gym Jordan's District, and I'll guarantee it was drawn by Republicans to corral Democrats into a single district.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read the Supreme Court Opinion Judge. The majority details a history of RACIAL gerrymandering by the State of Alabama going on for decades.

Posts: 10930 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Democrats or Black people? Dog whistle? You hit the racist nail on the head. Qualifying folks by color instead of beliefs, character, education or whatever Martin King tried to teach us is racism, plain and simple.

Joe Biden’s racist stupidity paraphrased, “ You’re not Black unless you vote for me”
Captures it perfectly.
quote:

I haven't looked at the racial makeup of that District, but if you get to do the gerrymandering you NEVER draw a District with 75% of your own voters, that's wasting votes you could use in a neighboring District. A number like that only happens when the other side is drawing the lines to pack as many of the opposition's voters into a single District as possible to keep them from achieving competitiveness in a second.

If you knew jack shit about how politics is done in this Country you'd know that.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
A personal attack when logic trumps feelings seemes to be inevitable here.

That noted, I wasn’t speaking to what politics/politicians are, but what they ought to be. Politicians don’t have to be racists. They could have intellectual integrity but most all fail. Both sides of the isle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A personal attack when logic trumps feelings seemes to be inevitable here.

That noted, I wasn’t speaking to what politics/politicians are, but what they ought to be. Politicians don’t have to be racists. They could have intellectual integrity but most all fail. Both sides of the isle.

So you were just playing dumb about how that District came to be?

If it was drawn along racial lines it was Republicans doing the drawing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Racism is.......racism.....no mater who it is perpetrated by....

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, the learned Judge and JTex should read the opinion.

When Alabama dilutes majorities to ensure those majorities cannot elect those they wish based on race, thank God we have a strong Fed Gov to stop it.

Because the Alabama Legislature is smart enough to know if those African American majority districts are not so diluted, then Rs won’t get elected.

When you argue in support of a Judicially determined racists policy, Well, you are supporting a racists action by the state.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
So, (gross population numbers remaining approximately the same) if formerly Black District (created to ensure racially identified representatives) has its demographics changed by movement of its citizens elsewhere, or gentrification takes place, and the district becomes something other than a black majority, is the Alabama legislature required to chase racial goals in its representatives sent to Congress? If so, then intent means nothing but racism does.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, (gross population numbers remaining approximately the same) if formerly Black District (created to ensure racially identified representatives) has its demographics changed by movement of its citizens elsewhere, or gentrification takes place, and the district becomes something other than a black majority, is the Alabama legislature required to chase racial goals in its representatives sent to Congress? If so, then intent means nothing but racism does.

That would not represent an unconstitutional, deliberate effort to disenfranchise a class of voters the State had over a century of history of denying the right to vote.

They fought this all the way to the Supreme Court, lost there and then the legislature tried to just ignore the Supreme Court ruling, which I guess was just fine in your preferred mode of jurisprudence.