New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disney cancels billion dollar development in Florida Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
So if Exxon Mobile or Shell in Houston/Galveston were granted essentially self governing status, that would be OK? After all, they bring a lot of money/jobs into Texas……. popcorn Disney’s special privileges has been a point of contention for many in FL for years.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13147 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The irony of all this is that MeatBall Ron thinks he is enhancing his chances of securing the GOP nomination for POTUS with this nonsense when, in reality, he's flushed it down the toilet with this bullshit.

Trump will kill him with this shit in the GOP debates and is already positioning himself with his public statements on the issue.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15056 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
So if Exxon Mobile or Shell in Houston/Galveston were granted essentially self governing status, that would be OK? After all, they bring a lot of money/jobs into Texas……. popcorn Disney’s special privileges has been a point of contention for many in FL for years.

Yeah, but Exxon and Shell haven't been granted those privileges. So, bullshit response. Not analagous or relevant.

I get what you're trying to say. I mean...you got to say something if you're a republican, right?

It must be frustrating to be a member of the Grand Old Party these days. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Reread my comment. I said IF the oil conglomerates were granted independent status. Since you are too dense to figure it out my point is if a business brings in enough money/jobs is it OK to give them free rein to do as they please? DeSantis was elected with a large majority to carry out the will of the voters, who obviously support his positions. Considering Walt’s conservative views in general, my guess is that he wouldn’t approve of his company’s new direction.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13147 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Walt took a shithole, mosquito infested swamp and made a huge and beneficial thing of it. The people who actually live there would like for DeSantis to take a flying fuck.

Posts: 15877 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Walt would not recognize the current “Disney”

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He also would tell DeSantis to go pound his sand

Posts: 15877 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bullspit.

Disney is revered in FL, except by the WOKE ass repugs.

Trump: "Putin is a Genius" "Hezbollah is very smart"

Posts: 17195 | Location: FL | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reread my comment. I said IF the oil conglomerates were granted independent status. Since you are too dense to figure it out my point is if a business brings in enough money/jobs is it OK to give them free rein to do as they please? DeSantis was elected with a large majority to carry out the will of the voters, who obviously support his positions. Considering Walt’s conservative views in general, my guess is that he wouldn’t approve of his company’s new direction.

Did you have a seance with Walt to get that info?

And, speaking of dense, who is saying anything about "free rein to do whatever they please?" We're talking about free speech guaranteed by the First Amendment. The ability to state your opinion without fear of reprisal, political or otherwise. And, I don't give a damn if everybody in the state of Florida voted for that fucking book-banning trans and gay phobic moron, it doesn't obviate a company's rights under the Constitution.

If people don't like Disney's positions, don't go to Disney. It's not up to Meatball Ron to punish Disney because they disagree with his discriminatory political opinions.

One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
Walt has been hanging around lake ONEGA
Just fishing he said

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Not excusing DeSantis’ behavior:

Here’s some self righteousness for you.
Disney’s agenda for Progressive causes is obvious in its productions. I don’t think anyone, left or right would deny that.

Here’s the self righteous hypocrisy.

For financial reasons, and for financial reasons only, Disney happily divests itself of honesty and integrity and self-censors its American-version movies removing the LGBT agenda (or whatever the current alphabet is this week) to reap the huge market dollars from repressive and/or totalitarian governments which buy the censored versions. Heck, governments with whom Disney’s in bed with enslave folks and execute gays. It ain’t a secret. It’s just ignored for profit.

Not very high ground for Iger to defend…

But, apologists here (and elsewhere) will rationalize that throwing gay folks off buildings or concentration camps for ethic minorities is okay if the MSM doesn’t call Iger to task.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:

Disney’s agenda for Progressive causes is obvious in its productions. I don’t think anyone, left or right would deny that.

For financial reasons, and for financial reasons only, Disney happily divests itself of honesty and integrity and self-censors its American-version movies removing the LGBT agenda (or whatever the current alphabet is this week) to reap the huge market dollars from repressive and/or totalitarian governments which buy the censored versions. Heck, governments with whom Disney’s in bed with enslave folks and execute gays. It ain’t a secret. It’s just ignored for profit.

But, apologists here (and elsewhere) will rationalize that throwing gay folks off buildings or concentration camps for ethic minorities is okay if the MSM doesn’t call Iger to task.

The hypocrisy of it all is, what my good friend the Judge says above is all true.

And very sadly, it also applies to the US government dealings worldwide! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

None of that, even if it's true, has anything to do with an American politician advancing his political ambitions by using his political power to abridge the First Amendment rights of an American company.

By the way, which government would it be that Disney is "in bed with" that enslaves folks and executes gays?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:

None of that, even if it's true, has anything to do with an American politician advancing his political ambitions by using his political power to abridge the First Amendment rights of an American company.

By the way, which government would it be that Disney is "in bed with" that enslaves folks and executes gays?

The whole sick woke agenda should be stopped in it tracks! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Living where I live, we get lots of Disney news. They are just across town.

Let me give you a few highlights:

1- Certain segments of their business are down considerably.

2- Certain segments of their business are losing money, a lot of money.

3- Disney just completed laying off about 7,000 people.

4-Disney's long-time deal to govern itself in central Florida came at a massive cost to the taxpayers in this state. Many taxpayers object to this sweetheart deal.

5- Disney pissed off a lot of people with their involvement with the so called "Don't Say Gay" bill. By the way, nothing in the bill says or implies to not say gay.

Having said that, I have no idea why Disney dropped this project. No reason has been publicized locally.

I object to weaponizing government no matter which side does it.

I have a basic rule in my businesses. Do not discuss politics, religion or social issues with clients. If one does, there is an element of the client base who will get pissed off no matter what one says. Perhaps Disney should adopt the same policy.

Posts: 11963 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Living where I live, we get lots of Disney news. They are just across town.

Let me give you a few highlights:

1- Certain segments of their business are down considerably.

2- Certain segments of their business are losing money, a lot of money.

3- Disney just completed laying off about 7,000 people.

4-Disney's long-time deal to govern itself in central Florida came at a massive cost to the taxpayers in this state. Many taxpayers object to this sweetheart deal.

5- Disney pissed off a lot of people with their involvement with the so called "Don't Say Gay" bill. By the way, nothing in the bill says or implies to not say gay.

Having said that, I have no idea why Disney dropped this project. No reason has been publicized locally.

I object to weaponizing government no matter which side does it.

I have a basic rule in my businesses. Do not discuss politics, religion or social issues with clients. If one does, there is an element of the client base who will get pissed off no matter what one says. Perhaps Disney should adopt the same policy.

I question that Disney's business is suffering because of it's public position on Meatball Ron's legislation but have no problem with it if that is correct.

If people don't want to go to Disney because Disney exercised their First Amendment right of free speech on a controversial subject, that is fine by me. However, having DeSantis use the power of his office to penalize Disney for exercising their First Amendment right to free speech is not OK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Disney is loosing money because it is primary an entertainment studio.

They over paid for Star Wars and folks rejected projects at the theater;

All of these entertainment companies (an exception was the WWE/pro wrestling) took it on the nose Covid and post;

I have no objection to gay characters and support inclusion of such Characters, but the films are just not good. This, no one is seeing/paying for them;

Disney appears to me to have over expanded with acquiring other media like ESPN, who then turns around and makes multi billion dollar deals for product tv rights;

Another example is Fox, Fox products, Hulu, and Disney Plus. I know Disney Plus was launched at a loss.

Until Disney can sell what we used to call film at a profit, they are in a bad way.

The Park issue is bad because the Parks generate the most revenue to offset the media.

https://www.investopedia.com/h...-makes-money-4799164

That was not the case in 2016 when Disney had went on buying media networks.

https://www.statista.com/stati...y-operating-segment/

However, it appears the demise is a bit overstated:

In early February 2022, Disney announced February financial results for the first quarter (Q1) of its 2022 fiscal year (FY), the three-month period ended Jan. 1, 2022. The company posted net income of $1.2 billion, up 64 times its net income in the year-ago quarter. Revenue rose 34.3% year over year (YOY) to $21.8 billion.
Disney uses operating income as the profit metric for its individual business segments. Segment operating income rose 144.6% to $3.3 billion in fiscal Q1.

Park Revenue appear up in 2023. See below;

https://www.statista.com/stati...ious%20fiscal%20year.

I too do not agree with giving these conglomerate or business exceptions from taxes the “little guy” has to pay. I disagree with Gov. Dr Santis attempts to silence Disney for engaging in public discourse which Disney has a right to do free of Government coercion.

I am Not an economist, nor do I claim to be.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote