Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another non-political post Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I watched some footage of the volcanic eruptions in Iceland.
It was so beautiful, I could watch it over and over.
Has anyone seen an eruption in person? Is it even more awesome?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Saw one about 10 years ago in Costa Rica when Mt. Arenal erupted for several months. It still regularly erupts and there are several nice lodges nearby where you can watch the lava flowing safely while enjoying a drink.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13144 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw more than one when I lived in Alaska. I didn't get to see the lava flow or spew, but the cloud of ash and stuff went into the stratosphere, as I recall. It created its own weather, lightning and all. A buddy of mine had a super cub and we were flying across Cook Inlet to go caribou hunting. At that time it looked like a mushroom cloud, but when it hit the jet stream it zerked 90 degrees. The commercial airlines had to divert to avoid catching the ash dust in the jet engines and the damage.

When I was in the Navy, we crossed the Panama Canal and on the trip north to California there were two active volcanos along the way, which we could see from offshore.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19674 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weat...33fb0546adfaba&ei=62

Iceland Volcano Erupts Near Grindavik After Weeks of Earthquakes
Story by Egill Bjarnason and Claire Moses •
20h

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19674 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watching that molten rock bubble and spout in the dark when the footage was taken was spectacular.
When I first started to learn how to use oxy/accet torches I used to melt rocks, thinking of lava.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I HEARD Mount St. Helens blow, but would love to SEE one.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I HEARD Mount St. Helens blow, but would love to SEE one.

Wow!

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was down range of Mount St. Helens and got to see the wall of ash coming. it was kind of unnerving to see a BIG black wall coming at you when you have no idea what it is. I sill have some ash from it at home in a jar.

Posts: 499 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I could see a red lava field like the Iceland photos as neat… I will pass on seeing a mount saint helens type eruption. Too much damage and risk of life for me.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could see this eruption from my farm and we got a lite layer of ash.

https://www.facebook.com/LKNZL...cu/2583464845010301/

Posts: 4239 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
You guys are nuts. Earth is supposed to be solid, our foundation, cornerstone.

Darned thing ain't supposed to burp or tremble. I've seen asphalt roll with waves from earthquakes. No gracias to that or fire bursting out of the ground.

Posts: 9091 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah when My partner moved to NZ permanently I took her to Taupo for a weekend. the first night we had two really good earthquakes.... Not the romantic kind.... and she said she didnt realise that was part of the deal of living here. I told her thats nothing, you are right now sleeping on top of the worlds most erratic super volcano and its something like 50 years over due to blow.

Posts: 4239 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote