Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horse just euthanized at pimlico on Preakness day Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I am sure Dr. Easter will be along to tell us there is nothing wrong with the industry.

https://www.espn.com/horse-rac...-racing?platform=amp

https://twitter.com/MarkWJZ/st...Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

8 died before the KY Derby was over and 5 scratched due to injuries.

Posts: 10963 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With an animal that will run itself to death and trying to get maximum performance out of them, I’m not surprised at deaths in horse racing.

If there was a good way to keep the PED’s out of any competition, I’m for it, it even human athletes play games with it and it’s all about expected clearance times and they do get caught periodically either by stupidity or by natural variation.

Are you expecting a money and prestige making endeavor to not do what they can to win?

The only way it will get lower is harsher penalties, widespread scorn for those getting caught, and getting money out of it.

It ain’t happening. See MLB. See NBA. See NFL. Hell, see amateur and college sports.

I’m seeing it In high school sports.

Why is horse racing so high on your totem pole?

Posts: 10666 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was Bob Bafert’s horse that was euthanized.

Hmmm.

Ben known drug cheats/user for life. Do kit allow them to transfer horses to other trainers to run.

Posts: 10963 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the invention of the internal combustion engine, the only real application for horses is for pet food and to feed Frenchmen who don’t know any better.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
Honestly, it just a fricking horse if you ask me
We the hunters kill animals with lot more horrific ways when we miss kill zones so anyone please spare me your pitty for horses as that is no different them animals slaughtered for meat

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with Kanec, that is unless the horse is being abused prior to being euthanized. I think most hunters believe in quick kills that minimize the suffering.

Posts: 8613 | Location: Oregon  | Registered: 03 June 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
Yes, believing in quick kills and taking chancy shots in hurry or too long of a shots as it became fashionable in todays age is two different stories
Anyway, maybe greenies and PETA will turn us into a veggie eaters one day if we let them

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With so much money involved, it's inevitable that there will be abuses, the animals are just the means to an end, Not confined to racing either, speaking as a horse owner.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1605 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
With so much money involved, it's inevitable that there will be abuses, the animals are just the means to an end, Not confined to racing either, speaking as a horse owner.

Grizz

Yep, reining and western pleasure, just to name a couple.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Athletes sustain injuries. Horses due to their size and general nature cannot tolerate the loss of one of their 4 limbs. Prosthetics which allow ambulation in people who must lose limbs to catastrophic injury are impractical or even maybe impossible for horses.

Horses only exist in first world countries due to non-essential wants and hobbies of people. Without these wants and hobbies…horses have no place.

Horses do sustain catastrophic injury in life at pasture…we see them commonly.

In this catastrophic injury at Pimlico…there is nothing to suggest anything nefarious led to its occurrence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
What about bull fights and American rodeos?