Find
Notify
Tools

Wayne LaPierre Finally Resigns Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Effective Jan 31.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Great!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good riddance. Is the NRA going to engage in structural changes to prevent another WLP situation? Is this meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I am sure WLP will enjoy a nice golden parachute.

Posts: 10913 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like it needs alot more than just him to go. Hopefully theres a full clean out and some people who want to rebuild put themselves forward

Posts: 4254 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I hope the door really clobbers him in the ass on the way out, the son of a bitch.
Start the cleaning by reducing the board to 10 or 12 who can be made accountable.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16409 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta give ol' Wayne credit, he's a Uniter.

Everybody hates his ass Cool

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He was a piece of shit from the get-go. Although as I remember he had plenty of defenders here.

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally!

When will this current nightmare end.

Posts: 1255 | Location: Florida | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madbaum:
Finally!

When the current NRA disbands and a new one emerges from the re-organization. Can some of his assets be frozen and clawed back?

Woulda been funny if the donation slip had a box to check asking if you want 150% of your donation to go to Wayne.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1209 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
About time, the man is corrupt to his core.

Posts: 7187 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nute:
About time, the man is corrupt to his core.

Trump needs to follow him! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66999 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
In full agreement Saeed. God spare us from men in seats of power who do not know right from wrong.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16409 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I wonder what kind of 'retirement' payment he has set up for himself. My fear is that the organization will continue to pay him off. But, I guess he will have to pay for his tailored suits now instead of the members. My hope is he loses his court case and gets some jail time.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The NY case is not a criminal trial, but a civil trial which just had one NRA executive settle 18 hours ago.

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/06...york-corruption-case

The problem is not so much WLP, but the entire structure of the NRA.

Posts: 10913 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
I wonder what kind of 'retirement' payment he has set up for himself.

I was thinking the same thing.

Excerpts from the NPR article linked above:

Former top NRA official admits wrongdoing in New York corruption case
JANUARY 6, 20242:01 PM ET

The settlement announcement from the New York state attorney general's office on Friday came the same day that NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre, 74, announced his resignation from the organization after more than three decades.

"Joshua Powell's admission of wrongdoing and Wayne LaPierre's resignation confirm what we have alleged for years: the NRA and its senior leaders are financially corrupt," New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement.

In her civil lawsuit, James has accused top NRA leaders of misusing more than $64 million in cash donated by gun owners.

Powell was head of operations and chief of staff to NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre, but in recent years he broke with the group, emerging as a critic of the pro-gun organization's fundraising tactics and publishing a tell-all book in 2020.

"The finances of the NRA are in shambles," Powell wrote, portraying the NRA as part of "the grifter culture of Conservative Inc."

In a 2020 interview with NPR, Powell said that under LaPierre's leadership, the NRA tried to radicalize gun owners in order to raise more money.

"The term 'pour gasoline on the fire' is from Wayne's lips to God's ears ... it's very easy to raise money off of fear," he said.

The NRA, meanwhile, has portrayed this lawsuit as a political effort by a Democratic state attorney general to weaken the once-powerful gun organization.

Those arguments were rejected during a lengthy appeals court process, which cleared the way for Monday's trial.

In a statement on Friday, the head of the Brady gun control advocacy organization, Kris Brown, issued a statement saying the "NRA is on the ropes" because of its legal troubles.

"Wayne LaPierre spent three decades peddling the big lie that more guns make us safer," she said in a statement.

==================================================

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/04...up-into-death-spiral

Former Top NRA Exec Says Greed, Corruption Pushed Gun Group Into 'Death Spiral'
SEPTEMBER 4, 20201:30 AM ET
HEARD ON ALL THINGS CONSIDERED

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19750 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...7eee0b53f94d73&ei=24

Trump tells Iowans to ‘get over’ school shooting at campaign event
Story by Michael Sainato • 1d

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19750 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://apnews.com/article/nra...06c86f186f403da83849

"LaPierre is accused of setting himself up with a $17 million contract with the NRA if he were to exit the organization, and spending NRA money on travel consultants, luxury car services, and private flights for himself and his family — including more than $500,000 on eight trips to the Bahamas over a three-year span."

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1209 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew $200'000 a year for his clothing allowance wasn't enough...how can these people be so fucking stupid !!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I was the first to say great.

WLP has definitely outstayed his usefulness and welcome.

That said…WLP has been at the helm in some form or fashion since the 70’s. He did a lot of good.

It always amazes me how quick people are to throw others out like yesterday’s trash…especially when they are responsible for us having the rights we have today.

I am thankful he is getting out of the way but also thankful for all he did. People are not perfect.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He did no good. His long time harm including Turing the NRA into an organization that lies about what the historical meaning of the Second Amendment was, his attacks on individual members of law enforcement, and this anti-government vitriol concerning no regulations at all is done more harm then good.

He has misused, misappropriated millions of dollars.

Before you start, the NRA tried to shut this trial down at the appellate courts. There arguments were rejected. They can appeal any new issues when it is over.

One of his inner circle who was named a co-defendant has already admitted financial malfeasance.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I was the first to say great.

WLP has definitely outstayed his usefulness and welcome.

That said…WLP has been at the helm in some form or fashion since the 70’s. He did a lot of good.

It always amazes me how quick people are to throw others out like yesterday’s trash…especially when they are responsible for us having the rights we have today.

I am thankful he is getting out of the way but also thankful for all he did. People are not perfect.

No doubt you agree that, "outlasting usefulness and welcome" can generate hard feelings.

I have a friend that is a local CEO and I discuss with them their "tenure", they don't like the conversation very much. They believe their zealous dedication to the entity is important and I think there'll be a lot of hard feelings when their board of directors ask them to go.

It's unfortunate Wayne and his board didn't recognize the end of Wayne's tenure. That donations and membership is in decline should be an obvious indicator. I stopped giving to the NRA maybe as much as ten years ago.

Posts: 9121 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am glad he is out.

He was a part of the leadership of the NRA since I was like 10 years old. In that time span…the likes of Mike Jines and Larry Shores touted them as the org other should mirror as to effectiveness. WLP was the leader in that error as well.

Anyone who denies they did “us” a lot of favors while WLP was in leadership…is just not a serious person.

He overstayed his usefulness and welcome…which is too bad.

I wish he would have left sooner and caused less harm…but he is gone now.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The man is a symbol. The institutional culture that allowed the man and his allocates has to be removed.

The NRA did not bring, fund, or have anything to do with Heller.

No, I am fine being is strong disagreement with you on this.

Others can speak for themselves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He overstayed his usefulness and welcome…which is too bad.

I wish he would have left sooner and caused less harm…but he is gone now.

That happens a lot with Rightists nowadays. Who is responsible for that?

XXX

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What happened to the Russian financing of the NRA?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Wayne is a good man
He retired and that is it
All the liberals piled up on NRA over the years just for the fact that NRA stays in their way of continuously restricting us the gun owners so they are again continuously looking for ways to take them to court and destroy The NRA is their primary and the only goal
2nd is all about The people defending themselves against enemy in and out against criminals and against government as it has to fear people to stay in its place
History is such a simple lesson…

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . interesting concept of "good". Helps explain how Trump is "good".

Mike

Posts: 21234 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
. . . interesting concept of "good". Helps explain how Trump is "good".

He did do quite a bit good along the way. You yourself have touted the NRA effectiveness while he was at the helm.

Yes…it is a good thing he is now gone. Yes…he ended his tenure badly. I for one wish the NRA well…it helps and/or has helped everyone on this forum. I don’t wish bad things on WLP personally.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
The man is a symbol. The institutional culture that allowed the man and his allocates has to be removed.

The NRA did not bring, fund, or have anything to do with Heller.

No, I am fine being is strong disagreement with you on this.

Others can speak for themselves.

You are in disagreement some folks who work in the trenches regularly for our gun and hunting rights.

See the thread in African Big Game Hunting.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in agreement with more than you are. I will let other members speak for themselves.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wayne's World. rotflmo

NEW YORK, Jan 8 (Reuters) - Wayne LaPierre ran the National Rifle Association (NRA) as "Wayne's World" for decades, a lawyer for New York state said at the start of the gun rights group's corruption trial, three days after LaPierre suddenly resigned as chief executive.

New York Attorney General Letitia James had sued the NRA and its longtime leader in August 2020, saying the group diverted millions of dollars to fund luxuries for top officials, including travel expenses for LaPierre to several resorts.

Advertisement · Scroll to continue
In her opening statement, state lawyer Monica Connell told the six jurors and six alternates that NRA officials failed to obtain board approval for conflicts of interest and insider transactions, arranged no-show contracts for associates, and retaliated against whistleblowers who suspected wrongdoing.

"The NRA allowed Wayne LaPierre and his group of insiders ... to operate the NRA as 'Wayne's World' for decades," said Connell, alluding to the 1992 movie starring Mike Myers and Dana Carvey. "Wayne LaPierre and his friends effectively suppressed the voice of anyone who challenged his leadership."

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I am in agreement with more than you are. I will let other members speak for themselves.

I will take quality over quantity. The two in general agreement with me in the African Big Game Hunting thread sit on multiple conservation org boards. I sit on a board with one of them and know the other well. They both do a lot in the political arena protecting our rights to have firearms and to hunt.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Im glad he is out maybe the NRA will get back to the basics for the people. I have not been a member in years because of the lavish spending that took place.
Ill be watching to see if it turns around before I become a member again.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote