Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T55s heading too the front. Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that right now there is broad support among the developed world for Ukraine, and frankly, given Saeed’s dislike of military adventurism I’m surprised he’s not in support of the sanctions as it provides a pathway to stop others (providing you can convince a bunch of others to support you) on this situation.

I still feel Ukraine should feel some urgency here as none of the first world nations have shown much long term willingness to sacrifice even marginal money long term to others.

Most of NATO forgot their own agreements on defense spending even through it was internal…

I’m not saying next week, next month, or even next year… but 3-5 years from now, if an economic concern arises, Ukraine support will be on the chopping block.

This long term view is one area that nondemocratic nations have an advantage- they can successfully control long term plans.

quote:
Originally posted by shankspony:
I beleive the micro chip situation might be divesting China of some of that certainty.

Some more disappeared when the west companies by and large pulled out of russia.. But yes Lane your point is fair. I just dont think it will be that black and white. Ending trade with the west is equivalent too a Nuclear option for them. In that it will do them more harm long term than it will the west.

Scott, this one slightly different. Its not US boots on the ground, and I think I can show from past posts, that its also not the US going it alone. Ukraine has pretty major support across the board from first world nations. Its not an entanglement as the others were.

Posts: 10646 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I agree. This needs too end in 1 year too 18 months. For many reasons.
There is though some good stuff coming from the reaction too russian aggression.

https://www.janes.com/defence-...ne-combat-air-power/

this will create an airforce of roughly 250 fighters. Plus other aviation elements and give access too a number of bases over a broad area.
it also somewhat gets past the turkish blockade of swedish entry into NATO.
Yes europe is lagging on defence spending, but all this is a sign they recognise they have to pick up the pace.

Posts: 4256 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we are looking for a good reason to stop russia gaining any more ground- todays announcement from Putin that they are deploying Nukes too Belarus is a reasonable example.

Posts: 4256 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just watched this clip of a chinese representative explaining thier position. It makes quite a bit of sense and I have to largely agree with much of what he says re Chinas position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHOvEE1Y230

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t know that an ex PLA colonel is making any official statements.

I agree from a point of view his statements are logical…

But trying to declare all of the East China Sea as being Chinese territory (right up to the Philippines and a Vietnam) wasn’t explained in this situation and his downplaying Chinese stated position of one China and potential forced return of Taiwan…

Look at Hong Kong and Shanghai… how well were independent self government promises kept?

This ex officer is making statements that are probably more what his audience wants to hear than real PRC positions. He’s not an official anymore.

His positions are logical and somewhat consistent with what has happened.

I will say his thorough command of English and his Brit accent are impressive.

Posts: 10646 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes of course. You must use your own knowledge of the wider picture too determine what you beleive.
It is significant though that he is part of a delegation too this event and he would not make a statement that did not align with the party.
But irrespective of any of that. what he said was not far off of what many in the west could concur with as personnel views, even if thats all they are.