Picture of jeffeosso
posted
https://variety.com/2023/film/...rns-fans-1235741781/

Tom Hanks warns dental plan hawker isn't him

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38503 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks.

I see some stuff that is suspect often.

If it's suspect, I don't post the link.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19765 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And this is why it is more and more difficult to be certain of anything you see. We are approaching the time when there is no reality beyond first person observation. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mr. Leeper is correct. The entire Republican Party -- all of it -- has entered the zone of no reality already.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16415 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
And this is why it is more and more difficult to be certain of anything you see. We are approaching the time when there is no reality beyond first person observation. Regards, Bill.

It is more difficult, lately, to sort out reality, with the buzz all around intensifying and sources are suspicious. Then "a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest". Paul Simon.

I have had several conversations with different people who I consider far-right. There were several take-aways from that, but one was that they all had given up on "reality beyond first person observation".

We all know that there's a personal filter used in the sorting out reality process. It is my opinion that in large part the problems and vulnerabilities and consequences we see coming from the Right is associated with this closed loop or echo chamber or distrust of info outside the group-think or outside personal experience, observation, always-already-belief.

I think it is very important, maybe essential, to not give up on reality "beyond first person observation". Otherwise, the lazy way becomes nothing more than bias confirmation/affirmation, or rejected, with practically nothing in-between.

Don't let the FOG win.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19765 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I decided to present/consult some information outside my knowledge - Appeal to Authority. Big Grin I hope you don't object. I looked for recent info.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-66267961

23 July, 2023

Intel's deepfake detector tested on real and fake videos

https://youtu.be/aPTnq_1hWDE?si=rLzrGTiSFaWWCj_p

Inside the system using blood flow to detect deepfake video – BBC News

2 months ago

(There's a lot more)

XXX

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am absolutely certain that some, perhaps a lot, of the videos we see of Joe Biden, saying or doing stupid stuff, are deep fakes. These are generally seen only on the right wing wackadoodle sites, which is the first clue. I find this incredibly sad because it is not necessary, and it is insulting to the intelligence of supporters of both sides. When some site shows a verifiable fake, that site loses all credibility forever. On the other hand, when evidence is declared fake when it is verifiably not, that also destroys all credibility. This is why I say we are reaching the point where only first person observation is at all reliable. If Joe Biden is demonstrably incompetent (and he probably is), the use of deep fake technology only makes it possible to wave it off. Supporters need only say, "That's a fake". Donald Trump is already using the technique (of declaring anything which showcases his failings, a fake) and has been doing so for years. His followers eat it up. Don't think for a minute that Democrats have not caught on to it as well.
We do indeed live in troubling times. Regards, Bill
We have all seen reports skewed by gun control advocates. Reports using misinformation or omission to support their stance. We are seeing the same thing by all sources nowadays.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
I am absolutely certain that some, perhaps a lot, of the videos we see of Joe Biden, saying or doing stupid stuff, are deep fakes. These are generally seen only on the right wing wackadoodle sites, which is the first clue. I find this incredibly sad because it is not necessary, and it is insulting to the intelligence of supporters of both sides. When some site shows a verifiable fake, that site loses all credibility forever. On the other hand, when evidence is declared fake when it is verifiably not, that also destroys all credibility. This is why I say we are reaching the point where only first person observation is at all reliable. If Joe Biden is demonstrably incompetent (and he probably is), the use of deep fake technology only makes it possible to wave it off. Supporters need only say, "That's a fake". Donald Trump is already using the technique (of declaring anything which showcases his failings, a fake) and has been doing so for years. His followers eat it up. Don't think for a minute that Democrats have not caught on to it as well.
We do indeed live in troubling times. Regards, Bill
We have all seen reports skewed by gun control advocates. Reports using misinformation or omission to support their stance. We are seeing the same thing by all sources nowadays.

First impressions carry a lot of weight which is likely why they do it.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1209 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The terms and existence of "Fake News" or Phony News has been around a long time.

People deal with it, and it's not going away.

I searched for good information on the topics and found several sources. Yet again Wikipedia seems to offer the best and more thorough. Ironically, they call it "information disorder".

There are several sections within the long article. I'll start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._news#Special_topics

(scroll down to see the section on Trump's misuse of the term)

Trump used the term inversely from its original meaning. Credible or accurate news is what he deemed fake. It's the effect he had on spreading distrust, doubt, discontent, bewilderment, division, polarization.

There's another section with good info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._news#Identification

Some tools for identification. Ironically, one suggestion is to Appeal to Authority - or ask experts. Smiler

The rest of the article is good, IMO - just long.

One other key comment in the article under types of fake news, is:

Scientific denialism is another potential explanatory type of fake news, defined as the act of producing false or misleading facts to unconsciously support strong pre-existing beliefs.[51]

XXX