THE ACCURATE RELOADING POLITICAL CRATER

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  The Political Forum    Larry Hogan will not seek GOP Nomination for President

Moderators: DRG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Larry Hogan will not seek GOP Nomination for President Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
This is very bad. The bad is not that Hogan is not running. The bad is someone like Hogan does not believe they can get the nomination.

I would have voted for him.

This is the kind of person who can win the General for the GOP.

He not pursuing the Candidacy tells me we are not going to accept someone who can actually win. Unless, you are hoping the train comes all the way off the rails, so a President Trump like person can get over.

https://apple.news/A10Lpwq4fSsGoTF8n1Ohqew

Posts: 10904 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A spot on assessment of the situation.

Trump or one of his mini-me's is just not an option for me. Let me have the choice of a reasonable Republican VS the Democrats and the R's win every time. Whack jobs, conspiracy theorists and those who have attempted to disrupt the peaceful transfer of power....not so much.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Never heard of him……

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Never heard of him……

A fine man, understands the value of compromise, not an extremists, highly successful in business and as a politician. NOT what the GOP is looking for these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Hogan

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Never heard of him……

The recent GOP Governor of Maryland.

A Republican Governor of Maryland.

Posts: 10904 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
If he is the kind of man Joshua and Steve put him up to be…he would NOT step aside. Only losers give up because the path looks difficult.

Nobody ever accomplished anything sitting on the sidelines.

Just saying…if “he” believed he was the answer…he would find a lane.

Not knocking the fellow…I am sure he is a fine man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36630 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you see CPAC?

The Party has been taken over by our brand of nuts.

There is no lane to find.

He will not compromise his principles and try to put piss a skunk for a nomination. I agree with that attitude.

President Trump is the single skunk, but the real skunk is GOP Primary voters.

Hogan’s assessment is spot on:

"Right now, you have Trump and DeSantis at the top of the field, soaking up all the oxygen, getting all the attention, and then a whole lot of the rest of us in single digits," Hogan said in an interview with CBS News that aired Sunday on "Face the Nation."

A bunch of people in the race that cannot win only makes it easier for President Trump.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Sure can’t win if it you don’t try.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36630 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Sure can’t win if it you don’t try.

I’d second that in all walks of life

If you give up before you try, don’t tell and don’t whine

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Right now,you have Trump and DeSantis at the top of the field, soaking up all the oxygen,
getting all the attention,and then a whole lot of the rest of us in single digits ,"
Hogan said in an interview with CBS News that aired Sunday on "Face the Nation."

Sounds as though he analyzed the risk/reward
and decided the reward was simply nonexistent.

In my long life,
I have had the oportunuity to advise two individuals from here in Texas early in their campaigns,
as to their respective prospects of winning their run for POTUS.

I advised both they could not win.
(BTW, neither did)

IF,
your inner circle advises you not to run,
there is most often, valid reasoning behind such advice.

It appears he received sound advice.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:
"Right now,you have Trump and DeSantis at the top of the field, soaking up all the oxygen,
getting all the attention,and then a whole lot of the rest of us in single digits ,"
Hogan said in an interview with CBS News that aired Sunday on "Face the Nation."

In my long life,
I have had the oportunuity to advise two individuals from here in Texas early in their campaigns,

(BTW, neither did)

IF,

This. And, even if he did win....why anybody would want the job in this day and times is a mystery to me.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15105 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CPAC is dominated by the last presidents people.

It is going to be pro Trump.

The general polling is different.

If Mr. Hogan doesn’t even try, he can’t win.

That being said, I didn’t recognize his name and like most here I would suspect I’m a bit better informed than the average voter… so that means he would be behind the curve in generating name recognition.

I’m sure there are lots of folks who would be better candidates than Trump, Pence, Biden or Harris. Getting recognized and the support needed to run a national campaign is difficult. Generally, being a governor in a large state or a senior senator helps quite a bit. The GOP has had some folks from outside that mould, Trump being one.

The GOP needs to be worried about the general and not so much the primaries, where candidates with significant flaws but strong subgroup support can win.

I would tend to think that getting someone like Lane or JTex to support a moderate GOP candidate in the general would not be hard. Getting them to support a moderate in the primary would be. Conversely, getting the majority of the electorate to support a moderate when the other side is running an extremist is easy in the general, but getting them to show up at a primary is all but impossible.

The folks who show up to vote at primaries tend to be more extremist than the general election voters. For both parties.

The democrats had a bit of a fix in that the party insiders have more control than the primary voters. That got them HRC and Trump in office because they alienated their base, and Hillary was seen as being extremist (although compared to Sanders, she really wasn’t.)

The system has some serious flaws… reconciling democracy with the need to put a better candidate forward.

Posts: 10633 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:

In my long life,

(BTW, neither did)

IF,

This. And, even if he did win....why anybody would want the job in this day and times is a mystery to me.

Agree with that. Even if you do win, what have you won? You’ll be crucified by half the country, no matter what you do.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Once it gets to a convention, things might change.
A deadlock could enable a dark horse.
Or there could be a wave of sanity...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hogan left the Maryland Governor’s Office with a 70 percent approval rating.

Keep picking people like Walker in GA and President Trump. The policies those guys represent are such winners.

You have lost 3 elections in a row. The last one you have no excuse.

GA harvested ballots that beat Rs in the Senate, but somehow won the Governor.

Political Critical Thinkers abound.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Maryland is a tiny state and by no way reflects the feelings of the country as a whole.

But I welcome Mr. Hogan! I would love to hear his platform.

If he believes he is the way forward…he would keep going. Obviously he doesn’t have faith in himself.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maryland is a very blue state with a large population and large population center being Baltimore.

You would reject Hogan for a Trump like person because your policies line up with the fake policies of the Walkers and President Trumps of the world.

Maryland is a very populated state with 10 EC votes. It is not tiny, and a R has not won it since 1988.

You look foolish calling Maryland tiny.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Maryland is a very blue state with a large population and large population center being Baltimore.

You would reject Hogan for a Trump like person because your policies line up with the fake policies of the Walkers and President Trumps of the world.

Maryland is a very populated state with 10 EC votes (out of 538). It is not tiny, and a R has not won it since 1988.

You look foolish calling Maryland tiny.

When you call me foolish I take it as a compliment.

quote:
Maryland is the 8th smallest state by land area, but with a population of over 6,177,200, it ranks as the 18th (out of 50 Wink) most populous state and the 5th most densely populated.

Basically Maryland is Baltimore.

Like I said…I would love to hear what he says.

Obviously, he doesn’t believe he is the way forward or doesn’t care enough to try.

I never hit a home run sitting in a dugout.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And let us not forget Virginia.

Glad you recognize the major population center. A large, urban city that could not stop Hogan from getting elected and being popular. You know how, by not being a Right Wing Culture Warrior. A not Libertarian who wants control out sex with consenting adults and who we marry is foolish.

It is as big as Arizona and North Carolina.

It is not Tiny.

You made my point the man as a R has a 70 percent approval as Governor in Maryland with Baltimore. That is the kind of man that can win a General Election.

You know how your Faction lost the last 3.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
You made my point the man as a R has a 70 percent approval as Governor in Maryland with Baltimore. That is the kind of man that can win a General Election.

Policy??? All that matters to me. Let’s hear it.

If it is the same as the Democrats…why would I want him.

I don’t want an (R) for the sake of having an (R).

Policy! Let’s hear it. If good…he has my vote. Convince me!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Basically Maryland is Baltimore.——-

Policy???
All that matters to me. Let’s hear it.

If it is the same as the Democrats…why would I want him.

I don’t want an (R) for the sake of having an (R).

Policy! Let’s hear it. If good…he has my vote. Convince me!

Yep

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember listening to an interview with Mr. Hogan several years ago and thinking he was way to moderate/weak for me to support him. I doubt he could win a primary vote here in NC. I don't think he is a strong supporter of the second amendment. I vote based on policy.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
he was way to moderate/weak for me to support him.

The problem with American politics surmised in a dozen or so words.

The extremes have taken over.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
quote:
he was way to moderate/weak for me to support him.

The problem with American politics surmised in a dozen or so words.

The extremes have taken over.

Proves the point. This, this person insures more Dems will be elected by being the R version of Elat they claim to hate about the Left.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have no clue who I am.

The extremist's are on the left.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have no clue who I am.

The extremist's are on the left.

You with your own words have revealed your politics.

It is your position. You can have it, but it had cost elections.