New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mass shooting in Maine Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
22 dead over 50 injured lone gunman still at large.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very odd thing to happen in Maine.
I bet they will find a good deal of red flags that were not acted on before they get done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An Army Reservist who was committed to a mental health facility for two weeks this Summer.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
...at least it wasn't another school, a bowling alley and a bar apparently.

Posts: 7187 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Followed Trump, Steve Bannon and Dinesh D'Souza online.

A MAGAt.

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
A very odd thing to happen in Maine.
I bet they will find a good deal of red flags that were not acted on before they get done.

Maybe a transplant? No one I've met in Maine seemed strange like that.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Guys if we have learned anything it is that violence is everywhere and nowhere all at once. His vehicle was found nearby at a boat launch on the Androscoggin river. My theory is he went into the river. They will find him this weekend when he floats or else he is fetched up in debris and they will find him next spring.

More questions than answers at this point. Maine is up there with the most firearms per capita in the country and yet one of the lowest rate of firearms violence so this is an odd, tragic case.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
Guys if we have learned anything it is that violence is everywhere and nowhere all at once. His vehicle was found nearby at a boat launch on the Androscoggin river. My theory is he went into the river. They will find him this weekend when he floats or else he is fetched up in debris and they will find him next spring.

More questions than answers at this point. Maine is up there with the most firearms per capita in the country and yet one of the lowest rate of firearms violence so this is an odd, tragic case.

Strange there wasn't a single "good guy with a gun" handy...

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
You don't know there wasn't. Maybe such person was one of the ones killed. Sounds like it all happened quite suddenly as the police are reporting about 8 minutes after the first 911 call came in they got the second one from another location 4 miles away. I say it was quick get in and get out.

Maybe we can all rally around this rather than pithy commentary this morning, huh?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't know there wasn't. Maybe such person was one of the ones killed. Sounds like it all happened quite suddenly as the police are reporting about 8 minutes after the first 911 call came in they got the second one from another location 4 miles away. I say it was quick get in and get out.

Maybe we can all rally around this rather than pithy commentary this morning, huh?

I am reliably informed that truckloads of thoughts and prayers have been dispatched, since that's all Republicans will allow.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Your class is showing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your class is showing.

Have you any idea how little your opinion of me matters?

Must I spell it out?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My nephew is going to college there.

He still is sheltering in place in his dorm room.

Apparently spent the night in his closet.

And yes, I’m sure lots of issues were missed that could have prevented this event.

Posts: 10635 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:
Your class is showing.

Have you any idea how little your opinion of me matters?

Must I spell it out?

Listen Boy Scout lover just shut your yap today ok?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I am reliably informed that truckloads of thoughts and prayers have been dispatched, since that's all Republicans will allow.

What is the liberals answer?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The FBI admits there data is incomplete.
But depending on the years involved in the investigation.... It looks like 33 to 40% of active shootings are stopped by a good guy with a gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rabbithabit:
quote:
quote:

What is the liberals answer?

MY answer would be to ban centerfire detachable magazines over 6 rounds. People who still think their AR makes their dick bigger could keep them but if you want to carry 100 rounds into a mall you have to carry 17 magazines and every six rounds somebody gets a chance to brain you with a flower pot.

If you have a problem you can't solve with 6 that next 14 or 24 are just noise makers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would just make centerfire, button detach magazine feed semi autos and magazines over 10 rounds subject to the NFA for purposes of transfers going forward.

I would not permit transfer into 18 year olds of either.

Posts: 10911 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course, you realize this is impossible?

Magazines have never been serialized and there are so many of them out there it would be impossible to do so?

DBM’s are designed at the military level to be disposable objects.

With the proliferation of inexpensive machining equipment of ever increasing precision, the ability to police new manufacturing is going to be decreased.

I think that barring agreement with complete disarmament, the only real answer is increased efficiency in law enforcement and universal accountability for bad behavior.

The guy who shoots people illegally has almost universally been found to have had numerous encounters with the legal and or mental health system, and not been appropriately addressed.

quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I would just make centerfire, button detach magazine feed semi autos and magazines over 10 rounds subject to the NFA for purposes of transfers going forward.

I would not permit transfer into 18 year olds of either.

Posts: 10635 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is why I said going toward. Add them, and manufactures will have to serialize them. Give a date certain that all non-sterilized maga must be pulled from the shelves.

Congress could do it. The Supreme Court has ruled on the NFA twice.

Posts: 10911 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Law prevents people from doing anything, it only punishes them for violations.

Make the penalties bite and those who care to follow the Law will do so, the rest can forfeit the right to own firearms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No Law prevents people from doing anything, it only punishes them for violations.

Make the penalties bite and those who care to follow the Law will do so, the rest can forfeit the right to own firearms.

Beheadings in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere doesn't seem to deter criminal activity.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1208 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Except criminals.
They seem to be exempt to the gun laws they break while committing a crime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While they could pass said law, there are millions of them around, and more are made every day in other countries.

The background number being huge, you would never be able to prosecute possession and as it’s something so incredibly easy to make, it would be impossible to police manufacture except in wholesale lots for sales.

We can’t stop illegal auto sears and they claim those are a huge issue (Glock switches)… for something so widespread and damaging and fatal, I sure don’t see many prosecutions for illegal machine gun possession.

Enforce the laws we have now, with none of these exceptions that the prosecutors love so much. Utilize the current laws and restrictions we already have in law.

If we enforced the current laws as written, without all these lapses, and we still had issues, I could buy that more laws might be needed.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ANTELOPEDUNDEE:
quote:

Beheadings in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere doesn't seem to deter criminal activity.

they do tend to prevent recidivism

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38498 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

But it sure reduces recidivism.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
quote:

they do tend to prevent recidivism

Well, dip me in horseshit and call me a popsicle, we agreed on something.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The guy who shoots people illegally has almost universally been found to have had numerous encounters with the legal and or mental health system, and not been appropriately addressed.

Recidivism???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36635 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But depending on the years involved in the investigation.... It looks like 33 to 40% of active shootings are stopped by a good guy with a gun.

I've never seen any reliable statistic that supports that assertion.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15106 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:

I've never seen any reliable statistic that supports that assertion.

I was going to say "but the NRA..." then I realized that they certainly aren't the MOST reliable -

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38498 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Suspect found dead.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There have been a number of investigations into the data MM. One was a Texas university study also.
That was why the FBI admitted their data was flawed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The data was for all active shootings, or shots fired, not just mass shootings I should add.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know we had so many communist's on the board.

Why else would you want to give the government that kind of power.

Have you forgot the people killed in mass vehicle attacks.

Using your logic we show out law vehicles over a certain size.

quote:
would just make centerfire, button detach magazine feed semi autos and magazines over 10 rounds subject to the NFA for purposes of transfers going forward.

quote:
MY answer would be to ban centerfire detachable magazines over 6 rounds. People who still think their AR makes their dick bigger could keep them but if you want to carry 100 rounds into a mall you have to carry 17 magazines and every six rounds somebody gets a chance to brain you with a flower pot.

If you have a problem you can't solve with 6 that next 14 or 24 are just noise makers

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, this is not good...

quote:
Police across Maine were alerted just last month to “veiled threats” by the U.S. Army reservist who would go on to carry out the worst mass shooting in the state’s history, one of a string of missed red flags that preceded the massacre.

Two local law enforcement chiefs told The Associated Press that a statewide awareness alert was sent in mid-September to be on the lookout for Robert Card after the firearms instructor made threats against his base and fellow soldiers. But after stepped-up patrols of the base and a visit to Card’s home – neither of which turned up any sign of him – they moved on.

Link

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Police across Maine were alerted just last month to “veiled threats” by the U.S. Army reservist who would go on to carry out the worst mass shooting in the state’s history, one of a string of missed red flags that preceded the massacre.

Two local law enforcement chiefs told The Associated Press that a statewide awareness alert was sent in mid-September to be on the lookout for Robert Card after the firearms instructor made threats against his base and fellow soldiers. But after stepped-up patrols of the base and a visit to Card’s home – neither of which turned up any sign of him – they moved on.

Link

quote:
We couldn’t locate him,” Merry said, adding that he couldn’t recall if there was any follow-up because “I don’t have any reports in front of me.”

They stopped by his house, he wasn't home.....so they just bagged it?????

Now deposits want my guns? Because law enforcement screwed the pooch?

They don't prosecute gun crimes as it is......but they want to take my legally owned and legally used firearms???? And you lefties are good with that? Really?

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

quote:

Link

quote:
We couldn’t locate him,” Merry said, adding that he couldn’t recall if there was any follow-up because “I don’t have any reports in front of me.”

They stopped by his house, he wasn't home.....so they just bagged it?????

Now deposits want my guns? Because law enforcement screwed the pooch?

They don't prosecute gun crimes as it is......but they want to take my legally owned and legally used firearms???? And you lefties are good with that? Really?

I don't want the government to ever take anybody's legally owned and legally used firearms.

I want them to change what firearms (or accessories) can be legally owned.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Same thing to the millions already legally owned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36635 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How was he to be found or prevented to legal purchase the firearm?

He purchased these firearms legally. The 6th Circuit right bf Bruen using the same analytical framework used in Bruen held the GCA of 1968 preventing those involuntary committed from possessing arms unconstitutional.

This guy was voluntarily committed. This, under current Fed law in Maine’s Federal Circuit was permitted to be transferred firearms and possess firearms.

Red Flag law would have brought him bf a local judge to bar his possession.

A Fed law preventing those voluntarily committed from possession or transfer would have stopped him from accessing this firearm used in this mass murder.

Not for nothing, the basic fact pattern of the 6th Cir., case is pending bf S. Ct.

Every other Fed Circuit using the now wrong analytical framework held involuntarily commitment being permanent bar was Constitutional. However, Bruen makes how they reached that conclusion wrong. The how is just as important when dealing with judicial review of laws/statutes.

The 6th Cir case is United States v Taylor, 600 F. 3d 678 (6th Cir., 2019). If you or anyone else want to read it.

The 6th Cir., anticipated the analytical frame work the S. Ct., adopted in Bruen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Same thing to the millions already legally owned.

That's why I would ban magazines, not firearms. Requiring a one-to-one exchange would not be an unconstitutional "taking" and would not implicate anyone's right to bear arms.

Banning the manufacture, importation, sale or transfer of an entire class of weapons could be debated after magazine capacity was addressed.