One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted

Mike

Posts: 21359 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. Self-inflicted too. Dumb.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15282 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have some pity on her, she was trying her best to rouse the rabble with the dog shooting and polish her lying skills with the Kim ‘stare down’.

You can’t be a truly successful politician without bringing your lying “A” game to the podium. She just needs a bit more practice, is all. She has a pretty nice ass, and that’ll usually draw a lot of votes from the knuckle draggers. Remember Sarah Palin? Half of the AR political forum was drooling on their keyboards. Big Grin

Posts: 5753 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She lost me when she had her lips injected. For a while she couldn't even speak right. Vanity and bad choices go hand in hand. Bill

Posts: 3562 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Vanity and bad choices go hand in hand. Bill

Vanity and bad choices is why a pay alot in alimony.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
She is too stupid to realize that she exposed a well known but not talked about truth. Dogs raised for birds, bears, cats, military service, show, or any other purpose are killed if they cannot do the job and nobody wants them. It happens all the time. It will no doubt happen today somewhere.

I don't know why we American people vote for Biden, Trump, RFK or this one. Clearly we should not have a vote, since we cannot use it responsibly. Maybe go with a national lottery for president.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no reason to kill a pup bc it is not making the grade as a hunting dog.

Posts: 11266 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
She is too stupid to realize that she exposed a well known but not talked about truth. Dogs raised for birds, bears, cats, military service, show, or any other purpose are killed if they cannot do the job and nobody wants them. It happens all the time. It will no doubt happen today somewhere.

I don't know why we American people vote for Biden, Trump, RFK or this one. Clearly we should not have a vote, since we cannot use it responsibly. Maybe go with a national lottery for president.

Not a lottery, a draft. Drag an unwilling but competent citizen to the altar and make him an offer he can't refuse. Maybe Rex Tillersen?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14417 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Navaluk:

I don't know why we American people vote for Biden, Trump, RFK or this one. Clearly we should not have a vote, since we cannot use it responsibly. Maybe go with a national lottery for president.[/QUOTE
According to her it wasn't just that the dog didn't make the grade but was also a chicken killer. If true, it needed to be killed. Stock killing dogs need to be dealt with. Talking about it publicly shows a big lack of common sense. To bastardize Miranda "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of public opinion."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for a thread to post the link to this short video.

I didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm very fond of dogs. I've always thought they have emotions of some sort, maybe not the range of humans but still.

Here's an example:

https://youtube.com/shorts/O0q...?si=mYEyhIb8CbuMCdK1

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

Posts: 19983 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone remind her of the old axiom that in order to be able to train a dog you have to know more than the dog does.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1282 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid there are very few non-kill shelters out there. Even if you take a dog to a shelter, it has high odds of being put down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Governor could have rehomed the dog.

This is not some stray picked up on a back road.

There was no need to kill the dog because it did not meet the grade as a hunting dog.

I was looking at setter kernels last night offering pups to full trained/finished dogs. The disclaimer we refuse sell after review of application flagged to me for the Governor.

Posts: 11266 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hmm no mention of the dog killing chickens or it's other transgressions, but she sure got worked over.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have skews mentioned it in other threads.

Sorry, a dog training to hunt wild chickens (pheasants) that confused a chicken for a pheasant does not overly move me.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Maybe when she met with Kim Jong-un they discussed putting down dogs and compared recipes.

Roll Eyes

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite dogs (Beagle Bailley) was a confirmed chicken killer. Not all the time, but if she decided a chicken didn't deserve to live, she made sure it didn't. This may have stemmed from a traumatic event when she was a pup. She was flogged pretty badly by a bantam rooster. When she grew up, she decided to get even, I guess. She also killed cats if they offended her in some way. She tried to balance it out by killing packrats and muskrats. I liked the beagle more than the chickens, and she left our leghorns alone. The companionship and entertainment I got from Beagle Bailley was worth a few chickens.
Donald Trump would simply say he made the story up to gauge the reaction of the readers. His followers would buy that with no questions and would shout down any opposition. Normally, I would advise politicians, don't lie and don't say stupid stuff. Given Trump's success though, that just doesn't apply. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3562 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad grew up a farmer. They would shoot chicken-killing dogs.

Posts: 6285 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Maybe when she met with Kim Jong-un they discussed putting down dogs and compared recipes.

Roll Eyes

50 ways to wok your dog?

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1282 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
My dad grew up a farmer. They would shoot chicken-killing dogs.

I would shoot a chicken killing dog that I had not trained or was training to chase wild chickens. If the matter was not correct label in 2024 as a Governor, I sail not be convicted the gods could not be revoked to where the behavior was a non-issue w equitable consideration made to the chicken owner.

I would not gloat, consider it as a bade of my conservative street credentials, nor do so wo regard.

Neither would my adopted father.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the matter was not correct label in 2024 as a Governor, I sail not be convicted the gods could not be revoked to where the behavior was a non-issue w equitable consideration made to the chicken owner.

I read that sentence half a dozen times and still can't figure out what it means. Why don't you proofread before you submit?

Posts: 6285 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Amen! His word salads are simply indecipherable and he is incapable of proofreading. What a lawyer…… Confused 2020

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13217 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot dogs chasing my livestock multiple times. This after, giving the owners warning to keep their pets to home. Deer chasing dogs are shot by anyone seeing them. Bear and coon hunters shoot their very expensive dogs, who dont stay on the animal they are trained for.
Sure, some people get their feelings hurt over it, but it is all part of rural life for us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
I have shot dogs chasing my livestock multiple times. This after, giving the owners warning to keep their pets to home. Deer chasing dogs are shot by anyone seeing them. Bear and coon hunters shoot their very expensive dogs, who dont stay on the animal they are trained for.
Sure, some people get their feelings hurt over it, but it is all part of rural life for us.

Well said, some people don't get it.

Posts: 332 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a dog person, I will always try to give warning to owners who let their dogs stray off. I am also realistic, and know I sometimes have to destroy a dog/dogs. I dont feel good about it, but it has to be done.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Strike One: Shooting a puppy
Strike Two: Lying about ever meeting with Kim Jung-un . . . and not owning up to the lie
Strike Three: Being stupid enough to write the crap in a book . . . and read it yourself in the audio book

Sounds like the perfect vice presidential candidate for Trump . . .

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the perfect vice presidential candidate for Trump . .

tu2

Today I read that another country's leader or admin disputed accuracy of the book.

Just think, if Trump wins and something later happens to him, she could continue the lame legacy of altering reality, along with MTG, Boebert, Jordon and many other GOPers.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19983 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I live rural and have for decades. I have bird dogs too. Contrary to what many believe, they need to be trained. It sounds to me like Kristy Noem did not train that dog and then put it in a position set up to fail. That is far different from a dog chasing your livestock. Pretty disgusting in my view, but I a dog man through and through.

Posts: 320 | Location: Boulder mountains | Registered: 09 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronco:
quote:

Well said, some people don't get it.

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36808 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Bertram:
quote:

I live rural and have for decades. I have bird dogs too. Contrary to what many believe, they need to be trained. It sounds to me like Kristy Noem did not train that dog and then put it in a position set up to fail. That is far different from a dog chasing your livestock. Pretty disgusting in my view, but I a dog man through and through.

I came from a ranching family of dogmen. At times we would have up to 30 working dogs in our kennels — coonhounds, cathounds, bird dogs, hog dogs, and cow dogs.

The truth is that none of us were there with Ms. Noem and have no idea what went on.

If she wanted to stay “popular” however…she should have avoided the subject.

In the arena of la la land (the mindset of 60% of the voting population of the USA) however…she is tainted.

She would suit me fine however as a leader of my state or my country…just not a wise choice from the standpoint of politics.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36808 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some dogs will not train, at least not enough to be let off leash. That straight from pro trainers I have talked to.
No-one around here tries to hide the fact they had to shoot a dog, their own or otherwise.
For those that have a problem with it, it's a you problem, not everyones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Aussie friends with big cattle and/or sheep stations. They have dozens of dogs to help work. They are treated very well, and given plenty of attention and praise. But, they admit, sometimes one goes rouge for reasons unknown and will kill. They are put down. Has to be done, nobody likes it though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some dogs will not train, at least not enough to be let off leash. That straight from pro trainers I have talked to.
No-one around here tries to hide the fact they had to shoot a dog, their own or otherwise.
For those that have a problem with it, it's a you problem, not everyones.

You would think the story would have been balanced out with hours of working with the dog if that was the case. I see it as her failure to not keep the dog confined while visiting the neighbor.

I have a problem with stupid people, especially people who shoot a 14 month old puppy without putting in the effort to train it.

Noem is DAF.

Posts: 320 | Location: Boulder mountains | Registered: 09 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have Aussie friends with big cattle and/or sheep stations. They have dozens of dogs to help work. They are treated very well, and given plenty of attention and praise. But, they admit, sometimes one goes rouge for reasons unknown and will kill. They are put down. Has to be done, nobody likes it though.

This is the reality that the la la land voter likes to pretend does not exist.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
So long, Tookie...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14417 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

This is the reality that the la la land voter likes to pretend does not exist.

LaLa land your ass. The story reeks of irresponsibility and pathetic behavior. This line of "that is how it works in the country" is utter BS. Responsible dog people take the time to train their animals and set them up for success. We sure did not hear any of that in the Noem story.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who is "us"?

No, it's not part of "Rural Life". It's part of a sub-culture or a segment of human sensibilities who justify it. Sometimes it may be necessary, but much of the time it's just mean and ignorant.

Don't even try to play the farce, trying to justify it because of where you live, your culture, your upbringing, practicality, or whatever.

I lived "Rural" over 80% of my life, and wished I was rural the other 20%. In my younger years I too succumbed to the justifications. I have shot several dogs over the years. I now regret it, perhaps close to the point it haunts me. For several years I have refused to shoot dogs who show up here, which in years past I would have shot them.

About five years ago a bulldog started hanging around. He was feral, but not mean - just lonesome and hungry. I never could catch him to start real socialization training and take him to the vet. I hung an auto feeder out for him when I traveled. Someone shot him while I was gone. I found his bones in the woods about a year later. His problem was a people problem. He wasn't socialized as a puppy and by the time he showed up here it was too late.

If, for example, he had started catching baby deer, I still wouldn't have shot him. I would have figured something else out and only as a last resort, have someone else shoot him when I wasn't around.

I don't want any more memories like that.

Now, maybe I'm trying to make amends. I have six large dogs, three of which are sleeping on the floor next to me as I write this post. They are all healthy and well behaved, mostly, with exceptions. Dogs will be dogs, especially the males who need supervision. They listen to me, if not we have a series of serious discussions about acceptable behavior and what's not. Every one has a slightly different demeanor and females are much easier. Actually those "discussions" never cease. The tone and intensity may chill, but reminders are routine.

I had a "liberal" woman-friend many years ago who taught me a lot about dogs, since she was very fond of dogs and very conscientious. I learned that if you teach a dog the basics, such as sit, stay, come, heel, the dog's behavior will be attentive and pliable. All other training tags of that.

I know there are some dogs that won't accept corrective training, too dumb, mean or whatever. I haven't seen one like that lately and hope I don't.

One of my dogs, an intact male shepherd/lab mix, about 80 lbs., is an armadillo killer. 10 seconds is all it takes, if that long. He's proficient. I would hate to see what he would do to a cat. I haven't tried to break him from killing armadillos since I don't want them here anyway and I don't have cats. I just don't let him have an opportunity to get someone's cat, chickens, or whatever. He's the alpha of the dogs, but submissive to me as the alpha of them all. The good thing about him is that he's not a dog killer. If he's in a fight, he quits when the other dog submits. I don't let it go on that long because the second male, also intact, will resist for a long time and bites hard in defense, resulting in vet bills. As far as I know (he was an adult when I got him) he's never been in a serious fight with a dog outside the pack. I leave him intact because he's not causing a problem so far and I want him to have full strength just in case he's attacked by a meaner or bigger dog, and I didn't see it coming.

The biggest two problems with having so many dogs is the vet bills and the problems relating to caring for them when and if I want to travel. The annual check-up, vaccinations and monthly meds for heartworm and flea and tick prevention is costly. I have a big van and take three or four of them with me on travels. The other two, yard dogs, I ask my cousin to check their feed and water daily. I usually buy 4 or 5 40 lb. bags of dog food at a time from a nearby farm and feed supply store.

Lots of sorry people dump dogs and pups out in the countryside. A dog-friendly place is like a magnet for a lonesome, hungry stray.

XXX

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello
3 weeks ago, two starving dogs jumped into my truck. I was taking care of my buddy max a big bay horse. I always have horse treats and dog treats on hand as a friend who lives nearby has several dogs that visit when I'm with max.
Two weeks prior to the 2 dogs showing up I placed a trail cam in the feed shed. Some critter was dumping out the feed barrels. The pictures showed a mom and a pup dog.
They chose me for whatever reason that day and I took them home
In the next few days of asking around I found out that a van with 7 dogs had driven out into the forest area here during a snowstorm and dumped the dogs This was January 24.
At some point between then and when these two found me the momma dog had been shot. The bullet went in on her left front chest, fragmented and destroyed the shoulder tendons and muscles. No bones or vital organs were hit.
How she and her pup survived is beyond me, but they did. I thought that max had maybe kicked her at some point, but the x-rays proved otherwise.
The momma dog and her pup will be returning to us here after mom has her leg amputated this week. When she healed is up. They both have gotten all of the needed shots, wormers and spaying.
I guess this is a long route of saying this but if someone shoots a dog or any animal for that matter. Make sure its F...ing dead!
I have had to put down badly hurt dog's, cat's, cattle and horses. Plus, dumped and stray dogs attacking cattle and horses and goats ect ect. it's not something I enjoy.
I can relate to doing such, but I don't feel like it makes me someone who is able to make the hard tough choices. Nor to be qualified to run or hold public office. Or however she put it.
coues
Ds

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://youtube.com/shorts/A2k...?si=KwPS-_PbECzvQCDZ
Now she's a part of our family

https://youtu.be/hDMwKSx94pQ?si=zbJlykkRxA70cPJS

She's in the Doghouse Now (political parody)

https://youtu.be/-pEqfPbK5no?si=7LIH9enhqsxCYwtq

Kristi Noem: I Love My Dog (song parody)

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Kabob knows people who think it's no big deal. Anyone I have ever heard talk of shooting a dog is disgusted by it. Usually talked about because they know others have had to do it also. I always drive off, or drive home offending dogs, and tell the owners. It seldom works.
As Kabob just claimed dogs have " emotions" in his first post, he goes in the "crazy bird lady" category. She was walking down the road after a storm worried about birds nests because " birds have feeling too"
Besides the work dogs do for us, we would be all the poorer without them. But, they are what they are. They operate on thousands of years of instinct. It's why the Husky, 8 yrs old, bit the 6 yr old family kid in the face, it had always adored. It was just showing dominance to a younger pup, it didnt want a hug.
Or the chow that decided to tear the two house cats apart one day, even though they had grown up together. I know the people who both of these things happened to. They had the vet put them down. Some claim every pit bull should be shot. I have known many wonderful ones. Others, just can not be trusted.
My rescue I have now is a pit/boxer mix. He is one of the most loving dogs I have had. He would like to kill every cat there is. He was slated to be destroyed at the shelter, when I took him. There are barn cats around, and he took some work, but he will leave them alone now. He still quivers when he see's one run by. If something happened to me, in no time, he would be back to cat killing with someone else.
Thousands of dogs a week are put down in shelters. I blame people for 99% of it. But, there are always some that will break from being the dog we hope them to be, it's just nature showing us we dont know everything.