New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think we can safely infer from my other threads… Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
1) Jesus taught no bad. And if you followed Jesus’s teachings to the letter…you would be a good person and good to and for humanity.

2) Almost all Americans are nationalists to some degree.

3) The Greatest Generation, who stamped out Naziism, was very nationalistic as well as strongly Christian.

4) Division in this country is from the lack of nationalism…not due to it.

Correct me where I am wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36557 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
Two thoughts:

1. “Turning the other cheek” after Pearl Harbor may have had some undesirable consequences;

2. Are the writings attributed to Jesus the only ones the promote certain actions? I think that there are a plethora of similar views promulgated.

Posts: 8613 | Location: Oregon  | Registered: 03 June 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger:
Two thoughts:

1. “Turning the other cheek” after Pearl Harbor may have had some undesirable consequences;

Agreed. And why reference to the Old Testament is necessary.

2. Are the writings attributed to Jesus the only ones the promote certain actions? I think that there are a plethora of similar views promulgated.

Agreed. And hence the reason I didn’t try to make that case. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36557 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure I agree with #4.

As I have been stating in the thread on nationalism, it can take many forms. The division is not a lack of nationalism, but rather a divergence of opinion amongst the citizens of what our goals as a nation should be.

As an example, open borders and wholesale immigration is not necessarily against American nationalism, although a lack of control over the border certainly is.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I'm not so sure I agree with #4.

As I have been stating in the thread on nationalism, it can take many forms. The division is not a lack of nationalism, but rather a divergence of opinion amongst the citizens of what our goals as a nation should be.

As an example, open borders and wholesale immigration is not necessarily against American nationalism,

Hmm…I would have said that it was. It certainly was through much of history.

although a lack of control over the border certainly is.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. The Gospels were written by Jesus' fans and followers. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that they may have only quoted the wise things he said, and omitted the rest.

If he swore like a drunken sailor, none of those words would have made it into the New Testament.

2. Yeah--to some degree. See "patriotic."

3. Substitute "patriotic" for "nationalistic." We've covered the difference. The two terms have similarities in meaning, but aren't identical.

Strike "Christian." Our participation in WWII was not a religious crusade. You don't see Jesus' picture on old WWII posters, do you?

4. You're painting with a broad brush. There are other causes of strife in the US than the difference between patriotism and nationalism.

Posts: 6106 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
3) The Greatest Generation, who stamped out Naziism, was very nationalistic as well as strongly Christian.

I agree wholeheartedly with the spirit of your entire post, brother; my only revision would be to amend the statement above to read, "...as well as adherent to Judeo-Christian values."

In my opinion, people of many different faiths can occupy the same nation and adhere to the common values, regardless of how they worship; attaching any label to those values is problematic, due to the exclusionary nature of the label.

Having said that, your fundamental points are rock solid. tu2

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
quote:

I agree wholeheartedly with the spirit of your entire post, brother; my only revision would be to amend the statement above to read, "...as well as adherent to Judeo-Christian values."

In my opinion, people of many different faiths can occupy the same nation and adhere to the common values, regardless of how they worship; attaching any label to those values is problematic, due to the exclusionary nature of the label.

Agreed

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
1. The Gospels were written by Jesus' fans and followers. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that they may have only quoted the wise things he said, and omitted the rest.

If he swore like a drunken sailor, none of those words would have made it into the New Testament.

2. Yeah--to some degree. See "patriotic."

3. Substitute "patriotic" for "nationalistic." We've covered the difference. The two terms have similarities in meaning, but aren't identical.

All the men of the Lost Battalion were way more than patriotic as were most of the Greatest Generation — they were nationalists to the core.

Strike "Christian." Our participation in WWII was not a religious crusade. You don't see Jesus' picture on old WWII posters, do you?

I am not saying we were on a Crusade…just a large majority of them were strong (by today’s standards) Christians.

4. You're painting with a broad brush. There are other causes of strife in the US than the difference between patriotism and nationalism.

True…but loyalty and devotion to country always brought us together in times of strife in the past.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dunno, I believe there was a popular song-

Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition, God is on our side!

Patton also demanded that the chaplain come up with a prayer for good weather, and distributed it.

My grandfather remembered a bunch of exhortations against the Godless Japanese.

It was a different time.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was a different time.

100% The Greatest Generation => don’t f*** with America.

They were a very nationalistic generation.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
quote:

Let's focus on today.

History is essential, to guide us, as to what worked and what didn't.

Tas, I sure do wish you would get rid of those video clips and memes in your posts. They are annoying, and mean nothing, except to make some statement which also means nothing, except to yourself. Just taking up cyberspace for zero.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19678 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
It was a different time.

They had an opponent which coalesced the nation.

The right, especially Christian Nationalists have fabricated an opponent, dividing fellow Americans.

It's not the same thing.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19678 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the video clip. It only distracts the reader and detracts from his words.

Posts: 6106 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:
quote:
quote:
It was a different time.

They had an opponent which coalesced the nation.

Almost ALL Americans at the time were nationalistic…making them “coalescable” (I know not a word but it makes the point). The nationalistic spirit also made it easy for them to agree on the enemy…something we lack today.

The right, especially Christian Nationalists have fabricated an opponent, dividing fellow Americans.

No it is the dividends that allow division to take place. IE: “YOU” choose to be divided from others. If you didn’t choose that…there would be no division. The left not only chooses division…they crave it.

It's not the same thing.

The Nationalistic Americans didn’t change…they are the same as always. It is the anti nationalistic American that has emerged that is different.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they came to realize who and what the "enemy" was, and the choices of what to do about it became more focused and narrower.

The choices today, as I see it, are to reject radicalism or join.

So, if that's choosing division - hummm.

Perhaps what you see as anti-nationalism is anti-radicalism instead.

I can see how you would think that. Radical nationalists set themselves apart. It's kinda ironic that they would deem those opposed, not in their tribe, to be the divisive ones, AND to declare "them" the enemy.

How do you expect people to react when they are called the enemy and treated that way?

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ME, you support radicalism as well. You just justify it with your worldview.

So your issue with Dr. E is his side, not his “radicalism” as defined by you.

Radical is defined as deviation from the norm.

In politics, the norm is pretty much in the eye of the beholder.

In the strictest sense, you need to define what the definition of the norm is, and then how far from it does one require to be called radical.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BS

I looked up the definition of the word "radicalism":

https://www.google.com/search?...gAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

The definitions vary a little, but nowhere did I see the term defined by disagreement in one another.

Also, let's just say that radicalization is one of the normals in the USA, always has been. That's not to say it is the dominate normal or mainstream. Radicals want their worldview to be the new and dominate "normal", mainstream, by any means. And they claim everyone else is the problem.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep looking.

Lots of differently nuanced definitions.

Most involve belief in extreme change from the current norm.

quote:
BS

I looked up the definition of the word "radicalism":

https://www.google.com/search?...gAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

The definitions vary a little, but nowhere did I see the term defined by disagreement in one another.

Also, let's just say that radicalization is one of the normals in the USA, always has been. That's not to say it is the dominate normal or mainstream. Radicals want their worldview to be the new and dominate "normal", mainstream, by any means. And they claim everyone else is the problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, hypothetically, if Trump is voted POTUS again, purges the govt of all who are deemed disloyal, goes on a revenge binge, trashes practically everything in governance that has been the norm for a long time, thus a new normal emerges, akin to fascism.

Will it then be deemed that those who oppose are radicals?

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on who is doing the talking.

To the Trumpites in your scenario, anyone who doesn’t support DJT would be.

The rest would consider them the radicals.

That’s in a nutshell the problem with the term.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see the problem.

I think radical can be easily identified.

The term MAY be confused with nutz case, but that too can be clarified.

Just because someone makes a claim doesn't make it so.

XXX

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't see the problem.

I think radical can be easily identified.

The term MAY be confused with nutz case, but that too can be clarified.

Just because someone makes a claim doesn't make it so.

Yessir…nut cases can easily be identified…100%! Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is something I posted in another thread, but it got buried with a silly argument.

It seems to me this is a good example of what Fox News does, appeal to emotionalism. Notice there is not one single fact or evidence presented in support of the premise. It's just an opinion supported by emotional type images.

quote:
Here's an opinion article from Fox News:

(Emotional appeal?)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...4437ddc736151b15cc1a

America 'unrecognizable' and on the brink of collapse, experts warn: 'Turning on our own legacy'
Opinion by Taylor Penley • 5h ago

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And here's something else:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...4c5284cecb1ddc42dd1f

Large numbers of Americans want a strong, rough, anti-democratic leader
Story by Tarah Williams, Assistant Professor of Pol

================================================

Notice the difference in this and the Fox News article. This one is supported.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magic Enema--Tas, I sure do wish you would get rid of those video clips and memes in your posts. They are annoying, and mean nothing, except to make some statement which also means nothing, except to yourself. Just taking up cyberspace for zero.

Someone with all the taglines you put in to try and make you look intellectual( which they don't) Has the audacity to comment on someone elses?.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people are capable of taking good advice.

Some herein are trolls.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You still have all the BS taglines--Obviously, taking good advice is way above your capabilities. You still flock shooting from a golf cart and letting an animal lay there and suffer?

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Two thoughts:

God was a different fellow in the old testament, a lot of smiting of women and children in there, even what we would term genocide. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
quote:
Two thoughts:

God was a different fellow in the old testament, a lot of smiting of women and children in there, even what we would term genocide. Big Grin

Grizz

And man has the capacity to make those judgements?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man made those judgments when he wrote it.

XXX

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
“Wrote it” is a broad subject. Can mean he simply acted as a scribe…or put his own spin on it.

Knowing you ME…I know you are vying for the latter.

I lean more towards the former…especially with the Old Testament. Few things in the world have been scrutinized more — it has stood the test of time.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Germany in the 1930's became increasingly nationalistic as well, which aided the nazism. The whole world was against them, and hurting them, due to WWI and the consequences of that for Germany.
Nationalism isn't bad, but like many other things, extreme versions of it are. Just like extreme left, extreme right, extreme religious beliefs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is something I posted in another thread, but it got buried with a silly argument.

It seems to me this is a good example of what Fox News does, appeal to emotionalism. Notice there is not one single fact or evidence presented in support of the premise. It's just an opinion supported by emotional type images.

quote:
Here's an opinion article from Fox News:

(Emotional appeal?)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...4437ddc736151b15cc1a

America 'unrecognizable' and on the brink of collapse, experts warn: 'Turning on our own legacy'
Opinion by Taylor Penley • 5h ago

And CNN never does that....nah....its,only fox.....you can't really be that stupid....well.....

Posts: 41775 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also posted this:

quote:
And here's something else:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...4c5284cecb1ddc42dd1f

Large numbers of Americans want a strong, rough, anti-democratic leader
Story by Tarah Williams, Assistant Professor of Pol

================================================

Notice the difference in this and the Fox News article. This one is supported.

These articles are typical examples.

But, we all know what works on conservatives, emotional imagery, lies, repetition.

No need for silliness such as evidence, facts, quotations, legit surveys, etc.

XXX

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BushPeter:
I think Germany in the 1930's became increasingly nationalistic as well, which aided the nazism. The whole world was against them, and hurting them, due to WWI and the consequences of that for Germany.
Nationalism isn't bad, but like many other things, extreme versions of it are. Just like extreme left, extreme right, extreme religious beliefs.

BOOM

J. Lane Easter, DVM