Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas is hotter than 99% of the world Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can recall more than one Southerner saying that Des Moines was the hottest place that they'd ever been to.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1226 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My time in Des Moines I didn't think it was all that hot... Humid, but not that hot.

And I'm from north of you guys.

Posts: 10685 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
My time in Des Moines I didn't think it was all that hot... Humid, but not that hot.

That musta been before all the global warming?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
It is just an average Texas summer…this summer.

Maybe you don't think it's that bad. My sister & niece live in Texas, Dallas and Huntsville areas, and they think it's plenty hotter than normal. Thermometers are apparently agreeing with them.

https://weather.com/safety/hea...wave-record-forecast

Posts: 15888 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I spend quite a bit of time there. It's plenty hot, but I attribute that to the hot air generated by politicians. I live in the SE corner of Iowa, and do not find the extremes all that unusual, but the averages are certainly not normal. I don't remember the exact year, but in the early eighties here we had a 21 day stretch where it never got above zero in February, followed by a blistering summer. A few years ago we went 3 days short of two years without dipping below zero once. When it did, it only hit two or three below and only for a day or two. In the fifties & sixties here we had fifteen to seventeen below every winter. Snow did not melt off before the next big hit came. We dug two room caves into giant drifts to play in. My kids, the oldest is fifty, have never seen one of those.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
quote:

Maybe you don't think it's that bad. My sister & niece live in Texas, Dallas and Huntsville areas, and they think it's plenty hotter than normal. Thermometers are apparently agreeing with them.

45 minutes from downtown Dallas.

Anytime the night drops below 70°F in July in north central Texas…cooler than average.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36723 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Lane noted I do not think it got any hotter than 86F yesterday in N Dallas area.
Quite break from the past 3-4 days.
Just returned from a walk this morning at 75F which is about normal.
A decade or more or so ago we had 100F days is lated April and early May for a few weeks. That is abnormal.
Power plants were shutting down due to scheduled maintenance in the Spring. They do the same in the Fall.
That really created a strain on the ERCOT grid.
We get these spells from time to time. 43 years ago 1979/80 we had perhaps the hottest summer here is DFW I can recall.
NEWSWEEK wrote cattle are dying in the streets of Dallas and the road are exploding.
I could not believe what I ws reading.
as I recall my first real acknowledgement of yellow journalism.
I was working as an engineer at Texas Instruments at that time in the "equipment group".
Most people had no idea it was FLIRS, Radars, Electronic eavesdropping, Paveway laser guided bombs and HARM missile.
Thought TI made Integrates circuits and calculators....
Most peole do not know Jack Kirby at TI invented the integrated circuit.
That is where all our silicone based circuit concept began.
Sure changed things over the past 50 years.
Been fortune to see it through its development.
Back to the weather 96 forecast for today and the next 3-4 days with 30% chance of rain.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The forecast here today, July 2, is 96 high. The average is 91. The record high was 98 in 2012. Humidity 90%. It's gonna be a steam bath.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19823 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I woke up in Winona last Tuesday morning and at 7 am it was cool outside. I'm just north of Des Moines.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1226 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas politicians and the heat. I dare you loons to actually watch this

https://youtu.be/1uKNTi1rNPg

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Texas politicians and the heat. I dare you loons to actually watch this

https://youtu.be/1uKNTi1rNPg

I was unmoved by that piece of yellow journalism.

Before you attack me, let me explain why I found that story to be weak…

You guys hate when there are record weather events and the deniers say “yeah, we’ve always had heatwaves/droughts/floods/etc. It’s just weather…”

And you are correct in pointing out the obvious weaknesses of such “arguments” against climate change.

But then you guys expect us to be swayed by a news reporter blathering on about how global warming is suddenly so bad that people are dying from the heat, as though that has never happened before, and you have some choir boy politician telling us “no one can deny global warming. When I was a kid we would ride our bikes around and it was hot, but not hot like this!”

Really, so we are supposed to believe that this guy can feel the .25 degree increase in temperature that science says that we have experienced in the decades since Mr. Choirboy was a kid?

Does anyone really believe that the effects of global warming are so severe in Texas that prisons that have never had air conditioning suddenly need air conditioning just to keep the prisoners from being cooked alive?

Really? If global warming has really gotten that bad, shouldn’t there be some eye popping temperature charts that show major temperature increases? Shouldn’t there be mention of record numbered of deaths to go along with these figures?

But instead we have unscientific anecdotes like “we’ve had five 500 year floods in the past decade! How can anyone deny global warming?!”

Yeah, how can anyone doubt that?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The shifting of the Earth's magnetic poles is likely to influence the climate as well. Not sure how this is human-caused. Maybe an increased tax on iron based products will fix it.
There is a theory regarding the southern Pacific atmospheric pressure oscillation which has, in previous times, led to significant climate change. Not sure where carbon tax fits into this one but I'm sure it helps a lot. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3540 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Getting ready for a hunt in Africa in 2 weeks so walking/jogging 4 miles every day in the middle of the afternoon. Today, I left at 4pm…home at 5. It was a nice cool 95°F. Love it!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36723 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
good for you Lane

I used to love hunting in Mozambique
in Oct or Nov
when even the PHwas complaing of the heat

I then then invited him to haul hay in East Texas in August
he of course declined

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

45 minutes from downtown Dallas.

Anytime the night drops below 70°F in July in north central Texas…cooler than average.

It's cooled off some. Two weeks ago, we had the highest dew point level ever recorded in Dallas. It was an unusually hot start to a Texas summer.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15158 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
One year in the late 90s…it got 100°F in February in Gainesville. I believe Dallas was in the high 90s.

J. Lane Easter, DVM