Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Needs an Ambassador to Israel? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
What harm could come from Republican Senator (and noted runner) Josh Hawley blocking the confirmation of the U.S. Ambassador to Israel?

It's not like anything important is likely to happen there...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
What harm could come from Republican Senator (and noted runner) Josh Hawley blocking the confirmation of the U.S. Ambassador to Israel?

Our Secretary of State of our president can't contact Israel or other Middle East entities? I had no idea.

Don't get me wrong, I personally believe the implosion of the GOP is a benefit to the nation. I'd stop short of endorsing Trump to induce calamity, but I like the Speaker getting fired, I like McConnell freezing at the podium, I love MTG's "Jewish Space Lasers".

I don't really see how no ambassador would make much difference today or tomorrow.

Posts: 9121 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:

Our Secretary of State of our president can't contact Israel or other Middle East entities? I had no idea.

Don't get me wrong, I personally believe the implosion of the GOP is a benefit to the nation. I'd stop short of endorsing Trump to induce calamity, but I like the Speaker getting fired, I like McConnell freezing at the podium, I love MTG's "Jewish Space Lasers".

I don't really see how no ambassador would make much difference today or tomorrow.

Having a Senior American representative at that level is ALWAYS a good thing, or Countries wouldn't make a big dead about diplomatic representation.

Its importance is only amplified during a crisis.

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We probably don't need any more senior military people promoted at this point either. Hawley and Tuberville are turds.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15121 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
38 Ambassadors and 60 senior state dept officials are being blocked from a vote by Republican Senators.

In addition to Tuberville's denial of over 300 promotions in senior military positions.

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRG:
38 Ambassadors and 60 senior state dept officials are being blocked from a vote by Republican Senators.

In addition to Tuberville's denial of over 300 promotions in senior military positions.

If a foreign government were somehow preventing as many American officials from performing their assigned duties we'd have a Carrier Strike Group headed their way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OTOH, can any of you tell me how having an ambassador to Israel would have changed what happened?

I agree that politics are being played, and it’s wrong- but I don’t see how the state department or additional flag officers would have cured any of the country’s problems.

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
OTOH, can any of you tell me how having an ambassador to Israel would have changed what happened?

I agree that politics are being played, and it’s wrong- but I don’t see how the state department or additional flag officers would have cured any of the country’s problems.

You're right. We shouldn't appoint ambassadors or have senior military leadership positions filled by competent experienced people. Who needs that shit? We should have cretins like Tommy Tuberville holding up that process because he doesn't think a woman serving in the military should have a right to choose. That's the most important thing, right? I mean, the last 48 hours have shown that. 2020

Do you really need somebody to explain to you why it's important to engage in diplomacy and have your military funded, led and ready at all times?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well then, Doctor, why have them at all?

We can just recall and fire all our Ambassadors and force Admirals and Generals into retirement, because everybody knows Armies and Navies just run themselves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a general tip:

If you find yourself saying or typing "and it's wrong" and your brain wants to insert the word "but" next, just stop it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, my point is that you all blaming the GOP for the attack on Israel. The US ambassador to Israel has no bearing here.

The US Military has no bearing here.

Are the republicans playing games they shouldn’t? Yes. They should reserve blocking for individuals they feel are not appropriate for the job.

I haven’t heard that the objection Tuberville is raising is individual competence on the part of the officers, but rather his complaint is on DOD policy re abortion funding. He’s picking the wrong fight… just like you all when you state the US ambassador to Israel not being there caused Hamas’ attack and the implication that 400 more generals would have kept the 9 Americans reported dead alive.

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, my point is that you all blaming the GOP for the attack on Israel. The US ambassador to Israel has no bearing here.

The US Military has no bearing here.

Are the republicans playing games they shouldn’t? Yes. They should reserve blocking for individuals they feel are not appropriate for the job.

I haven’t heard that the objection Tuberville is raising is individual competence on the part of the officers, but rather his complaint is on DOD policy re abortion funding. He’s picking the wrong fight… just like you all when you state the US ambassador to Israel not being there caused Hamas’ attack and the implication that 400 more generals would have kept the 9 Americans reported dead alive.

Where did I say any of that?

The point is our strongest middle-eastern ally has been subjected to a major attack that has caused thousands of casualties. Maybe it would be better if we have an Ambassador in that country with some experience and an understanding of what's going on to help us navigate it? Or maybe having all those military positions filled that your fucking idiot Tuberville has prevented would have an effect on the US' military analysis of what to do next and how to do it?

Confused