Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should the US default? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I'm curious about how many here support the Freedom Caucus and think the US should default on it's debt?

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15056 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I’m sure there are at least a few idiots here who believe that….. 2020 cuckoo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13147 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So. Lane?

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
We should have a balanced budget for starters.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
We should have a balanced budget for starters.

agreed

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No matter how you look at it.

Borrowing more money to pay your old debts is nothing short of being BANKRUPT! clap

Your sorry lot have been raising the debt for years, where has it got you?

Silly question really, asking people who chose Trump and Biden as their RULERS! jumping

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
I'm curious about how many here support the Freedom Caucus and think the US should default on it's debt?

If you welch once, the bankers will want another 2% next time...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
So. Lane?

Of course our government must pay its bills and will.

However, we are a loonnngggg way away from not being able to pay our bills or default. Thus, I see nothing wrong with negotiating for more spending cuts.

If I ran my businesses in the manner the US Gvt does…my bankers would laugh at me asking.

The Gvt must get back to living within its means “if” we are to continue to survive.

I have conducted business through a few of these negotiation periods. They never actually affect anything in the real world much at all and nothing long-term.

I believe the people are on the side of the house getting as much cut as it can this time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
So. Lane?

However, we are a loonnngggg way away from not being able to pay our bills or default. Thus, I see nothing wrong with negotiating for more spending cuts.

If I ran my businesses in the manner the US Gvt does…my bankers would laugh at me asking.

The Gvt must get back to living within its means “if” we are to continue to survive.

I have conducted business through a few of these negotiation periods. They never actually affect anything in the real world much at all and nothing long-term.

I believe the people are on the side of the house getting as much cut as it can this time.

Oh how soon they forget:

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/misc/R41955.pdf

The US had its credit rating downgraded and our Government paid higher interest on its loans the last time the GOP played these stupid games.

It most certainly affected the real world.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
quote:
quote:
So. Lane?

Oh how soon they forget:

The US had its credit rating downgraded and our Government paid higher interest on its loans the last time the GOP played these stupid games.

Shows how little business you actually conduct in the real-world. 2020

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe default would be the equivalent of a bowling ball to the US and world economies.

Absolutely not should the US Default.

I guess Dr. Easter would be okay with President Biden using the 14th Amendment to get the bills paid? If this desk does not get passed. Note, the use of the 14th
Amendment has never been used before in said manner.

Telling someone they are wrong when they give you a real, tangible example of something you do not like does not make you right.

The below is just an observation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65633280.amp

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/a...ult-could-affect-you

https://www.whitehouse.gov/cea...t-ceiling-scenarios/

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/0...at-happens-next.html

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/24...bal-financial-crisis

https://www.thebalancemoney.co...debt-default-3306295

I trust the above over Dr. Easter on this topic.

Hey, Sen Ran Paul is going to ruin, I mean, save it all.

Now, “through modern history, the U.S. has never defaulted on its debt.”

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
So. Lane?

Oh how soon they forget:

Ah yes.....denial, not just a river in Egypt is it?

Having just sent several hundred thousand dollars overseas for the purchase of inventory and enjoyed the poor exchange rates since the debt ceiling controversy began, which cost me thousands of dollars in profit, I most certainly live in the real world and have felt the effects of the GOP games in my own accounts. Happy to say the wire I sent out this morning had a much better exchange rate than the ones that went out a few weeks prior.

Come on over to the real world Lane where these games have a real effect on your actual bottom line.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CBO has said we wouldnt run out of money until Oct 1. So the magic date of default they are talking about has plenty of wiggle room for negotiations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
The CBO has said we wouldnt run out of money until Oct 1. So the magic date of default they are talking about has plenty of wiggle room for negotiations.

We did not hit the default date the last time either, yet our credit rating took a hit.

It reminds me of that old saying: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Any business, organization, agency, etc. has well established recourse when facing insolvency. I for one would love to see this. Let’s start with no bonuses. And on to lay offs, furloughs, pay cuts, wouldn’t that be refreshing. Make the difficult decisions and take responsibility. We’re still playing kick the can. The media should shout this out loud every morning and evening. 4% pay cuts across the board, everyone. You want to bring both parties together, find some common ground? Have these bureaucrats eat their own shit sandwiches just once. They’ve certainly demonstrated they are not deserving of their pay. How bout a 5 year moratorium on buying new vehicles? The federal government is a monster and opportunities to shore up spending are near limitless. They never entertain them. There’s more than one way to skin a cat, the answer has never been print more money.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

We did not hit the default date the last time either, yet our credit rating took a hit.

It's a pity that you obviously know nothing about business. Everyone knows that your credit rating really has no impact on your borrowing costs. The credit rating agencies just do ratings for the hell of it, it's a form of entertainment. Next time check your facts first with a "real-world" businessman . . . .

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Any business, organization, agency, etc. has well established recourse when facing insolvency. I for one would love to see this. Let’s start with no bonuses. And on to lay offs, furloughs, pay cuts, wouldn’t that be refreshing. Make the difficult decisions and take responsibility. We’re still playing kick the can. The media should shout this out loud every morning and evening. 4% pay cuts across the board, everyone. You want to bring both parties together, find some common ground? Have these bureaucrats eat their own shit sandwiches just once. They’ve certainly demonstrated they are not deserving of their pay. How bout a 5 year moratorium on buying new vehicles? The federal government is a monster and opportunities to shore up spending are near limitless. They never entertain them. There’s more than one way to skin a cat, the answer has never been print more money.

The top tax bracket has received a 47% rate reduction on the income tax they pay since 1980, that might play into the equation a little bit.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
So. Lane?

Oh how soon they forget:

Having just sent several hundred thousand dollars overseas for the purchase of inventory and enjoyed the poor exchange rates since the debt ceiling controversy began, which cost me thousands of dollars in profit, I most certainly live in the real world and have felt the effects of the GOP games in my own accounts. Happy to say the wire I sent out this morning had a much better exchange rate than the ones that went out a few weeks prior.

Come on over to the real world Lane where these games have a real effect on your actual bottom line.

I deal in millions of dollars and in both foreign and domestic markets. These negotiations have NEVER made a dime’s worth of difference in the bottom line for my companies. Taxes on the other hand…

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
quote:

It's a pity that you obviously know nothing about business. Everyone knows that your credit rating really has no impact on your borrowing costs. The credit rating agencies just do ratings for the hell of it, it's a form of entertainment. Next time check your facts first with a "real-world" businessman . . . .

You know that^^^was a dumb response. I hope…

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
So. Lane?

Oh how soon they forget:

I deal in millions of dollars and in both foreign and domestic markets. These negotiations have NEVER made a dime’s worth of difference in the bottom line for my companies. Taxes on the other hand…

total bsflag

Anyone who deals internationally deals with changing exchange rates and the effects of the debt ceiling negotiations as well as the US credit rating.

Come on over to the real world Lane where these things matter 2020

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The top tax bracket has received a 47% rate reduction on the income tax they pay since 1980, that might play into the equation a little bit.

And they still account for >95% of the revenue.

In 1980 I had a passbook savings account I used for profit made on cattle sales. It drew 19% for a while!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Get the rid of the 13% of the population who are totally useless.

The 42 millions on food stamps!

Can you believe it! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And they still account for >95% of the revenue.

In 1980 I had a passbook savings account I used for profit made on cattle sales. It drew 19% for a while!

And if tax evasion was not so high amongst the top tax bracket we would likely have a balanced budget, but we all know handicapping the IRS remains a top priority for the GOP.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Can you believe it! clap

Those evil poor people. What a shame they were not born into "Royalty" archer

On the other hand, it is difficult getting a job as a Prince here in the States.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
So. Lane?

Oh how soon they forget:

total bsflag

Anyone who deals internationally deals with changing exchange rates and the effects of the debt ceiling negotiations as well as the US credit rating.

diggin

You haven’t a clue. The scary part is that you believe you do!

I sit on the board of a bank and we chuckle in meetings over the hoopla that the press makes over this.

In the end…a deal will be done. Plenty of time to negotiate. These threats of the sky falling tomorrow are a joke. Spending needs to be reined in. Hold their feet to the fire Freedom Caucus.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
So. Lane?

Oh how soon they forget:

total bsflag

diggin

I sit on the board of a bank and we chuckle in meetings over the hoopla that the press makes over this.

In the end…a deal will be done. Plenty of time to negotiate. These threats of the sky falling tomorrow are a joke. Spending needs to be reined in. Hold their feet to the fire Freedom Caucus.

An ever useful idiot.....we have seen the results in the not so distant past of your Freedom Caucus games, it didn't end well then for the GOP and will not end well for them this time.

The scary part is that you are so removed from reality

space

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I bought a year-old pickup, paid 19.75% interest on the loan. Not for long, paid that mess off quick...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
So. Lane?

Oh how soon they forget:

total bsflag

diggin

An ever useful idiot.....we have seen the results in the not so distant past of your Freedom Caucus games, it didn't end well then for the GOP and will not end well for them this time.

The scary part is that you are so removed from reality

space

Well, late last night the Freedom Caucus got it handed to them with Board Bi-Partisan vote.

The Faction again shows its fringe.

https://www.reuters.com/world/...ge-house-2023-05-31/

You see Dr. Easter does not have worry about his SS check getting held up yet. So, whatever happens does not matter.

He also refuses to believe anything written he does not like on the subject.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna83836

The above is just a lie.

Oh, and those fiscal conservatives raised the debt wo strings 18 times under Reagan and 3 times under President Trump.

Remember President Trump was the Greatest President since President Reagan according to Dr. Easter.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Can you believe it! clap

Those evil poor people. What a shame they were not born into "Royalty" archer

On the other hand, it is difficult getting a job as a Prince here in the States.

When that oil sheik job becomes available, lemme know, will ya?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
So. Lane?

Oh how soon they forget:

total bsflag

diggin

You are such a clueless ass sometimes. You and the boys at the bank just sitting around chuckling at the idea that folks might not get their social security checks, eh? Because YOUR million dollar business is OK so who really gives a shit.

Fucking. Republicans. 2020

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...ddcd30be0e4f2f&ei=43

Are Sane Republicans Making a Comeback?
Opinion by Eleanor Clift • 4h ago

(excerpts)

These are outcomes that demonstrate even the most MAGA Republicans have a limit; politics can change on a dime, and Biden’s half-century of experience taught him how to find that dime. It’s why we elected him, even if we don’t love him.

“McCarthy made sure to put the adults in the room and what emerged is a deal that adults created,” says Barrett Marson, a Phoenix-based Republican strategist.

The worst appears to have been averted, thanks to enough Republicans responsibly grabbing their share of the reins of government. But does it signal a wholesale return of sanity to a party that has gone off the rails?

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19678 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
If the story about bank directors is true, which I sincerely doubt, just be glad you are not an investor in that bank. Responsible bank directors are not going to sit around yucking it up over a potential US default.

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the story about bank directors is true, which I sincerely doubt, just be glad you are not an investor in that bank. Responsible bank directors are not going to sit around yucking it up over a potential US default.

Modern day versions of Nero who are fiddling while Rome burns?

Brilliant!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, I have a horrendous amount of debt and I've been increasing it by perpetual borrowing for expenses I've incurred and to pay the interest on past borrowing. Now I need to borrow some more to keep me afloat and I'll probably have to do that again. Anyone suggest a bank that would float me a loan ? Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
So, I have a horrendous amount of debt and I've been increasing it by perpetual borrowing for expenses I've incurred and to pay the interest on past borrowing. Now I need to borrow some more to keep me afloat and I'll probably have to do that again. Anyone suggest a bank that would float me a loan ? Big Grin

Grizz

It is far more likely for you to get a loan if you continue to make your payments than if you default. My personal suggestion is for you to try to increase your income as well as reducing your expenses. hilbily

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are you calling me a liar Mike?

If I posted…it is a fact.

The US is not going to default. EVERYONE knows that. We have PLENTY of time for negotiations. EVERYONE who understands knows that.

What I said was: We joke about hope the media hypes it up…like there is a real risk here of it happening. There is not. A deal will be reached. And right now…the people are on the side of the Republicans.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And right now…the people are on the side of the Republicans.

Step out of your echo chamber Lane.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:

Grizz

You sound like the US Government diggin

Posts: 322 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Are you calling me a liar Mike?

If I posted…it is a fact.

The US is not going to default. EVERYONE knows that. We have PLENTY of time for negotiations. EVERYONE who understands knows that.

What I said was: We joke about hope the media hypes it up…like there is a real risk here of it happening. There is not. A deal will be reached. And right now…the people are on the side of the Republicans.

Not so sure people on SS, veteran’s benefits, or the active duty military would agree with that. They depend on a check, not an IOU… popcorn

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13147 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote