Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Father of School Shooter found guilty of Manslaughter Login/Join 
One of Us
posted

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I'm inclined to think this is a good thing.

In my community I see a lot of the opposite, parents not taking responsibility and not being held responsible. It's a disaster.

Here, public education is used quite a bit as daycare, kids get dropped off and forgotten about for 8hrs. Athletics and after school programs are also taken advantage of for babysitting.

Some parents instinctively blame shift. "Schools/ teachers fault!". Kids turn out horrible and the parents think they themselves need the therapy, not the kids. Confused

Posts: 9093 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
My son started off in the state education system here. After a few years we moved him to a private school.

What surprised me was the difference in which the parents were interested and invested in the kids education within the private system. Yes, in the state system there were obviously parents who were very concerned and engaged in how well their kids were doing but there were some who weren't, like you say, it’s free day care.

Posts: 7165 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the verdict. You need to be in better touch with what your kids are up too and their potential.

Likewise, I'm waiting for the parent(s) of some inner-city teen gang banger to be held responsible when their kid shoots up a gathering at 2am.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What seems to have become apparent is that these two "parents" were both horrible parents and not real good human beings, but .. and I say it with a big but. This is a slippery slope. Should parents be responsible for a bad kid? In Texas, there is a cap on the amount of property damage parents can be responsible for caused by a bad kid. I realize this is not "property damage."

But my kids did things I did not condone or encourage when they were growing up. I don't think I should have been responsible under a respondiat superior theory.

In my humble opinion, the charge should not have been manslaughter, but rather providing a firearm to a disturbed child and failure to secure the firearm. More like criminal negligence.

They did wrong for sure, but I don't think they should be vicariously liable for a bad kid.

Posts: 10011 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
What seems to have become apparent is that these two "parents" were both horrible parents and not real good human beings, but .. and I say it with a big but. This is a slippery slope. Should parents be responsible for a bad kid? In Texas, there is a cap on the amount of property damage parents can be responsible for caused by a bad kid. I realize this is not "property damage."

But my kids did things I did not condone or encourage when they were growing up. I don't think I should have been responsible under a respondiat superior theory.

In my humble opinion, the charge should not have been manslaughter, but rather providing a firearm to a disturbed child and failure to secure the firearm. More like criminal negligence.

They did wrong for sure, but I don't think they should be vicariously liable for a bad kid.

I agree on the slippery slope and maybe criminal negligence is the better fit. But there certainly is some culpability on the parent's part, at least from what we heard in the limited testimony that was released.

What was equally disturbing is the parents were in the process of fleeing, to leave their troubled kid to deal with it himself, when they were caught. Great parenting all the way to the end.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gsganzer,
I said at the outset that I didn't think these were either good parents or good people. I'm just saying that someone should be criminally liable for what they themselves did, not what someone else did. They did plenty wrong, criminally in my opinion, but it's disturbing for prosecut0rs to start charging parents routinely if that becomes a trend.

Posts: 10011 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great parenting all the way to the end.

True parenting went out of fashion with the last generation; not saying they were all perfect but a damn sight more concerned about their kids than are those of today.

Today's kids are largely left on their own to do as they please as long as their parents are free from hassles (until the shit hits the fan) and if those unruly kids in the minor group commit a felony, the parents must be made to face the music.

Posts: 1905 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Time and again around here I think to myself and I could point out to my friends here how the sins of the child really were the fault of the father.

We let these really little kids get away with a very small thing and over the years it becomes bigger and bigger and bigger. What is "cute" in preschool becomes "a little stinker" in a couple years which turns into "acting out" and then "independent" later. It's not that they're disobeying, they're resisting authority and expressing their rights.

There isn't anything, not one single thing my kid does or happens to her I don't feel responsible for.

If that murderer was my son I'd feel guilty as Hell and I mean Hell.

Posts: 9093 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Gsganzer,
I said at the outset that I didn't think these were either good parents or good people. I'm just saying that someone should be criminally liable for what they themselves did, not what someone else did. They did plenty wrong, criminally in my opinion, but it's disturbing for prosecut0rs to start charging parents routinely if that becomes a trend.

Folks die over 100 hundred years on our legal system have been held criminally and civilly responsible for what they willfully ignore when foreseeable events happen.

Whether these deaths were foreseeable given the facts found by the jury will be determined by the appellate courts of Michigan.

The trial judge had already determined that as a matter of law there were sufficient facts that a jury may find child’s actions were foreseeable to the parents. That had to be or the questions of fact would not have gotten to the jury.

We will see if the Michigan appellate courts given those facts now as true determine that as a matter of law the child’s action were foreseeable.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote