New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF warning has the Texas nuts all stirred up Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I got this phone message from ATF D.C. and an email yesterday, as I hold a C&R FFL:
Law enforcement is advising Federal Firearms Licensees of expanding interest of criminal networks’ intention to utilize straw purchasers in acquiring large caliber firearms such as .50 caliber and/or belt fed rifles within the next 60 days. This activity is anticipated to occur throughout the entire State of Texas. Please contact your local ATF office if any suspicious, attempted or finalized purchases occur.

I posted it on one of the Texas hunting forums and OMG it was like a firecracker in a wasp's nest. "IT HAS BEGUN," was just one hysterical shriek.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16412 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I don’t have an issue with the ATF issuing a warning, it goes to show what a s-show law enforcement has become.

They know enough about the inner plans and workings of these groups, which are criminal enterprises I am assuming, yet can’t find enough to arrest them for any of the multitude of crimes that these groups commit enough of to get labeled as criminal enterprises…

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
While I don’t have an issue with the ATF issuing a warning, it goes to show what a s-show law enforcement has become.

They know enough about the inner plans and workings of these groups, which are criminal enterprises I am assuming, yet can’t find enough to arrest them for any of the multitude of crimes that these groups commit enough of to get labeled as criminal enterprises…

Law enforcement is a shitshow because they passed along some intel to FFL holders about potentially illegal gun purchases?

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15120 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they have the ability to gather that kind of internal intel, then they have the ability to disrupt other crimes and arrest the perpetrators.

If they don’t have that level of intelligence then what are they passing on? A rumor?

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they have the ability to gather that kind of internal intel, then they have the ability to disrupt other crimes and arrest the perpetrators.

If they don’t have that level of intelligence then what are they passing on? A rumor?

Well, you tell us since you apparently have the inside track on criminal evidence and prosecutions. 2020

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s simple logic.

If they have the inside information to say that criminal organizations are going to try and get belt fed and other .50 BMG guns via straw purchases in Texas in the next couple months, then they are revealing they are getting inside information on plans.

If they are getting that, then they should be rolling these guys up for their illegal acts… they have the probable cause and the evidence.

Enough to slam dunk convict? Maybe not. But enough to charge and thus disrupt and break up whatever they are doing.

Prevention is better than reacting after the fact, isn’t it?

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
our stores have been getting both the phone mail an email notices such as this for years.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s simple logic.

If they have the inside information to say that criminal organizations are going to try and get belt fed and other .50 BMG guns via straw purchases in Texas in the next couple months, then they are revealing they are getting inside information on plans.

If they are getting that, then they should be rolling these guys up for their illegal acts… they have the probable cause and the evidence.

Enough to slam dunk convict? Maybe not. But enough to charge and thus disrupt and break up whatever they are doing.

Except it does not do any good to arrest folks you cannot convict.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:
It’s simple logic.

I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV but I'm guessing the evidentiary bar for an advisory asking for a "heads up" about a certain behavior is somewhat lower than the "arrest and prosecute" bar...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is true. Dealing in an industry that uses explosives, when a site within a region has material stolen, the ATF will make contact w all in the industry in that region.

Sounds like they may have have arrested a couple so buying, and are now giving notice to FFLs in Texas this is happening. That is just a guess.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is true. Dealing in an industry that uses explosives, when a site within a region has material stolen, the ATF will make contact w all in the industry in that region.

Sounds like they may have have arrested a couple so buying, and are now giving notice to FFLs in Texas this is happening. That is just a guess.

If they are acquiring them for use against Americans we should just chop a couple of Predator drones with Hellfires to ATF control for a few days.

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:

If they are acquiring them for use against Americans we should just chop a couple of Predator drones with Hellfires to ATF control for a few days.

there's that amazing adherence to the rule of law you are so known for

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38503 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
quote:

there's that amazing adherence to the rule of law you are so known for

That's why I don't want the military using them directly. Sheesh...

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Belt Fed weapons? Not seen one of those at the LGS.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
Belt Fed weapons? Not seen one of those at the LGS.

I guess they REALLY have a feral hog problem...

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Here's the thing. If I had been trying to sell a Barrett .50 in various Texas classifieds in a state where there are no serious restrictions on the private transfer of firearms and wanted the damned thing gone, and a coupla huevońs in a black Suburban with tinted windows and Chihuahua plates showed up and wanted to buy it, cash on the barrelhead, would I sell?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16412 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your intent was to sell to make a profit, your C&R license would not be sufficient, and you would probably be prosecuted as an unlicensed dealer.

I do not think you would sell.

State law cannot trump that Federal Legal standard created by Case Law that long predates current ATF Regs.

Any WWI, WWII, pre-ban belt fed machine gun that is registered can be transferred to a non-FFL, private citizen. It can be done. There is a process, and they are ex-spenive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
It’s simple logic.

I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV but I'm guessing the evidentiary bar for an advisory asking for a "heads up" about a certain behavior is somewhat lower than the "arrest and prosecute" bar...

This would be correct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen some semiauto M2HB clones out there. They wanted $15k for one.

While I think they are silly, some folks are buying them.

Personally, if you want belt fed, get a tax stamped version.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I posted it on one of the Texas hunting forums and OMG it was like a firecracker in a wasp's nest. "IT HAS BEGUN," was just one hysterical shriek.

In what universe does this make sense? Who on this earth sees the internet and the people who use it as sane and logical? Particularly when you post something for the express purpose of getting a response, the more outrageous the better. Anyone with a brain knows dam well that to post ANYTHING on the internet is to invite spectacle. Get a clue how insane the internet is or….stop being disingenuous.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are assuming he posted to receive a response. He may have been posting to give the community a heads up.

What we have seen is those who are socially engaged, and social media is social engagement, are the voices the internet group backed politicians receive data or feedback from.

SCI knows to send me surveys and advocacy literature because of my presence on the internet, what I buy and look up; even when I did not belong to SCI.

That is why the voices on social media and the internet are important.

Alex Jones is a social media voice that had an influence on the Right. Rush Limbaugh before him.

Marjorie Greene rode Qanon to bring a Top 10 fundraiser in the 2022 Election Cycle.

It does not matter if you or I follow or listen to the voices and their choir on new media. What mattress is the Greene’s and the Election machine does.

Greene was the 3rd highest GOP House fundraiser. Greene raised $7.4 million in political donations, the fourth-highest among the 212 House Republicans, a feat made even more remarkable by the fact that the three who outraised Greene — McCarthy, the minority leader; Steve Scalise, the minority whip; and Dan Crenshaw of Texas — were beneficiaries of corporate PACs that have shunned Greene.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/1...e-taylor-greene.html

https://www.businessinsider.in...cleshow/99567830.cms

So, those voices on the Texas Hunt Forums are being data mined and distilled into politics.

The same is happening on the Left to be sure.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Nope, assuming nothing. The email was the heads up. And social engagement through social media is a misnomer at best and farcical in reality. Please enlighten how an isolated individual,by themselves in front of a screen is social?

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is social in here you and I are communicating. These communications in the arrogate are not unknown.

They are collected and distilled into the next big rallying cry to supporters who fed them to interest groups and candidates.

Again, see Greene going to the top of GOP fundraising repeating Qanon dribble.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so I can just mosey on into any gun shop in Texas and get me a Ma Deuce?

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
so I can just mosey on into any gun shop in Texas and get me a Ma Deuce?

Only if you can fire it from the hip...