One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
quote:
Are you sure about Obama? He was born in 1961, the draft ended in 1973, that would mean he was 12 years old.

You might want to check your facts.

Roll Eyes

kids still have to register for it when they turn 18.
can't be too far gone.

Obama didn't register because he couldn't find his American birth certificate.

False. There was NO registration requirement in the spring of 1979 when Obama graduated at 18. It was reinstated during his college years. And I call bullshit about the birth certificate statement you made. I both registered and served and have never had a birth certificate.

I was required to register in 1983.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36655 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what? It wasn't a requirement in 1979.

Posts: 15883 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
President Carter reinstated the registration on July 2, 1980 after the Russian invasion of Afghanistan in 1979.

It had been suspended by President Ford since March 29 1975

That's why there were huge protests in front of the post offices in July of 1980 when most of us ran the gauntlet...

Memories of the Vietnam War were still fresh in people's minds and the anti-war movement still very much alive and well.

Posts: 2969 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have had a great deal of fun at the dailymails expense over the years, but in this case I will say without doubt this is an excellent expose and definitely worth our time.

One thing's for sure, someone put their arse on the line to get this story and publish it.

Thanks Saeed

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Are you sure about Obama? He was born in 1961, the draft ended in 1973, that would mean he was 12 years old.

Roll Eyes

can't be too far gone.

False. There was NO registration requirement in the spring of 1979 when Obama graduated at 18. It was reinstated during his college years. And I call bullshit about the birth certificate statement you made. I both registered and served and have never had a birth certificate.

Obama was 17 in the Spring of 1979.

Summer begins June 21.

He was born on August 4th

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the history lesson Ty some of that flew under my radar as I was too young to keep track at that time.

Wymple, I see your point now against my post.

But it appears Ty is accurate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36655 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Roll Eyes

can't be too far gone.

Obama was 17 in the Spring of 1979.

Summer begins June 21.

He was born on August 4th

So he graduated from HS still only 17. He still graduated in the spring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Sen. Paul has led the fight with Dems both at the state and Fed level to reduce mandatory sentences. For Sen. Paul he wraps it in Liberty. What it is, on the Right side is “save” money. Less prisoners less cost.

However, I am of the guess such saves no money just letting these low life’s out to come back through.

A State Senator introduced a bill to reduce sentences for repeat felons this time. Almost got out of committee. Her name is Senator Adrienne Southworth. She deserves all the heat she can get. She is a Republican by the way.

The very cheapest method of handling dope dealers is A hemp rope!

Cheap and reusable.....

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
I guess Sen. Paul is entitled to his opinion.

But, if that opinion is in concert with the right's position in Kentucky, being it is all about saving money, well, he can keep that opinion.

In the last few days I watched a documentary on the very subject matter of finite resources in California's judicial system.
( now keep in mind, California is the 5th largest economy in the world behind Germany )
It essentially said that there were just so many jail and prison cells, just so many courtrooms, just so many officers of the Court, and just so many hours in the day in their overburdened system that California is forced to release a great number of criminals right back into society with little to zero consequences.

Not sure if that is the case in Kentucky or not. If it is, and i would assume California and Kentucky are politically polar opposites, I'm vexed, how as a society we have ended up here?

I mean seriously, can't we appropriate the means to remedy this situation?

It's not sustainable, and The People WILL lose confidence.

Frankly, it borders on the definition of insanity. A craps shoot at best.

Where do we go from here?

I know how we got there!

No fear of incarceration!!!! To you or me it would be horrible, even as it is now.

I say go back to the old ways, make prisoners work, no a/c, minimal,heat.

No civil rights, bare survival......criminals need to highly fear the consequences!

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
As I said above, the Cartels operate with arrogant impunity.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
still don't make any difference if he was 17 or 24, you were required to register when the law come into effect.
it's not like you grandfathered out of registering, unless you were a foreign citizen.

Posts: 4983 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
still don't make any difference if he was 17 or 24, you were required to register when the law come into effect.
it's not like you grandfathered out of registering, unless you were a foreign citizen.

So where is the evidence he did not register?

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, now you can STFU?

Claim #5, Selective Service registration. Obama’s Selective Service registration is public. A copy has been posted publicly, and the Selective Service confirmed that Obama registered for the draft on Sept. 4, 1980, and was given registration number 61-1125539-1.
Worth noting is that nobody in the U.S. has been drafted for military service since 1972, the year Obama turned 11. Obama, like other young men turning age 18 since then, was required to register on a standby basis, in case Congress ever resumes an active military draft. Failure to register is technically a crime, and disqualifies a man for federal student aid or from holding certain federal jobs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Reagan ran against Carter that year (1980) one of the planks he ran on
was to overturn Carter's resumption of The Selective Service.
~~~~~~~~~

https://www.independent.org/news/article.asp?id=1317

He commented in 1979 that it

“rests on the assumption that your kids belong to the state.... That assumption isn’t a new one. The Nazis thought it was a great idea.”

But once elected, Reagan kept the Selective Service intact.

~~~~~~~~~

It was a sobering baptism into politics for this 18 y.o., lemme tell ya.

That said, were you to ask me how I feel now, after 40 years of retrospect,

I would say The United States has the finest all volunteer military on earth.

Something President Andrés Manuel López Obrador would do well to recognize...