New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCOTUS will hear challenge to bump-stock ban Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...mp-stocks-rcna121466

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15127 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i tried one on a friend's ar, when they first came out -- first shot was fine, next couple could barely hit a barn from inside it.

It'll be interesting to see what SCOTUS does with this one, as *I* think the correct answer is to have Congress pass a "clean bill" either way. Same for arm braces, as well

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i tried one on a friend's ar, when they first came out -- first shot was fine, next couple could barely hit a barn from inside it.

It'll be interesting to see what SCOTUS does with this one, as *I* think the correct answer is to have Congress pass a "clean bill" either way. Same for arm braces, as well

Arm braces? Like they use on Olympics pistols?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14388 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Great point Tom

But for any effective defense, best gun is semi auto so you don’t waste ammo and your aim is true with every shot

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I recently went out and shot with a friend that has the machine gun permit. I took a couple of what we'd think of as normal rifles and he had an AR with a brand new trigger in it for full auto. My friend mentioned some excitement leading up to it and when it was time I guess, he stuffed a magazine in, aimed about 40' in front of us and emptied the magazine. My friend was genuinely excited and happy that he'd been able to spray earth with a full clip of .223.

I just never seen anything dumber in my life.

Posts: 9125 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

i assume you know, but an arm brace on an ar pistol is being declared an SBR, even though the ATF had priorly decided it was fine

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

i assume you know, but an arm brace on an ar pistol is being declared an SBR, even though the ATF had priorly decided it was fine

Pretty unbelievable. You buy a legal firearm two years ago and now you're guilty of a felony if you fail to register it or disassemble it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This could go one of 4 ways:

1) S. Ct., could invalidate the restriction as not surviving strict scrutiny;

2) The S. Ct., could hold the Agency improperly made the regulation and invalidate. However, this would allow the Agency (ATF) the opportunity to try to pass the ref correctly;

3) The S. Ct., could hold the reg a violation of the enabling statute being the GCA. That would be death kiss unless Congress amends the GCA (probably how I would rule).

Or

4) Uphold the restriction as a proper use of rule making by the ATF under the enabling statue.

There is a 5th Opinion. The S. Ct., could overturn Chevron and is mandated difference which would destroy the entire foundation of Administrative Law as we know it.

Posts: 10953 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...mp-stocks-rcna121466

Belongs in the same class as the Pederson Device, a rapid-fire accessory to a semiautomatic weapon.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14388 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . it would be interesting for someone to make the case for having bump-stocks. Seems like such an obvious subterfuge. Also does not do the interests of responsible gun owners any good since it simply allows those opposed to gun ownership to cite them as example of why gun owners and gun manufacturers need regulating since they are incapable of self-policing themselves.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Self policing whom?
When someone abuses something and commits crime, why am I as gun owner guilty?
You sure say some dumb thing MJ

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I find the bump stock a loophole… but one that the ATF signed off on.

I’ve similarly seen how effective they are. Nothing like an actual full auto as far as controllability and effectiveness. Essentially makes your rifle into a single shot plus firecrackers.

AFAIC, they should ban any further manufacture (because of that stupid further registry ban) and let anyone who has one keep it. It certainly isn’t a firearm, and just is a pretty idiotic accessory.

The brace is a bit different, but the clowns going around on the internet telling folks this is how to get around the SBR rule were the ones that broke it.

Posts: 10656 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bivoj:
Self policing whom?

I apologize. Sometimes I forget that to communicate with many on the forum you have to dumb things down to an elementary school level. I the future I will make it a point to stick with single syllable words.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Self policing whom?

I apologize. Sometimes I forget that to communicate with many on the forum you have to dumb things down to an elementary school level. I the future I will make it a point to stick with single syllable words.

I think Jines is speaking directly to me. Big Grin Guilty as charged! rotflmo

Don't we think he has a point? 21st century gun ownership has gone bananas! 50 bmg rifles, sbr's, drum magazines, subsonic .338's, bump stocks, ..... It's like after living thru the "War on Terror" and having viewed "Zero Dark Thirty" and "Act of Valor" half a dozen times each we've developed this self image of being a graduate of "Hell Week" and a Fort Bragg alumni.
This is not Outdoor Sportsmanship nor Securing a Free State.

Posts: 9125 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Some of the blame goes to Tv and Hollywood and plenty of blame to government and arms industry
Everyone is racing to have better and faster shooting weapon and it’s all around us and in the end it’s all gun owners fault?

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of the blame goes to Tv and Hollywood and plenty of blame to government and arms industry
Everyone is racing to have better and faster shooting weapon and it’s all around us and in the end it’s all gun owners fault?

Generally speaking, I'm not inclined to say "this is your fault, you did it!".

TV and Hollywood cater to consumer demand, as does the government and arms industry. If Americans didn't lionize Rambo, Chuck Norris, the m-16 and Tactical Socks, we wouldn't be here.

Shouldn't we lionize stock checkering, buffalo skin shoes and duck decoy carving? Why are we raising sons to be warriors instead of farmers, doctors and poets? Why aren't our families prioritizing duck clubs and trout streams?

There several members here obsessed with Foreign Entanglements, American Adventurism, World Police. This chickenhawk bravado feeds the idea of the necessity of drum magazines and bump stocks. You know who you are kiddo.

Me? I own an AR in 6.8 spc, but I'm mostly interested in my 400 H&H, a 6.5 Swede and a model 8 in 25 Remington. I'm 55! I'm not going to battle or on a spec op. I'm gonna go hunt, maybe shoot a little, bust a few clays, knock a few gongs. This American won't feed the Military Industrial Complex.

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:

Generally speaking, I'm not inclined to say "this is your fault, you did it!".

TV and Hollywood cater to consumer demand, as does the government and arms industry. If Americans didn't lionize Rambo, Chuck Norris, the m-16 and Tactical Socks, we wouldn't be here.

Shouldn't we lionize stock checkering, buffalo skin shoes and duck decoy carving? Why are we raising sons to be warriors instead of farmers, doctors and poets? Why aren't our families prioritizing duck clubs and trout streams?

There several members here obsessed with Foreign Entanglements, American Adventurism, World Police. This chickenhawk bravado feeds the idea of the necessity of drum magazines and bump stocks. You know who you are kiddo.

Me? I own an AR in 6.8 spc, but I'm mostly interested in my 400 H&H, a 6.5 Swede and a model 8 in 25 Remington. I'm 55! I'm not going to battle or on a spec op. I'm gonna go hunt, maybe shoot a little, bust a few clays, knock a few gongs. This American won't feed the Military Industrial Complex.

Aimed at MJ and others of similar thinking aka Democrats kind of state of mind

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
again, i think it's a dumb thing -- though it's literally designed from an even dumber practice "bump firing" ... generally someone jams a thumb in the trigger and grabs a belt loop and the recoil and grip pressure trip the trigger repeated .. about as accurate as a bucket of gravel

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
again, i think it's a dumb thing -- though it's literally designed from an even dumber practice "bump firing" ... generally someone jams a thumb in the trigger and grabs a belt loop and the recoil and grip pressure trip the trigger repeated .. about as accurate as a bucket of gravel

It's friggin' stupid. It has no utility.

Gun owners do themselves no favors when defending the desire to use and own stupid gun gimmick shit like this. Looks bad for everybody.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yep, i think it's garbage - but if it's legal and someone else wants to buy one, well, it's still junk

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:

It's friggin' stupid. It has no utility.

Gun owners do themselves no favors when defending the desire to use and own stupid gun gimmick shit like this. Looks bad for everybody.

It has only one practical use: dumping lots of rounds into a crowd like in Las Vegas.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9579 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Fair…so why do we have fast cars and especially muscle cars when we can only legally drive 80-85 miles per hour
After 100 it becomes a dangerous weapon
Isn’t that stupid for manufacturers to make vehicles like that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bump stock’s utility is that it allows folks who don’t have the money for a NFA weapon to get a gun that kind of looks like a full auto gun that can make noise at the range like one.

It would never have happened without the Hughes amendment.

Fireworks are popular. Kind of a similar phenomenon.

To be honest, I don’t really know if at a couple hundred yards a bump stock is even minute of crowd. I couldn’t keep more than 2 rounds on an IPSC target at 15 feet. I can keep the whole mag on one with a m16.

Posts: 10656 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fair…so why do we have fast cars and especially muscle cars when we can only legally drive 80-85 miles per hour
After 100 it becomes a dangerous weapon
Isn’t that stupid for manufacturers to make vehicles like that?

Because some men have little peckers and not everybody has a place to make noise with a jet boat?

It's hilarious out on Kentucky Lake, guys have boats with 500 or 600 hp, can hear them three miles away but they never seem to drive them that far, just jump in it wide open for 15 seconds to make a lot of noise then back out of it. Most of them have more power than their hull can handle and nearly all have more than they can. Plus, if they ran wide open for five minutes not only would they be going faster than they have any desire or ability to go they'd likely have to rebuild the engine.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9579 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote